AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 89
03:02 PM on 10/13/11
harveyn590
User Info.
It's a smart move on their side because, they needed to diversify. The whole deathcore movement is on the way out, and they need a diverse roster. It's like investing, don't invest all of your money on one thing, or genre.
na makes sense, just larger than most other comparable labels
03:15 PM on 10/13/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
Not a bad business strategy.

1. Shine shitty bands that will become really popular
2. Make Money
3. Use money made to sign acts that are actually good.
4. ???
5. Profit.
03:22 PM on 10/13/11
Yogey
User Info.
Everyone keeps saying that Rise is finally turning around, but that's not right at all. Rise understands appealing to the audience. "Crabcore" became extremely popular and so they signed a shit ton of bands and capitalized on it. Now, pop-punk is surging, and so they are making the transition to what people are into. Rise literally rises with the music trends. Rise may be the smartest label out there.
Indeed
03:43 PM on 10/13/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Not a bad business strategy.

1. Shine shitty bands that will become really popular
2. Make Money
3. Use money made to sign acts that are actually good.
4. ???
5. Profit.
So say the underpants gnomes.
04:02 PM on 10/13/11
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
Everyone keeps saying that Rise is finally turning around, but that's not right at all. Rise understands appealing to the audience. "Crabcore" became extremely popular and so they signed a shit ton of bands and capitalized on it. Now, pop-punk is surging, and so they are making the transition to what people are into. Rise literally rises with the music trends. Rise may be the smartest label out there.
This. All they're doing is staying ahead of the curve on what's going to appeal to teenage bags of money in the next couple years. They picked up all the metalcore bands circa 2007 and onwards and overproduced the shit out of them with the same personnel until they all sounded identical and people got tired. As scene is phased out, "tr00 kids" will become what's cool and trending and all the same shit will probably happen. Hey at least the music's better for now until everyone starts bitching about these bands and the throwback hardcore/wave bands.
04:36 PM on 10/13/11
njsuccessstory
The '59 Sound
User Info.
I think people are overestimating how big pop-punk actually is. To me it's more of a cult genre these days anyways. For all the "big" pop-punk bands, they've had to change their sound to a more rock sound (A Day To Remember. Four Year Strong) to have a chance at making it with bigger audiences. I think pop-punk has been getting better in terms of quality, but I wouldn't say it's profitable. IMO it has a popularity ceiling (see: Set Your Goals).

If labels are really going with the trends, indie pop (ala Young The Giant and Foster The People) is where the money's at.

Disclaimer: This is not discrediting pop-punk. This just looking at the trends of popular music.

So if you're looking at this at a business perspective, IMO Rise is one step behind and is trying to sign all the bands that have good reputations with hopes of them selling a lot of units.
05:21 PM on 10/13/11
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
I feel like this is modern Drive-Thru era for Rise.
05:36 PM on 10/13/11
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
Rise is improving faster than I coulda imagined, good for them (and all of the bands that have signed there as of late)
07:25 PM on 10/13/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Pop-punk isn't really surging, there are a few larger bands, but mostly its still smaller audiences. Very few pop-punk bands have blown up as quickly as the scenecore bands they usually sign, and none of the Rise pop-punk bands have seen a huge increase in fan bases. They're probably less ahead of the curve and more just signing bands they like and hoping to promote them well while they're a hot label. I don't expect Daytrader to be a huge break out band, or pop-punk to gain an enormous following next year, but they're going to release some quality music for sure.
08:17 PM on 10/13/11
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.
I would agree with this is Rise didn't start out as a label that signed these kinds of bands.

This was one of the first Rise releases. I think its a combination of the point you made, and them wanting and having the ability to go back to their roots.
10:02 PM on 10/13/11
MALKiiN
User Info.
im in the minority..i freakin hate rise. i dont like em involved in any punk or pop punk. stay crab. RFC > Rise. did transit and man overboard even make the billboard? if not thats kinda funny since no sleep's band did
10:56 PM on 10/13/11
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.
im in the minority..i freakin hate rise. i dont like em involved in any punk or pop punk. stay crab. RFC > Rise. did transit and man overboard even make the billboard? if not thats kinda funny since no sleep's band did
11:39 PM on 10/13/11
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I wonder if they have any more signings up their sleeve
12:35 AM on 10/14/11
InstruMETAL
Be the change you wish to see
User Info.
12:41 AM on 10/14/11
InstruMETAL
Be the change you wish to see
User Info.
Band is awesome, the second song reminds me of old Silverstein!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos