AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

A Loss For Words - 10.16.11

Interviewed by
A Loss For Words - 10.16.11They've been called the hardest working band in the scene today by their peers. Always on tour, always releasing music, A Loss For Words is one of the most passionate group of guys I've ever met. When I first heard The Kids Can't Lose, I knew this band was destined for big things. With a new record coming out very soon and a full US tour with Dance Gavin Dance on the horizon, A Loss For Words is one of the hottest bands right now. I'm very proud to say that I got to talk with one of the most exuberant singers out there today, Matty Arsenault. His love for music is unparalleled and I hope you enjoy one of my favorite interviews to date.

1. Please introduce yourself and your role in the band.
My name is Matty Arsenault and I rock the mic in A Loss For Words.

2. 10 years in the making and the band is finally putting out a full-length on a notable label. How does it feel to accomplish this goal?
Honestly feels really good! We have worked our asses off for the last decade making honest music and doing things the way the bands we looked up to did it! We weren't going to go half ass, we had a lot to prove. Now with a great label on our side we have even more to prove to the industry that there is a place for bands like us! We are excited for this release on Velocity/Rise, we really believe in the people behind the names!

3. After receiving some lukewarm criticism towards The Kids Can't Lose what did you set out to do on No Sanctuary that you didn't do on your previous work?
This record is just a whole other level of A Loss For Words! We have grown so much as individuals as well as a band in the last 3 years since we did The Kids Can't Lose record. It will for sure show in the songs...we have rock songs, slow songs, then even songs that show our hardcore roots! There is something for everybody on this record and if you can go in with an open mind I think you will enjoy it! We put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in this one! A lot of diversity with in the record for sure! Psyched to see what everyone thinks.

4. Where do you see AL4W in the industry right now? You guys have toured with hardcore, metalcore, pop-punk, and everything in between.
That's a great question! I see a lot of people ask why did they do this tour and that tour. I completely understand why they have these questions and don't take it personal. We are a very diverse band and like to keep an open mind with music. It's not about looking cool or hanging with the coolest bands etc...It's about getting in the van and being with your best friends playing music that means something to you and putting it out on the line every night for people! We just want any kid to feel welcome at our shows: gay, straight, black, white, military, college, xxx, vegan, etc...Our band is for everyone! Hope that make sense!

5. Andrew Wade is a notoriously metalcore producer. Why did you guys choose to do the new record with him?
Actually our great friend Dave Shapiro from our label Velocity really recommended that we go to him so we checked his work out and were like damn....So we locked it in! We are so happy with the quality of the record and really had a good time in Ocala recording the record with him! Stoked to see what he does with the new Ghost Inside record!

6. You guys recently announced a split with Such Gold. How did it come about and were these songs that didn't make the cut for No Sanctuary?
We love the dudes in Such Gold! Some of our greatest friends! We actually shot around the idea on our tour about a year ago. They are completely different songs from the record, no b-sides by all means. We are stoked for this release and to team up with Chris from No Sleep as well as RJ and Buddy from MTS!

7. Matty, it's pretty well-known that you have a R&B/Motown singing background. How do you bring that to the table when writing music?
Got to love the heart and soul in your classic Motown and R & B! I grew up wanting to be the next Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, etc...I think it's a huge part of my sound for sure! Maybe eventually I will get to finish my R & B project called Class of 92' but for now I'm focused on my number 1 priority and that's the new releases with A Loss For Words!

8. What new bands have you been listening to?
I can't get enough of the new Transit record! So good! New Bayside and New Found Glory are also getting non stop play in the van! Balance and Composure blew me away with their new release! I Am the Avalanche are showing people what's up with the new record! That's the band that has more passion then anyone. Last but not least I'm really looking forward to the new Four Year Strong record!

9. Anything else to say?
Just to support honest music and really get behind the bands and buy their CDs, merch, get to the shows! We are nothing without you! I genuinely mean that! And can't stress how thankful I truly am! Much love!

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:44 AM on 10/17/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
Fuck yeah AL4W. Great band doing great things.
10:53 AM on 10/17/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I love how he ends 99% of sentences with an exclamation point!
10:58 AM on 10/17/11
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
Matty is awesome!
11:37 AM on 10/17/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I use a lot of exclamation points but damn hahaha He's always so happy and its funny because he talks with that much enthusiasm in person as well.

I'm really stoked for this album, I still need to preorder!
02:57 PM on 10/17/11
Sakarazu
Just a little nervous from the fall
User Info.
!!
04:00 PM on 10/17/11
hiya
User Info.
cool interview, I love how stoked he is on everything.
04:52 PM on 10/23/11
brandon_260
User Info.
Seems like an awesome dude. Hope I get to see them soon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos