Password

Album Review

Lydia - Paint It Golden Album Cover

Lydia - Paint It Golden

Reviewed by
LydiaPaint It Golden
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 4, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s hard to believe it has been three years since we first experienced Illuminate. Carrying Lydia to even greater heights than This December; It’s One More and I’m Free, their sophomore record was – and still is – simply a masterpiece. The tender sincerity, dynamic layering, stunning vocal harmonies – the record speaks for itself and holds a monumental, immovable place in many of our hearts.

And then things changed. The beloved Mindy White decided to part ways with the band, and shortly after, Lydia announced their final tour, “The Lydia Finale: A Goodbye & Farewell Tour," and plans to release Assailants, their tragic farewell.

With Assailants, the fact that Lydia was no more really hit; it was painful, yet in a beautiful, bittersweet way. While it didn’t quite reach the elevation of Illuminate, Assailants was a fond farewell, at that. It was short and sweet, allowing fans to digest the seven songs on their own, making it painfully evident that the end of Lydia had officially arrived.

However, fast forward a year and the impossible happened: Leighton Antelman and Craig Taylor announced that they were going to rebuild and continue Lydia together. And so, Paint It Golden is the return of Lydia.

It’s special, yet familiar; delicate, yet concrete.

A somber piano opens “Hailey” as we return to the dying love of Illuminate: “I got what I wanted / They bled out my organs / They cut me wide open til I grinned / I guess it’s time / Doctors came right in / Said he most likely won’t live.” And just like that, we are back. Rather than being surrounded with the painful breakup and dying love as Illuminate and December were, Paint It Golden allows us to witness renewal, rebirth, even acceptance: “Hailey, if you’re out there, I hope you made it through December.”

As we continue to witness the new life of the dying man, hope seems to prevail this time as he is brought back to life. Soft piano play flurries throughout the glimmering harmonies on “Dragging Your Feet In The Mud” as we witness this new view first hand: “I guess I finally feel like I deserve it / You know I got to make a point though / I got to make it worth it / Cause if it happened, it happened…You got to let it go.” This painful acceptance accents the shining image of hope and a new beginning.

Sure, there are still times where anger surfaces, but hope always overcomes the pain throughout Paint It Golden. Paced with elegant piano play and soothing drumming, the bitter “Eat Your Heart Out” is riddled with emotion, as the failed past relationship still troubles the mind: “And I know it’s not worth it / When I see her alone / It makes my heart sick / Even though I know it’s pointless.” At times like this we can feel the still-aching heartbreak. On what may be the most chilling moment on the record, “Ghosts” presents us with the same conflict riddled throughout Illuminate: “Cause when I’m dead and I’m gone / Just burn me up to the sun / I got a couple more years here / I want nothing but you, dear.” This conflicted mindset and melancholy is gripping, stunning, and ultimately haunting.

The instrumental and dynamic layering throughout the record adds to this despairing hope, as noted throughout “Get It Right.” Atmospheric percussion and chilling piano inclusions send chills on “Skin+Bones,” following “Ghosts” with perhaps even more unnerving content than on the former: “Yeah I found out I’ve been out of my mind for some time / But come on, you knew that / You know where my head has been at.” These riveting proclamations pull us further into the mind of Antelman, as he still struggles with the past and finding his footing in the present.

The final image, nonetheless, is one of hope on “Birds.” Over calming piano touches and intricate vocal structure, hope floats through this new beginning, through this revival: “Now I’m a mess / I gotta change how I’m thinking / Change me around / I’m all yours / So come on, gimme all you got now, birds / So come on, you know I’ve seen your worst.” It’s references to past material – this reference to various points on Illuminate and the aforementioned reference to “December” on the opening “Hailey” – that really tie Paint It Golden into Lydia’s previous work, allowing fans to further feel connected.

And so it ends, as all things must. Whereas Illuminate was a cathartic, at times painfully emotional record, Paint It Golden is just what the title implies: a new beginning within a breath of fresh air. It is a record of optimistic, yes, but the scarring pain of the past still lingers throughout the experience, making it all the more emotional and personal. While no, this record may not be Illuminate Pt. 2, would we really want it to be? Rather, it’s a special reunion; it’s a golden welcome back.

9.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 104
08:54 PM on 10/02/11
terrorishfrank
User Info.
I am so excited to hear this.
09:06 PM on 10/02/11
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Great review, can't wait until Tuesday!
09:06 PM on 10/02/11
onautolux
CC
User Info.
Great review and record, it definitely gave me hints of Copeland and Days Away. The back to back of "Get It Right" and "Best Nights" is perfect.
09:09 PM on 10/02/11
syntax omitted
User Info.
I feel like this is a grower. I've only listened to the record three times so far and it hasn't hit me yet. I loved Illuminate and This December so much. Assailants was okay. But regardless, I don't know why. The lyrics don't even stick out to me. So many curses and "yeah's". I just really hope it grows on me.
09:10 PM on 10/02/11
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
Good album. Am I the only one who thought they heard a hint of dubstep in one of the songs?
09:11 PM on 10/02/11
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
Enjoyed this review, cannot wait to get my hands on this.
09:12 PM on 10/02/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Good album. Am I the only one who thought they heard a hint of dubstep in one of the songs?
"Get It Right" at the end.
09:14 PM on 10/02/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Illuminate is far and beyond my favorite record of all time. For me, Paint It Golden comes no where near topping that, but I wouldn't want it to. It's a different time and a different record.

I really do love this record and feel with more time, I'll continue to love it, though never as much as Illuminate. I'm totally fine with that though; this was every bit worth the wait.

Had a lot of fun with this review; wanted to do a more creative spin on it
09:15 PM on 10/02/11
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Illuminate is far and beyond my favorite record of all time. For me, Paint It Golden comes no where near topping that, but I wouldn't want it to. It's a different time and a different record.

I really do love this record and feel with more time, I'll continue to love it, though never as much as Illuminate. I'm totally fine with that though; this was every bit worth the wait.

Had a lot of fun with this review; wanted to do a more creative spin on it
Lydia posted about your review on their Facebook page.
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
this is going to be the soundtrack of my fall/winter, it's such an amazing album. I'll Bite You, Seasons, and Birds are definitely my early favorites.
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Lydia posted about your review on their Facebook page.
Woo!
09:17 PM on 10/02/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Man, Assailants is my favorite Lydia release. Weird to me that it's not everybody's for some reason.
That album kills me. One of my all time favorite releases

This is a great record though
09:18 PM on 10/02/11
ddjamoos
always counting down to a new start
User Info.
god damn, i've had 'get it right' on repeat for days now.

glad to see this album is getting the reviews it deserves.

so. good.
09:25 PM on 10/02/11
hydraulicheart
The world is yours, so take it.
User Info.
I could listen to "Hailey" for hours. So good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos