AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shirock - Everything Burns Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 7
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 57%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Shirock - Everything Burns

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (09/26/11)
Shirock - Everything Burns
Record Label: The Movement Group
Release Date (Original): February 2009

The problem with U2 is that they’re U2. I’ve never liked them and I’m sure that I’m not the only one. Yes, I know that Bono has raised a bajillion dollars for every poor child in the world, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a prick. For me, that makes it easy to hate him and his Jesus-like status in the rock world. And even though Shirock, from Nashville, sounds eerily similar to U2, I don’t hate them right now. It’ll probably take the next few hundred words for me to figure out why, but here it goes.

Actually, I might’ve jumped the gun. The first track on Everything Burns, “New Solution,” sounds so much like U2 that I’m not convinced it’s not U2. Honestly, it’s an anthem – it truly is. It’s booming and it’s invasive, but both of those are good things, kind of. “Time Goes By” is another U2-like track, but I still don’t hate it. What the fuck is going on with me?! There is a different kind of rock sound to each track that lies in the instrumentals that I ::think:: makes me tolerate each one. I’m still scratching my head. Literally. And, before I tell you that “Still Young” starts out like an Anberlin song, I’ll just say nothing. Now...“Still Young” starts out like an Anberlin song. The rest sounds like another U2 song, especially what sounds like a weird foreign Bono accent from lead singer, Chuck Shirock. “I’ll Take Rain” is sung by a female lead, Pap (Shirock). It’s weirdly poppy, but sounds country and alternative. Her voice is decent, but nothing spectacular. “Say It Out” is probably from a recent, or old, U2 album – I’m not entirely sure. “Drag You Down” is going to be the new U2 single in 1, 2, 3, or 14 years. Honestly, you can probably stop here if you’re tired of U2. If not, please continue. All tracks will follow this same vain.

Honestly, I stopped the review there because there’s only so many times I was willing to physically type "U2." What’s even funnier is that until right now, I hadn’t really Google’d a review of their album. Turns out the U2 comparison is spot on. But, to be truthfully honest (redundant), the quality of the production is good and the overall “sound” is quality, but I just can't get behind it. Also, the lead singer is from Nashville singing about “be who you’ll be” on Everything Burns, but he puts on an accent and sounds like he’s from some imaginary place in the UK where U2 and other funny accents come together.

What’s really funny is that this band could really make it big. As U2 cover band. Or as an actual band. And that’s the truly, truly funny part. Turns out that I really don’t like the tracks on this album, but I’ll probably end up giving it a 60%. Did I? Also, did they make it as a big band. Let me know in like 2 years.

Recommended if You LikeU2, that’s it.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
06:31 PM on 10/10/11
wecameaswaffles
Alternately Thrilled & Desperate
User Info.
these guys are pretty good.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates