AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Junior Varsity, The - Cinematographic Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.63
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 9.08
Production 8.92
Creativity 9.67
Lasting Value 9.08
Reviewer Tilt 7.92
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Junior Varsity, The - Cinematographic

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (06/20/07)
The Junior VarsityCinematographic
Release Date: June 19, 2007
Record Label: Victory Records

The Junior Varsity faces one of the more daunting tasks in any bands career, which is the sophomore album. An album that can either make a band or break a band (Finch, I’m looking at you). For the Springfield, Illinois quintet only improve on what they started with 2005’s Wide Eyed. Combined with relentless touring and a dedicated fan base, Wide Eyed had some moderate success. Looking to make a bigger splash this time around with Cinematographic, their second album with Victory Records (Okay, okay, I know this is TJV's third album technically, but work with me here), the boys have added more of a guitar-driven sound to blend with the technical sound Wide Eyed possessed, thus making Cinematographic more well-rounded than its predecessor.

“I Went Blind” kicks off the album with a somber intro and first verse, only to break into a soaring chorus where vocalist Asa Dawson belts it out. “The SKY!” features twisting guitar riffs, which pace the song. Kenny Vasoli joins in vocally on “Wunderdrug,” a light, steady song that displays the fine drumming skills of Chris Birch as the band rocks out in the final minute. “St. Louis” is an upbeat pop ditty showing off the diversity in the band’s sound, while “The Greatest” is a faster, darker song that pummels down on the listener.

The band’s instrumentation is on full display with “The Importance Of Being Important” and “Memory Made Easy.” “Importance” is a sentimental song with fine lyrics as Nick Dodson’s work on the keys is superb. The band’s shining moment occurs on “Memory Made Easy,” which is one the better musical interludes I’ve heard this year. A gorgeous combination of the piano, cello, and guitar, the song’s beauty captures and captivates your ears.

The sharp sounding “Try To Define” follows with one of the catchiest chorus’ on the album. Each instrument is played on spot here, and during the bridge you’ll notice the melody of an old childhood rhyme. The title track is a waltzy jam, with Dodson highlighting the song with his use of the saxophone. “Lungs” is definitely the hardest hitting song on the album, and album closer “Under The Radar” concludes with a menacing undertone and guitars that drive throughout the track.

Before even popping Cinematographic into my CD player, I didn’t have high expectations. I did not enjoy Wide Eyed particularly, because while they did a few cool technical things, I found that album to be a complete drag, as the majority of songs bored me. With Cinematographic, The Junior Varsity have improved on almost all aspects of their sound. The guitars sound bigger, the vocals have improved, and the lyrics are more focused. And while the album is far from perfect (the second half drags a bit, the vocals are still nothing special, and lasting power is an issue), I am pretty impressed with what The Junior Varsity did on their second album. While fans of the first album may take a while to enjoy this effort (as well as hating me for disliking Wide Eyed), Cinematographic has the potential to draw in new fans that did not catch on with the last album. Sophomore slump be damned, The Junior Varsity are here to stay.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I Went Blind
2. The SKY!
3. Wunderdrug
4. St. Louis
5. The Greatest
6. The Importance Of Being Important
7. Memory Made Easy
8. Try To Define
9. Cinematographic
10. Lungs
11. Lifted
12. Under The Radar
Produced by Mike Watts

The Junior Varsity are:
Andy Wildrick – guitar
Asa Dawson – vocals/bass
Nick Dodson – synths/keys/saxophone
Sergio Coronado – guitar
Chris Birch - drums

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
07:10 PM on 06/20/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Nice review, but I love this album
08:19 PM on 06/20/07
rpk004
User Info.
isn't this their third album? they did put out The Great Compromise before Wide Eyed...
08:53 PM on 06/20/07
thebestkylever
girls like status.
User Info.
isn't this their third album? they did put out The Great Compromise before Wide Eyed...

nice review. i also love how every time i read a bio/review for this band, they're from a different town.
08:56 PM on 06/20/07
rpk004
User Info.
i also love how every time i read a bio/review for this band, they're from a different town.

hahah i've noticed that too.

this is a solid review though, forgot to mention that in my first post. nice work.
09:50 PM on 06/20/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i wish my fucking preorder would get here.
09:54 PM on 06/20/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
nice review. i also love how every time i read a bio/review for this band, they're from a different town.
hahahaahaha I've just always assumed they were from St. Louis. *fixed*
10:54 PM on 06/20/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
The Great Compromise considered an EP/Demo?
12:10 AM on 06/21/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I think it was the album they released prior to signing with Victory.
01:29 AM on 06/21/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Good review. It took a little bit to get into this album, but I think it's pretty good. I love the song "St. Louis."
06:25 AM on 06/21/07
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
I really liked The Great Compromise, but I thought Wide Eyed was weak. This new album is by far my favorite Junior Varsity album. Good Review!
07:13 AM on 06/21/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.

I want to find the old version, but I can't.
07:32 AM on 06/21/07
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
nice review
08:41 AM on 06/21/07
cahrishurr
thats like uh just your opinion man
User Info.
Wide Eyed is one of my favorite albums ever and this one is up to par with it but still has a ways to go before its as good as Wide Eyed. It has however cracked my top 10.
08:49 AM on 06/21/07
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
good album, although alot of it seems like a Say Anything rip-off
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives