Hatfield Beech - 09.21.11
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer: |
1. How did you get your band name?
From the town our recording studio is based out of in Pennsylvania.
2. How did this band get started?
It started out as a side project after my previous band dissolved; Set Fire To Man was a 2-man group where I would record all of the music and my singer would record all of the vocals. After Set Fire To Man started to fizzle out and I was going crazy with pent up ideas for new songs, I started writing and recording my own material. One song turned into 5, which turned into 20, and I found myself with a new project, Hatfield Beech.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights, Coheed and Cambria, Brand New.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I'd love to play a show with Thrice so I could sit down with them and tell them how much of a musical inspiration The Illusion of Safety was on my life. It completely changed my musical tastes. And learning Teppei's leads turned me into the musician I am today.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Taco Bell Dollar Menu all the way!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Writing these songs has become an outlet for me to get my frustrations, hopes, and dreams down on paper; and I hope that listening to our material provides the release that recording it gives us!
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Steven Gostkowski, the Patriots kicker. Doesn't really seem like he gets knocked around that much and he gets to high-five Tom Brady any time he wants.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My fiance for putting up with countless nights of having to hear muffled screaming vocals while she tries to watch TV.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Provide a better outlet for local bands to get their music out there without needing the help of labels. Exposure can be hard to come by, especially when you can't devote 24/7 of your time to your art.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Being complimented by the guys from Just Surrender when we opened for them at a local show.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is where I get all of my music news and where I check reviews on albums before I go out and drop crazy amounts of money at Best Buy to pick them up. I also use AP.net to find new bands that I haven't heard of before.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"True Lung Abuse"...it was the first heavy song I ever wrote and it's the perfect song to crank on the way home from work.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Blink 182 - Enema Of The State and Green Day - Dookie. I listened to that shit for months on end when they came out!
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to guess lottery numbers so I can hit the jackpot and upgrade my studio!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Lot of pacing. And I always try to catch the other bands that play before.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
When I'm not writing music, I write software for a living.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I don't see any avenues in terrestrial radio for Hatfield Beech to flourish, but Sirius/XM is a really exciting medium right now, as is Pandora. I like the idea of specialized radio stations, rather than 4 channels (rock/top 40/rap/talk). Internet radio and satellite radio let you hone in on the type of music you want to listen to, which I think opens up more opportunities for "out there" acts to get heard.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm a volleyball rockstar.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can walk in a straight line, say my ABC's backwards and stand on one foot while touching my nose!
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |