AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Faber Drive - Seven Second Surgery Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 4.25
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 2.25
Final Verdict: 55%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Faber Drive - Seven Second Surgery

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (06/25/07)
Faber Drive - Seven Second Surgery
Record Label - Universal Records
Release Date - August 28, 2007

Faber Drive vocalist Dave Faber is a man seemingly blessed with incredible luck. Teaching guitar and drum lessons in Mission, British Columbia, Faber was able to recruit his student Ray “Red” Bull to play drums in the band that would go on to become Faber Drive. Around the same time that Faber found his current drummer, Hinder producer Brian Howes and Nickelback producer Joey Moi offered to work with the vocalist on his project after hearing some of the singer’s demos he had recorded over the years. Impressed by the acoustic songs, Howes stuck up a co-writing partnership with Faber while Joey Moi produced the new batch of demos, which helped the pair land Hinder manager “Chief” before they even had a full lineup. Guitarist David Hinsley and bassist Jeremy “Kricket” Liddle were later added to complete the Faber Drive line up. After that, the band went on to tour Canada with bands like MxPx, Hedley, and even (gasp!) Nickelback. Capping off a last of notable accomplishments is the fact that the band won Vancouver radio station 99.3 The Fox’s battle of the bands after getting their album in just before the deadline.

The result of these three years of achievements and song writing sessions that took place in the studio and the back of the tour bus is Seven Second Surgery, the bands debut album. The album does not shy away from its radio friendly roots as it starts with the upbeat “24 Story Love Affair”, a song that utilizes pretty much every standard listed in the unofficial pop-rock handbook. “Second Chance” is the band’s first single, which makes sense when you take into account the huge choruses and the lyrics centered on love gone awry (big surprise). The chorus is a repetitive and lyrically rehashes a very familiar theme with the lines: “Instead of holding you, I was holding out/I should have let you in, but I let you down.” “Sex and Love” is the song that allowed Faber Drive to win The Fox’s battle of the bands last year and actually shows hints of musical experimentation that are virtually non-existent in the opening tracks, making it a very welcome listen throughout the course of the album.

Not all of the songs are syrupy sweet pop-rock radio anthems, the band also slows things down a bit on the dramatic acoustic ballad “When I’m With You”, which is reminiscent of virtually every modern rock ballad currently being played hundreds of times on the radio and music video channels. The major difference is Faber Drive go for a thematic feel that many of their contemporaries do not, but the song still has that feeling of “heard that before, seen that before”. That is also the overall prevailing feeling I get when I listen to this record. The vocals are crisp and clean and the instruments never miss a beat and play infectiously catchy songs that are sure to appeal to the mass public once the songs get a radio push.

These things will hook the listener at first, but once they make it past the first few songs on the record, they will quickly get bored. This album offers little else than highly polished pop-rock tunes that execute every textbook maneuver that the many similar bands before them have already used, but if that’s what you are looking for, this band may be one of your new favorites. However, if you are yearning for something with a little more substance, there are plenty of bands out there that play catchy pop-rock much better than Faber Drive.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
09:46 AM on 06/26/07
ashleighjayne
Invisible
User Info.
Good review, thats exactly what i would have given it. Its a pretty boring CD overall with a few catchy hooks thrown in.
03:48 PM on 06/26/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Great review, buddy.
06:44 PM on 06/26/07
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
good review
07:16 AM on 07/24/07
punkrockalter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dont necisarily agree. Sure the album isnt BAM IN UR FACE but it isn't quite that bad. Faber drive are actually a wicked canadian band and theyre all pretty talented. Sometimes it takes time to get to the really good songs, so maybe the next album you'll like a little more. I just dont agree with how you butchered this album.
06:41 PM on 07/27/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I dont necisarily agree. Sure the album isnt BAM IN UR FACE but it isn't quite that bad. Faber drive are actually a wicked canadian band and theyre all pretty talented. Sometimes it takes time to get to the really good songs, so maybe the next album you'll like a little more. I just dont agree with how you butchered this album.

I disagree with the fact that you think I "butchered" this album. You and I just have different opinions on what constitutes good music, but to be fair I think it was a well written review and other people seem to agree
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests