Username
Password

Album Review
Sky's The Limit - Sky's The Limit Album Cover

Sky's The Limit - Sky's The Limit

Reviewed by
Sky's The Limit - Sky's The Limit
Record Label: Spartan Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: October 5, 2010

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
03:12 PM on 09/27/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Interesting choice for a review.
04:23 PM on 09/27/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Interesting choice for a review.
How so?
04:40 PM on 09/27/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's so after the release, and it isn't an incredibly important or influential release. I mean, I understand your thoughts, it just seems somewhat like a waste of time that you could spend writing a more necessary review.
04:43 PM on 09/27/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
It's so after the release, and it isn't an incredibly important or influential release. I mean, I understand your thoughts, it just seems somewhat like a waste of time that you could spend writing a more necessary review.
I think it's also important to cover things that haven't been covered, not just new things. That and I need stuff to write about while I wait for the few new releases I have to come to me. A lot of what I'm interested in as far as new releases go is getting covered by other staff.
04:57 PM on 09/27/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's also important to cover things that haven't been covered, not just new things. That and I need stuff to write about while I wait for the few new releases I have to come to me. A lot of what I'm interested in as far as new releases go is getting covered by other staff.
Gotcha.
06:39 PM on 09/27/11
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
Band name is too terrible to warrant a listen.
08:45 PM on 09/27/11
brandonisstupid
User Info.
Nice review, Sean. Glad to see this very undder-rated record get some attention. Although, the production of it leaves much to be desired I still really enjoy it. However, I was surprised to see you compare it to Singularity. That's been the one and only release Dave Elkins' release that I never really got into.

P.S. Sky's The Limit is a great band name.
05:24 AM on 09/28/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
Nice review, Sean. Glad to see this very undder-rated record get some attention. Although, the production of it leaves much to be desired I still really enjoy it. However, I was surprised to see you compare it to Singularity. That's been the one and only release Dave Elkins' release that I never really got into.

P.S. Sky's The Limit is a great band name.
Thank you! Like I said in the review, there are some big similarities there but D:B definitely takes the cake. What didn't you like about singularity? That album has always suffered from horrendous amounts of overcomparison.

And Jeff, I had no idea you were so closed-minded. =P
11:58 AM on 09/28/11
xqueenofheartsx
User Info.
Gotta give Sean some credit. Mae was and continues to be an important band to a lot of people and they definitely left their mark on the scene. It's always interesting to witness the evolution of an artist and this release is one of those rare times when you can go back in time and really experience where things started.
12:33 PM on 09/28/11
brandonisstupid
User Info.
Thank you! Like I said in the review, there are some big similarities there but D:B definitely takes the cake. What didn't you like about singularity? That album has always suffered from horrendous amounts of overcomparison.

And Jeff, I had no idea you were so closed-minded. =P

I don't know if it was pressure from their label to have more of a mainstream rock sound or if it was just too much of a Pearl Jam/ Nirvana grunge influence, but to me it felt like they were completely throwing out their emo/indie rock sound that they had become known for. I don't mean that in the sense that I think they sold out, because I believe a band should be able to do whatever they want with their music, but I don't think they pulled it off very well and I don't think that sound was truly what they were/are. Just look at their EP's after Singularity. To me it was more of a progression from their first two albums and they sound much better than Singularity does. For the record, I do think Singularity has a two or three that are up to par with the rest of Mae's material. But it isn't one of those records I can listen to from front to back without skipping any tracks like the rest of their discography.
01:53 PM on 09/28/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
I don't know if it was pressure from their label to have more of a mainstream rock sound or if it was just too much of a Pearl Jam/ Nirvana grunge influence, but to me it felt like they were completely throwing out their emo/indie rock sound that they had become known for. I don't mean that in the sense that I think they sold out, because I believe a band should be able to do whatever they want with their music, but I don't think they pulled it off very well and I don't think that sound was truly what they were/are. Just look at their EP's after Singularity. To me it was more of a progression from their first two albums and they sound much better than Singularity does. For the record, I do think Singularity has a two or three that are up to par with the rest of Mae's material. But it isn't one of those records I can listen to from front to back without skipping any tracks like the rest of their discography.
I agree about the general lack of continuity with Singularity but I genuinely enjoyed the twist of grunge or however you would describe it. I suppose we'd have to look for interviews to find out if the record came out the way the wanted it.
06:17 PM on 09/28/11
brandonisstupid
User Info.
I agree about the general lack of continuity with Singularity but I genuinely enjoyed the twist of grunge or however you would describe it. I suppose we'd have to look for interviews to find out if the record came out the way the wanted it.

Yeah it would be interesting to see what they think of Singularity know, because once bands release a new record they are so biased towards it. I do remember seeing Dave say that a big reason they decided to go independent was for both freedom from a label and also the ability to produce their records the way they want to. Everybody knows that Howard Benson is a great producer, but for whatever reason Dave and him did not collaborate well in my opinion. At least not as well as you would like to see two talented individuals interact. But you have to give credit to Dave, he did a fantastic job producing on all the other Mae records, so maybe he just doesn't work well with another producer. Maybe i'm biased cause i've met Dave on a few occasions and i'm from the same area, but I don't think he got enough credit for his production of the Mae records.
07:37 PM on 09/28/11
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
In addition to the band name being terrible, I also don't care for Mae. Enough reason for me not to check this out.

Would have to question the sanity of anyone who considers Sky's the Limit a "great band name"

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos