AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Snowmobile - The World Keeps Spinning Album Cover

Snowmobile - The World Keeps Spinning

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
SnowmobileThe World Keeps Spinning
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 11, 2007

I have long debated the merits of being extremely lazy during my college years. My argument for laziness is grounded in the belief that once I start a full-time job, I will never have the chance to truly lounge around again. And just as I was starting to accept my own lack of worthwhile goals, I heard Snowmobile’s debut release, The World Keeps Spinning.

Snowmobile is a single college student by the name of Francis Allen. While I skip class to watch Price Is Right, Allen ditches to create some genuinely ethereal pieces on his laptop. The World Keeps Spinning is a smorgasbord (fancy word for buffet) of post-rock genres. The album serenely flows from short, beat-heavy tracks like “Spring Has Sprung” to the sprawling, more traditional “Your Time Is Up.” And to think, all of these songs were created with little more than a guitar, a keyboard, and a trusty computer program (in this case, Garageband).

Some of you may recognize the Snowmobile moniker from the much-heralded AP Mix. The song from that collection, “Asteroid”, also makes an appearance on The World Keeps Spinning. The track features an electric guitar playing simple, heavy riffs which forms the basis for the synthesized strings to glide around.

While Allen’s experimentation between styles is risky, the mixture of ambient tracks (“Daydreamer”) and looped electronics (“Chin Up”) never feels strained. And don’t be worried about production values; if someone told me Snowmobile was a more “experienced” act, I would easily believe them.

Quite possibly the most stunning song throughout, “Aslan Is On The Move” begins with minimalist synth and light cymbals. As the music progresses and the climax gets closer and closer, you can’t help but grin. I say that not because the jangling guitars and crash of sound is so satisfying, but because you can almost picture Allen composing the track in his dimly lit dormitory. The lure of breaking the little guy to the masses is the (completely selfish) reason I keep writing. Take note, Snowmobile is Exhibit A.

Recommended If You Like: Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, MMORPG's, Mono, programming HTML

Check out some tunes at his myspace

The ENTIRE album is up for free download here

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:40 PM on 06/14/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
an ap.net member made this? this stuff is legit. props.
08:36 AM on 06/15/07
morte
User Info.
Congrats Francis!!
08:41 AM on 06/15/07
rosieh93
User Info.
nice work, it sounds great!
09:16 AM on 06/15/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Wow, this is awesome.
09:36 AM on 06/15/07
angelusdomini
Thiago (Tee-Ah-Go)
User Info.
This is a great album, I've been listening to it for the past few days. Good review Blake!

PS: I've said it a million times, but I love love love the cover artwork!
09:44 AM on 06/15/07
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
AOTY for me so far. Francis, well done mate.
09:58 AM on 06/15/07
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
I wish I could download this. I'm going to have to wait awhile :(

The stuff I've already heard is awesome! Good job.
10:16 AM on 06/15/07
believethehyph
He scored goals my lord
User Info.
I actually couldn't be happier seeing this. Nice decision to review it. Its a great album, truely it is. Nice one friend.
12:48 PM on 06/15/07
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
Amazing album.
02:53 PM on 06/15/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I love this album
06:06 PM on 06/15/07
Shooter McGavin
User Info.
Some of the tracks remind me a lot of Explosions in the Sky. Good Stuff made even better the fact that it's totally free.
07:03 PM on 06/15/07
cris545
they're coming after us
User Info.
nice review Blake, great album, I'm listening now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos