AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Good Weather For Airstrikes - To Have Our Hearts... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 9.5
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.38
Musicianship 9.63
Lyrics 9.75
Production 7.88
Creativity 9.38
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.13
Average: 91%

Good Weather For Airstrikes - To Have Our Hearts...

Reviewed by: Sean Rizzo (10/17/11)
Good Weather For Airstrikes - To Have Our Hearts Emptied, To Be Left As We Came
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: October 11, 2011

What happens when a band’s lyricist puts their heart on their sleeve? Any well-seasoned music enthusiast could confirm that it varies from writer to writer. Depending on the lyricist’s vocabulary and the strength of their emotion, the listeners are more often than not boxed in by the polarization of base, stereotypical clichés (I’m looking at you, All Time Low) and stanzas so cryptic that they might as well be written in a foreign language, and are only fundamentally understood by the author (I’m looking at you, Circa Survive). This paradigm is seldom broken, but when it is, we as listeners embark on some of the most cutting musical experiences to be had. Two recent releases have already smashed it to pieces and made this October much more haunting than normal, but there is a yet to be known third which will reduce it to dust: Good Weather For Airstrikes’ To Have Our Hearts Emptied, To Be Left As We Came.

It starts off innocently enough, with a solid three minutes of particularly dark but otherwise typical post-rock. Then, without warning, we are confronted by a bitterly nostalgic opening verse, delivered with a voice as timid as it is tortured. This single moment captures the perfect picture of what the rest of the album will be like—gloomy, aural post-rock that enhances the energy behind the emotive vocals—as variance from the general heart-tugging despair is very limited. The few aberrations from the bleak aura Good Weather For Airstrikes have crafted come in the form of pop-rock tempos with the sort of riffs that one would expect from Mae, with a lightness to them that so contrasts the vocals it is as though the happy world around the narrator is mocking his suffering.

As a whole, however, the music remains filled with builds that gently reach higher, as if to represent the expansive and complex dreams once held so dearly beginning to fade away, and the vocals rotate between the softly spoken manifestation of emotional frailty, and painfully expressive Moving Mountains-esque yelling. Why all this emotion? A quick examination of the lyrics is all that’s necessary to determine the need for it. To Have Our Hearts Emptied, To Be Left As We Came deals with with an overall theme of regret for one’s circumstances, what one has become, the poor habits and decisions that people succumb to when they leave childhood, and how those poor habits and decisions affect interactions with others. The somewhat self-defeating one-liners that are taken from this song might seem vulnerable to the stereotypical cliché mentioned previously, but when examined in full context this notion is indisputably dashed away.

To Have Our Hearts Emptied, To Be Left As We Came represents the thoughts of millions during these hard economic times we are experiencing. People everywhere are abandoning virtue in favor of vices, only to find that their inner demons are continuing to feed on their souls while simultaneously preying upon the relationships which keep them whole and sane. For the listener who has not yet reached the depths of despair presented in To Have Our Hearts Emptied, To Be Left As We Came and may be on their way to doing so, I hope that it serves as a wake-up call to get their lives in order. I know it certainly did for me.

Recommended If You LikeBrand New; La Dispute; Pianos Become the Teeth; Moving Mountains; Envy; Overhead, The Albatross; Arrange; O'Brother

External LinksFacebook, get it for free on bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33.
05:42 PM on 10/17/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Originally Posted by Wake Up
You're in the RIYL!
06:37 PM on 10/17/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
I hate when you have to receive an email instead of direct download. Great band though, thanks for the review.
06:38 PM on 10/17/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
I hate when you have to receive an email instead of direct download. Great band though, thanks for the review.
Yeah it's pretty annoying, especially for me since I have to switch between emails to get the download while working on ap stuff.
06:44 PM on 10/17/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Yeah it's pretty annoying, especially for me since I have to switch between emails to get the download while working on ap stuff.
I guess it helps the band by being able to e-mail people when they're coming into town, etc. At least that's why I think they wanted my zipcode.
06:48 PM on 10/17/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
I guess it helps the band by being able to e-mail people when they're coming into town, etc. At least that's why I think they wanted my zipcode.
I'm not sure why they ask for that actually.
07:17 PM on 10/17/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Is this that band?
07:27 PM on 10/17/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
Ya bro. I need the email.
07:44 PM on 10/17/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
This review makes this sound great. Even better that it is free. I will check it tomorrow, for sure.
07:52 PM on 10/17/11
tstick18
thanks, arthur.
User Info.
Love this album. They absolutely rule live, as well.
08:23 PM on 10/17/11
connorfosho
@connorlarowe
User Info.
Sooo freaking good. This band should be bigger.
08:34 PM on 10/17/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
it's pretty good. not a huge fan of the vocals though
10:48 PM on 10/17/11
tigertiger
tigertiger.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Yay friends. :)
12:15 AM on 10/18/11
evoltsujseilon
eyes closed and far away
User Info.
I love your review, Sean. This album is really good.

I hope more people check this out.
11:04 AM on 10/18/11
tuuttuut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sees band name: ''Looks retarded =/''

Sees RIYL: Do want.

Edit: I just listend to the record a few times. They're incredible.

Edit: Also, maybe, add Deer Leap as a RIYL?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS