AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Were Promised Jetpacks - In the Pit of the Stomach Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

We Were Promised Jetpacks - In the Pit of the Stomach

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (10/09/11)
We Were Promised JetpacksIn the Pit of the Stomach
Record Label: Fat Cat Records
Release Date: October 4, 2011

As far as We Were Promised Jetpacks are concerned, music isn’t just catharsis but medicine. It’s a dose of guitar swells and a cocktail of howling lyrics. And on In the Pit of the Stomach the treatment is the same if not amped to the maximum level, as if the listener is on their last leg and this is some sort of experimental therapy. It will either kill us or completely fix us. And maybe the best music is black and white like that – it can become a little tiring to discuss music as if everything is debatable. Sometimes it all just is how it is, and sometimes we should take it, leave it, or insist on creating a tumblr about it.

But yes, if you enjoyed tracks like “It’s Thunder and It’s Lightning” or “Quiet Little Voices,” this album will be something you can easily sink into. Although there are songs many shades darker than on These Four Walls, vocalist Adam Thomson has the same slightly-accented yelps and, in some cases, much improved lyricism. If this band’s ever been able to do one thing really well, it’s hide their cards until the last possible second. And for a rock band (who unabashedly loves Biffy Clyro) to have songs over six minutes, that hidden portion better be damn worth it. And for the most part, it is. Closer “Pear Tree” rocks us through and through when we least expect, and standout “Boy in the Backseat” is one of those moments where you can literally hear a band figure it out.

And apologies for going back to the terrible medicine metaphor, but In the Pit of the Stomach is truly a feel-better record - in whatever way that resonates with you. If you’re the type who likes to thrash around until mentally and physically exhausted, there’s stuff for you (“Circles and Squares”). But if you need a little moodiness to offset your own, there’s obviously plenty to dive into (“Hard to Remember” and “Act on Impulse”). As recognizable and precise as WWPJ’s sound is, this record finds it fairly easy to intrigue us throughout. But perhaps the most amazing thing it does, is not try to be anything other than natural.

As wonderful as it is to be exactly what you are, it is also difficult. And WWPJ are more than comfortable in their collective Scottish skins. This jangly rock music reliant on raucous build-ups is who they are and who they are going to be. Like I said (terribly) earlier, nobody cares if you don’t agree. It is rare in this life to have the seemingly simple freedom of being ourselves. And it is even more rare to broadcast that feeling to thousands of people. Most of us are forced to exist in a world where the only time our true self comes out is over way too many drinks or at the very last moment (when it’s too late anyway). So when Thomson sings, “I’ve torn through the pages / Of the years I have wasted” on “Medicine,” it’s more positive than it sounds. He’s clearly making a commitment to change - to make his time worth having. If all we can ever change is what we do and what we are, shouldn’t we take the time to try? Or shouldn’t we just be okay with how it is and how we are? Because once we nail that down, the rest will fall into place. It has to.

Recommended If You Like Biffy Clyro, Frightened Rabbit, The Twilight Sad

Let me downwww.wewerepromisedjetpacks.blogspot .com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22.
11:04 AM on 10/09/11
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Never actually listened to this band before but I probably will now with that RIYL
01:34 PM on 10/09/11
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really like this review
06:56 AM on 10/10/11
Someone'sCoat
Thank God you see me the way you do
User Info.
One of the best live bands out right now. So much emotion. Great CD
07:51 AM on 10/10/11
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Loved Four Walls, and everything else this band has releasd. Gotta check this out!
07:52 AM on 10/10/11
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
Really glad you got to review them again, Blake. Great review. I think a lot of fans will be happy with this record, has a huge sound that WWPJ just fit into so comfortably.
08:42 AM on 10/10/11
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Need to get. Seeing them for a second time this month.
09:07 AM on 10/10/11
pete_fernandez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Four Walls was one of my favorite albums of 2009. It's still in heavy rotation.
10:05 AM on 10/10/11
Alison1488
____
User Info.
"Most of us are forced to exist in a world where the only time our true self comes out is over way too many drinks or at the very last moment (when it’s too late anyway). So when Thomson sings, “I’ve torn through the pages / Of the years I have wasted” on “Medicine,” it’s more positive than it sounds. He’s clearly making a commitment to change - to make his time worth having. If all we can ever change is what we do and what we are, shouldn’t we take the time to try?"

This is an amazing few sentences. Fantastic write up! I'm very, very impressed, and I love this album. WWPJ' moodiness is perfect when you need it.
10:14 AM on 10/10/11
BetweenWaves
User Info.
Absolutely in love with this album. They took everything that was great about These Four Walls and multiplied it by 100 with this record. Can't wait to see them the 29th in Philly.
01:35 PM on 10/10/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
interesting review. gotta listen to this album
04:26 PM on 10/10/11
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
Incredible band and album. Top 5 easily, maybe even #1, it gets hard to say at that point. Surprised you didn't mention Human Error.
04:46 PM on 10/10/11
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
This was an amazing review, and I'm not usually one to comment on them. Great job, Blake.
04:56 PM on 10/10/11
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
That last paragraph is brilliant. I really enjoyed this review, almost as much as I enjoy this album.
07:34 PM on 10/10/11
j4callen
ummm
User Info.
They incorporate so many things I love about all the rock music sub-genres of the last 20 years.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests