02:23 PM on 11/06/11 
User Info.
k1no
Melo Mood
New York
Male - 22 Years Old
agreed 100%

you are missing the point

you are all missing the point, the point is that the kid is not interacting with others. He is not going to make friends if he doesn't talk to people. Let him read all he wants, but during recess, he should play with the other kids. It's mind-boggling how you are all missing this.

Why SHOULD he play with other kids? I understand at that age, most kids would want to but that doesn't mean he necessarily should. He's eventually going to encounter social situations anyway. The rash decision to administer drugs is ridiculous. The parent should talk to the child first.
09:11 AM on 11/08/11 
User Info.
Passion Man
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Male - 23 Years Old
Why SHOULD he play with other kids? I understand at that age, most kids would want to but that doesn't mean he necessarily should. He's eventually going to encounter social situations anyway. The rash decision to administer drugs is ridiculous. The parent should talk to the child first.

It is a necessity. It is a biological need to feel accepted, or else it is very well likely to lead to feelings of inferiority and depression. Of course he's going to encounter social situations in the future, but if he keeps reading by himself, he's not going to all of a sudden want to interact with people. Habits are hard to change. I do think the kid should read books: the posters in this thread think that the parents are discouraged that he likes to read, but the parents are just noticing that it's too much of an extreme. He needs a balance of books and social interaction. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for replying.
12:00 PM on 11/08/11 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Seems like a lot of people here have never read much on child development, or know the full ramifications of Autsim....
12:05 PM on 11/08/11 
User Info.
k1no
Melo Mood
New York
Male - 22 Years Old
It is a necessity. It is a biological need to feel accepted, or else it is very well likely to lead to feelings of inferiority and depression. Of course he's going to encounter social situations in the future, but if he keeps reading by himself, he's not going to all of a sudden want to interact with people. Habits are hard to change. I do think the kid should read books: the posters in this thread think that the parents are discouraged that he likes to read, but the parents are just noticing that it's too much of an extreme. He needs a balance of books and social interaction. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for replying.

Ah I see what you mean now.
10:03 PM on 11/20/11 
User Info.
KellyGleason
Long Island
Female - 25 Years Old
I started reading chapter books just before elementary school. They had me reading by myself my first few years of school, and I used to think it was because I was dumb. Turned out I was really smart.

Oh, and I've had no social problems - actually a little bit too outgoing sometimes.
02:25 AM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
It isn't. Every one has different social habits. Some people love having loads of friends and others like having a one or two that are really close. Sometimes, people don't have many friends and sure it sucks but it's a part of your formation and can build your own character. Regardless, I don't understand how the only solution the parents can find to try and get their kid to socialize is prescribe him drugs when he's 5. Being prescribed at an early age whether it be anti-depressants or birth control, can alter their development dramatically. I don't think it's a decision you can take so lightly because you don't think your kid is "normal" enough, nevermind their concern that their kid has taken an early interest in books.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos