AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Wilco - The Whole Love Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Wilco - The Whole Love

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (09/29/11)
Wilco - The Whole Love
Record Label: dBpm
Release Date: September 27, 2011

When "Art of Almost", the seven-minute track that kicks off Wilco's eighth studio album The Whole Love, pours forth from my speakers, it sounds almost like the prodigal son returning after a shorter-than-it-felt-like stint away. After two albums of laid-back and rather content-sounding fare, one of which-- in my mind anyway-- succeeded wildly in spite of itself (I dare you to tell me Sky Blue Sky wasn't the perfect accompaniment to the late spring days that followed its release or that "Impossible Germany" isn't just the best breezy jam ever) and another that fell sort of flat and had me wondering if Jeff Tweedy wasn't about ready kick back in a nice comfy rocking chair, ashtray at the ready, and call it a good-- nay, great-- run, the band open their latest with a noise-filled suckerpunch sure to surprise (and delight) anyone expecting another batch of low-T, middle-aged rock. "Almost", which would have fit right in on an album like A Ghost Is Born and which, musically, sounds more like something off TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain than Wilco (The Album), signals the tone of The Whole Love in general, which seems to document a band striving to be relevant, essential even, rather than grizzled veterans doing their thing and cranking out yet another mostly for-fans-only set of tunes.

That's not to say that The Whole Love is an hour of art-rock dissonance. Tweedy is still very much the pop-rock songsmith he's been all along, even throughout his band's more experimental mid-career stretch. One needn't look further than the single "I Might" for proof. Despite its speaker-blowing bass-line, frequent blasts of guitar squall, and lyrics about piss-and-blood sno-cones and setting the kids on fire, there's no denying that, at it's heart, it's a sprightly pop song. Ditto for "Dawned on Me", which may very well be the most overtly-hooky Wilco song since "Box Full of Letters". There's also some material like the slide guitar-dusted "Black Moon", a serene but unsettling tune that's more worthy of the y'all-ternative tag the band's been adorned with than anything else they've recorded recently.

The Whole Love also contains a lot less of the Tweedy who opened up Sky Blue Sky with the lyrics, "Maybe the sun will shine today," without actually seeming to care one way or the other. He's definitely more sure this time out: "I loathe the sun," he sings on the appropriately titled "Sunloathe". At the risk of sounding filled with schadenfreude, it's rather nice to hear his darker side come out, whether it's in simple terms ("sadness is my luxury" from "Borne Alone") or more cryptic ("I know I won't be the last cold captain tied to the mast" from "Whole Love"). Rather than causing resentment or envy toward the artists' self-satisfaction and comfort in their own skin, this is very much a record with which we can commiserate, which I think is the ideal tone for Wilco, given Tweedy's naturally world-weary yet soulful vocal delivery.

I was rather surprised two years ago by some of the assertions about Wilco (The Album), that it was somehow summarial of the band's career, when in fact, it seemed to me like the band had traveled farther down the road toward making soundtracks to a nice Sunday afternoon nap. The Whole Love is much more encompassing of everything vital in the Wilco catalog, the twangy, the noisy, and yes, a little of the leisurely. It sounds a little like a bird-flip to anyone who might have written them off as getting old or losing their edge, as well-earned as such comments might have been. I'm just happy that whatever prompted this turnabout did so, and hope the band stay driven to defy expectations well into the future.

Track Listing1. Art of Almost (7:16)
2. I Might (3:58)
3. Sunloathe (3:19)
4. Dawned on Me (3:43)
5. Black Moon (3:56)
6. Borne Alone (3:55)
7. Open Mind (3:40)
8. Capitol City (4:03)
9. Standing O (3:29)
10. Rising Red Lung (3:09)
11. Whole Love (3:49)
12. One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend) (12:04)

RIYLWilco's Summerteeth; Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; Wilco's A Ghost Is Born

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
02:02 PM on 09/29/11
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Convoluted sentences FTW!
05:15 PM on 09/29/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
You knocked it out of the park with this summation. You honestly said it all, and said it all quite well. Convoluted? Maybe. Kick-ass? Absolutely. Nice work mate.
06:55 AM on 09/30/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I'll have to listen again didn't like much but "I might" off this album... maybe I just needed more time with it.
07:18 AM on 09/30/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Definitely a solid album
07:33 AM on 09/30/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
One of my favorites of the year, you summed it up well.
07:50 AM on 09/30/11
Graham311
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this album, one of my favorites also. Much better than Wilco (The Album) and maybe their best since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Though they will never top that obviously
08:00 AM on 09/30/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Can't wait to dive into this one. Never got into The Album, but i actually really enjoyed SBS - especially the opening track. Can never have enough Tweedy.

Just recently copped Golden Smog's Down By The Mainstream on double vinyl - so fucking good.
08:03 AM on 09/30/11
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
This album is absolutely dreadful.
08:48 AM on 09/30/11
iancat87
The Ian Cat
User Info.
If by "absolutely dreadful" you mean "positively excellent," then yes, I know what you mean.
09:01 AM on 09/30/11
IceAge/HeatWave
it's never just the hefenrefer
User Info.
will probably crack the top 5 on my AOTY list.
09:02 AM on 09/30/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
This album is absolutely dreadful.
yeah, it seems that way huh? with all the universal praise and all...

i know music is subjective, but you're dead wrong on that one my friend. this album is fantastic.
01:46 PM on 09/30/11
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
yeah, it seems that way huh? with all the universal praise and all...

i know music is subjective, but you're dead wrong on that one my friend. this album is fantastic.
Actually, most places haven't given it more than a 7/10. It's better than the last two, maybe, but it pales in comparison to their older stuff.
04:47 PM on 09/30/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
Actually, most places haven't given it more than a 7/10. It's better than the last two, maybe, but it pales in comparison to their older stuff.
7/10 is a great review.

every wilco album gets better with years, so you couldn't possibly say "it pales in comparison" yet.

i also don't buy that it's better than the last two either. to me, each of their releases stands completely on its own. everyone hates on sky blue sky and the album because there's no weird noises on them, big deal. the songs are still so well written it blows my mind.

to each his own, but I think in 20 years, everyone's going to have a much different opinion on where Jeff Tweedy stands as one of the all time great rock songwriters.
01:35 AM on 10/01/11
TheBodysnatcher
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This the greatest album ever made
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives