AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Stephen Kellogg And The Sixers - Glassjaw Boxer Album Cover

Stephen Kellogg And The Sixers - Glassjaw Boxer

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Stephen Kellogg And The SixersGlassjaw Boxer
Record Label: Everfine Records
Release Date: July 10, 2007

And now I will begrudgingly expose just how much TV I have watched in my lifetime:

The year isn’t important, but I was not yet in high school when Pace Picante salsa began a strong ad campaign. The focal point was simply that Texas (or any southwestern state) was the only place good salsa could come from. Everything else was just a sad imitation. In one commercial, an old prospector was ridiculed in front of a campfire for trying to pass his salsa off as something local. He wasn’t fooling anyone. What does Pennsylvania know about Mexican food? More importantly (and Jesus, hopefully more relevant!) what does a young man from Massachusetts know about alt-country and lap steels and organs? In Stephen Kellogg And The Sixers’ case, they know just about everything.

Glassjaw Boxer is tradition with a twist. Tradition in the sense that these songs wouldn’t seem out of place back when cowboys were actually Cowboys, while the twist surfaces in the geographic location and pop undertones. This is barn-rock. The same former scenesters who clung to the bright stars of TBS and Saves The Day have moved on to Johnny Cash and Garth Brooks (heck yeah!). Am I the only one who saw this coming? Am I the only one lying about claiming to have seen this coming? I thought so.

All the necessities are here. “Hearts In Pain” is a landscape of despair and raw vocals. “Why Are You Talking To Me?” immediately changes the atmosphere from hopeless to untroubled with dainty organs and oh-so-many cymbal crashes. If you need one of those rainy day pity parties, Kellogg has you covered (“Sweetest Goodbye”). And after all, it is summer; enjoy it with the acoustic guitars and clever storytelling of “4th Of July.”

Never once did I feel that Stephen Kellogg And The Sixers were trying too hard. Dwelling on Kellogg’s birthplace is just something I must do for this review. While listening to Glassjaw Boxer, I was scarcely reminded of such a misleading fact. This guy is authentic and he proves it on closer, “Big Easy.” A mixture of all the different moods preceding it, the track is long and diverse. Starting out soft and slow, the chorus turns the song into a rousing singalong consisting of a “wall of sound.”

Glassjaw Boxer is a worthy addition to any library full of the classics, no matter what your interpretation of "classics" may be (Thrice? Django Walker? Jay-Z?). The world's a smaller place nowadays. The distance between Nashville and Northampton is laughably miniscule. So, it's not hard to believe that Kellogg can succeed so triumphantly. We'll get used to it. We always do.

Recommended If You Like: Ryan Adams, William Payne, teleportation, Alberta Cross, MTV's "Break The Addiction" commercials

What's wrong with this typewriter?www.myspace.com/sk6ers

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:58 AM on 06/26/07
iheartandrew
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i am soooooo excited for this record!
02:04 PM on 06/26/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
I want to hear this. He played at my school a couple years ago and was pretty good. He also shaved some dude's head onstage.
05:03 PM on 06/26/07
evan324
just put some vinegar on it dummy
User Info.
this band is amazing, i've been a fan of them for years, im glad they came out with a new cd, stephen kellogg is a great songwriter.
11:10 PM on 06/26/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Just finished listening to the CD for the first time -- loved it. Time to listen again.
09:51 AM on 06/27/07
pianomanfan021
born to run
User Info.
the song "father's day" us up for dl on itunes, it's really good

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT