Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
01:10 PM on 10/13/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
Really got into Daytrader recently, so I am stoked on this. It seems the solid Rise signings are becoming more frequent and the scenecore clone ones are becoming fewer and far between. Everything is looking up.
08:25 PM on 10/13/11
incognitojones
User Info.
Everyone keeps saying that Rise is finally turning around, but that's not right at all. Rise understands appealing to the audience. "Crabcore" became extremely popular and so they signed a shit ton of bands and capitalized on it. Now, pop-punk is surging, and so they are making the transition to what people are into. Rise literally rises with the music trends. Rise may be the smartest label out there.
Pop-punk isn't really surging, there are a few larger bands, but mostly its still smaller audiences. Very few pop-punk bands have blown up as quickly as the scenecore bands they usually sign, and none of the Rise pop-punk bands have seen a huge increase in fan bases. They're probably less ahead of the curve and more just signing bands they like and hoping to promote them well while they're a hot label. I don't expect Daytrader to be a huge break out band, or pop-punk to gain an enormous following next year, but they're going to release some quality music for sure.
01:53 PM on 10/14/11
incognitojones
User Info.
If your point is that Attack Attack was the band that launched a thousand ripoffs, then yes, I understand it entirely.

Rise, however, is a label that takes in a majority of its income from those ripoffs. People aren't "switching back to pop-punk," otherwise, the world would never have heard of That's Outrageous!, Abandon All Ships, or Woe, Is Me, all of which released debuts sometime within the last 18 months.

Now, look at the year in pop-punk. New Found Glory, blink-182, Mayday Parade, All Time Low, and multiple others I have neither the time nor the patience to list have all released albums, the majority of which (can't really call the ATL album great) have been successes. Rise isn't going back to its roots, it's stocking up.

It's a scene label. It always has been, it always will be. Whatever's popular, Rise will market it. It's why "crabcore" succeeded, and it's why they're going for all these pop-punk bands now.
Does Daytrader sound close to any of those bands? Rise hasn't been signing ripoff scenepop bands, none of their bands sound like any of the few bands who are selling tons of records in the genre. If they signed some All Time Low wanna-be or band trying to be old Blink 182 I could agree with you, but the style of their latest signees isn't something that is going to explode for scene kids anytime soon. None of the non-metalcore bands they've signed have been gimmicky trash that will be quickly successful. I don't know why people can't accept that Rise can support a great band without trying to make obscene piles of money. Or why ap.net people always think pop-punk is going to be huge again anytime soon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos