AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Face The King - 10.09.11

Interviewed by
Face The King - 10.09.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Face The King

http://www.facethekingband.com
http://www.facebook.com/facetheking
http://www.twitter.com/facetheking
http://www.youtube.com/facetheking
http://facetheking.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Eric: The original band name was Descender. Which, if you think about it, sounds like a cross between a metal band and a new SUV - the Descender by Jeep. The name Face The King was a song written by Eric for a previous band. Anthony liked the name so much we decided to call the band Face The King. The whole idea is that at the end of everything - before you face the king - you face yourself. Don't pretend like you are not impressed with how deep we are.

2. How did this band get started?
Eric: Joey and I played in the band SEER together. When that band broke up, Joey contacted Anthony, his former band mate from the Mercurial, and asked us all to jam. Needless to say the connection was instant. We bonded over music and offensive humor. We had a fourth member who helped round out the sound. However, it was not until we got Dan from STEREO SERENADE that the band really clicked. Now the musical connection is even stronger and the jokes are even more offensive.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Eric: We have a wide variety of influences. I wish I could sound more educated and say Bach and Mozart. We each listen to different styles. Everything from Radiohead, Kings Of Leon, and the Foo Fighters, to John Mayer, One Republic, Jeff Buckley, and Damien Rice. Whatever one band member is listening to at any given moment is having an effect on the band's sound.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Anthony:
Foo Fighters, and Led Zeppelin. Do I really have to explain why that would be awesome?

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Eric: I have to say Turkey Jerky. It already looks bad - so you don't have to worry about that. It lasts forever - and when I eat it - it makes me feel tough: like I should get into a bar fight. I am a buck fifty soaking wet and should probably never get into a bar fight. Nothing like dried and cured meat to really get a tour going on the right foot. However, it does make the long distances in the van rough. Many pit stops!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Dan:
Right now we live in a time of disposable music. What I mean is that a band is here one day and gone the next. I believe we are a career band: A band that will constantly evolve on record and on stage. We put a tremendous amount of effort into what we do, and we care about our fans. We are always the last to leave a show, because our fans are the reason why we love doing what we do. We also work hard to give our audience something that takes them to a place beyond just the music and the sound, and that is done by putting on an entertaining live show. We’re very much about the overall experience. People should listen to us because we listen to what they want to hear and try and give it to them in a way that they have never heard it before.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Anthony:
Michael Jordan. He was in Space Jam.
The rest of the band: And of course Happy Gilmore... he had a SUBWAY endorsement.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Eric: Family and friends of course. To be honest - each other. None if it would happen without the four members of this band. Please don't think that is an ego thing. I would love to thank the first fan who bought a shirt or CD. Or the first venue that really believed in us and kept booking us at the start when no one else would. Probably, the first fan who came to a show and could sing all the words to our songs. I would also thank my dad. Cliche - I know. My dad passed away when I was younger and I haven't been to the cemetery since the funeral. I promised myself I would only visit when I had a Grammy to leave for him or to show him his grandchild. No grandchild to show him yet - I think I am closer to the Grammy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Dan:
That people would actually buy records again. To me, the main reason why the industry is failing is because people just don’t buy albums anymore when they can just get music for free on the Internet.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Eric: The van once broke down on the way to SXSW. This was in a previous band. It was literally erupting with coolant. We got the van to a parking lot across the dealership and cleaned it up - let it cool down - and covered some things with electrical tape. I mean this van was horrible. We got it started enough to get it to the dealer across the street and we traded it in for $2500. If this story ever gets back to the dealer - I will deny the whole damn thing.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Dan:
To me, AP.net means a noble cause to help good local music get discovered again. There are too many talented bands that go undiscovered these days, and AP.net is yet another force that counteracts that.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Dan:
My favorite song to play live would have to be, “Colours.” Playing the ending finale of that song live actually weighed in on my decision to officially join the band. It literally made me feel empowered. When we play it live we invite the entire audience on stage to sing the end with us. It is moments like those that keep you wanting to step on stage or drive through the night to get to your show.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Dan:
Southern California, preferably Laguna Beach. I’ve always loved the weather in California because it’s perfect: usually never too hot or too cold. I hope to live there some day.

Eric: For me it is Bethel, NY - home of the original Woodstock. I lived there for awhile. Everyday felt like a vacation. Friends there are family and at the heart of it all is the musical history.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Anthony:
Michael Jackson. When I was a little kid I used to use tin foil to make Michael Jackson outfits and dance around.

Eric: This also explains a lot about Anthony.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Dan:
I wish I could intensely pleasure a woman just by playing a melodic guitar solo. Why?… um ‘cause that would be awesome. I might as well be god.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Eric: Before every show we all watch an episode of Dora the Explorer in Spanish on my iPad. Then Joey reenacts the entire episode through interpretive dance. That is not true - but I just might have to start that. At every show right before we play the first note - we all go over to the drums, pound our fists, and I say a few words. Not a prayer - typically it is some inside joke. It kind of centers us and reminds us to have fun - just like in the rehearsal space. This is much better than when we used to verbally assault Dan and cut his guitar strings. We quickly learned that was counter-productive.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Eric: Most fans don't know how much work goes into playing music. I think they think we hang around and drink, and then we get on stage and play. It takes an enormous amount of discipline to be a great band. Rehearsal, balancing a budget, networking, and writing. I think fans don't often realize what it takes to be in a real band. Also - Joey was a gorilla in his past life.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Dan:
Where we are from, new rock music on the radio is pretty much non-existent. Every single rock station that has ever existed in New York has been replaced with a top 40 Pop/Dance station, so it’s a little hard to find our niche here. However, going out of state is a different story. With the right backing, I feel a radio advertising campaign could help any artist/band flourish if the music is relevant enough to current times.

Eric: I think that some songs get shoved so far down your throat on the radio that you have no choice but to swallow. It is impossible to not sing a song when it spins all the time on every station. My favorite is when you talk to the DJ's and they tell you they don't like the song.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Eric: Here is the funny thing - we like to play music in our spare time. Of course, this is in between walking old ladies across the street and picking up trash at the beach.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Eric: Dan has the unique ability to imitate some celebrities perfectly (Robert Deniro, Bill Cosby, T-Pain, etc). It is pretty crazy. Anthony is one hell of a hockey player and would have gone pro if he was good enough. Joey can pinch harmonic any guitar and make it sound uber metal. I can talk to animals. Granted they don't talk back and we don't understand each other - but I still do it. In all seriousness - I went to school for fine arts. So if you need a portrait painted or nude drawing of someone - I am your guy.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests