AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Go Big - 10.05.11

Interviewed by
Go Big - 10.05.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Go Big

http://www.facebook.com/gobigisonthebook

1. How did you get your band name?
I was hoping to come up with a name that would describe the band before you saw us. With 7 members, many of which play numerous instruments throughout a performance, the name seemed apropos.

2. How did this band get started?
I (Jason Rutcofsky) started learning how to play guitar after my former band, the High School Football Heroes, broke up. As soon as I started playing guitar I started writing songs. As soon as the songs started to sound good I enlisted the help of former High School Football Heroes members Joe Masterson and Travis Herdt to play drums and lead guitar respectively. My brother Michael was asked to join on bass and we had our back-line. Quickly it was decided we wanted to make our sound bigger so we added Jessica Coen (vocals, violin, percussion), Alex Didio (backing vocals, trumpet, trombone, guitar, piano) and Noreen LaNassa (mellophone, trumpet, backing vocals).

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Green Day, Sublime, Meatloaf

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I would have loved to tour with Springsteen prior to Clarence's death. To watch the Big Man play sax every night would have been incredible.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Being from NY we're pretty spoiled with great food, however Pat's in Philly is great for cheesesteaks. I love getting Mexican food and In and Out Burger every time I'm in California. If I ever find myself in Bree I make sure to stop at the Prancing Pony. In PA I always try to hit Sheetz gas stations cause they're great, and whenever I come across a Fuddruckers I'm getting a burger.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We're trying to do something different. After spending years in bands trying to sound exactly like the bands we loved I decided to take a new approach. We tried to utilize many classic Rock and Roll techniques and combine them with more current musical themes. We constantly try to test our musical limitations, I am always learning new instruments in an attempt to have our music grow and stand out.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Derek Jeter. Everything that can go right for Derek Jeter, goes right for Derek Jeter.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents, my girlfriend for allowing me to play instruments non-stop, my roommate (Vinny) and my dog (Willie).

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Pay for play would be gone. I'd like to see the practice of bands having to buy tickets to play come to an end. This encourages venues to put bands on shows that have lots of friends and aren't necessarily quality musicians.

10. Memorable tour experience?

While on the Warped Tour in 2006 I had the opportunity to play saxophone with Against Me! on the song Miami for the duration of the summer, including on a broadcast of the song on Fox television. Getting to play sax with, and getting to know a band I had long admired and looked up to was an experience I won't ever forget.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is and has always been a reliable source for all punk information. I have come here for news and reviews on punk bands for many years now and I plan to continue visiting the site for years to come.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

This is a hard question to answer as a musician who constantly tries to get better and write new music I strive to top myself with every song. Therefore I usually feel whatever song is newest is our best and my favorite. At the moment that song is called "You, Me and the Dog".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
San Diego is incredible every time I go. Great music, great people, great weather, great food, great times.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bruce Springsteen, Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX, Operation Ivy.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I'd like to be able to stop time. I always feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to get all I want accomplished. If I could stop time I feel like I would be able to sleep better at night.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I try not to eat too close to our set time. Playing a show is pretty similar to going in the ocean for me. I know when it ends I'm going to be soaking wet and tired but it'll be a good time.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm colorblind...now you know all my secrets.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I don't listen to all the much music radio as I don't like much of what I hear. When I turn on the radio it's usually talk radio or a sports broadcast. However, I like to think our music can appeal to anyone, so...sure our music could flourish there.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Play frisbee with my dog, watch baseball, learn instruments, sing songs with my girlfriend.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can juggle pretty well.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums