AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Story Changes, The - 10.16.11

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (10/23/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Story Changes
(questions answered by Mark McMillon)

http://www.facebook.com/thestorychanges

1. How did you get your band name?
We pulled our name from a line in an early song of ours called "the War". Our good friend Kevin Knight suggested using the name, referencing the song. We had a list of about thirty other names that were probably at least eighty times worse. The Story Changes stuck with us.

2. How did this band get started?
The two of us in the band had been involved in some other projects beforehand in our hometown of Dayton, OH. We struck up a friendship early on and had a lot of respect for each other both musically, as well as how much work we put into our respective bands. Eventually, we ended up playing music together in this band and have been going fairly non-stop for a few years now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We both listen to a lot of different types of bands, from pop to metal. But I think collectively, and when making music, we tend to have a lot of love for music that came out of the late 90's punk and alternative scene. When I listen to music from that era, it sounds so much more pure and real to me than most anything coming out presently.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I have been rediscovering and listening to a lot of the Jealous Sound lately. I would love to tour with them. This mere fact would mean that they are touring again. That's a win win for everyone.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

We're both vegetarian and have various spots that we like to hit up when on tour. I love eating at Green in Tempe, AZ, and the Triple Rock in Minneapolis. Both are damn near perfect in their own ways.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

It's not rocket science and there is a million and one bands out there these days, but I think if you enjoy bands like the Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Saves the Day, and Alkaline Trio, you would probably like our music. We're a two piece band that takes a little different approach to our live show. It's fun; come see for yourself.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Oh man, I'm the worst when it comes to sports. Scrambling for an answer. I would say the one with the most money so I could afford to retire early and play music.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

My mother and father, family, bandmate, Craig Boliver, Mathew C. Jenkins, and all the great kids that have continued to support us and allowed me to be a big kid for a living.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wish the process of making a full length album wasn't a dying art. I would make it cool to buy entire albums again, appreciate the artwork, listen to the album from front to back in the tracklisting the band intended you to hear it for the first time, and read the liner notes. I hope the resurgence in buying vinyl helps makes all of this cool again.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I try to make every day count, as cheesy as that sounds, but some of my favorite memories on tour are some of the weirdest shows or oddball venues. Anything different from the normal day to day stands out to me. We once played in a jewelery store in central Texas after hours. I will never forget that show.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I have it bookmarked on my phone and think it's a great site. It covers a wide variety of music and is always up to date. To me, it's my means of keeping informed while on the road.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I've really enjoyed playing the song "Tidal Wave" live on the last couple of tours. It's a lot of fun.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

The last vacation I took was two years ago. I went to Charleston, South Carolina, and it was the dream. I love it down there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

I used to listen to Metallica while skateboarding growing up. To this day, if I hear something off of the Black album, it reminds me of trying to drop in on the vert ramp.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I wish I could teleport. With all the traveling involved in my life, I constantly find myself wishing I could be two places at once. Teleporting would be the next best thing.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Generally, we are usually around the merch table hanging out and seeing friends. I often pound a coffee or two before we play.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I can't stand Pink Floyd or the Spin Doctors. Completely random, but absolute honesty.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think it's sort of slowly dying. The average modern rock station only plays like eighteen different songs a day on average, just looped over and over. It's really sad. Internet radio is well on it's way to taking over. We've had a lot of luck with internet radio and I hope the support continues!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don't get a ton of time off these days, so I tend to just hang out at home and catch up with friends when I'm in town. I've been listening to so much new music lately on my downtime. Spotify has made my life so much easier to discover new artists and listen to old favorites

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I discovered last month on tour that I am a machine on the sand volleyball court. Never knew I had it in me!

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
01:21 PM on 10/24/11
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
Gotta love the Story Changes. Good dudes!
03:57 PM on 10/24/11
Roxy Riot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome band, great guys. I think they are the hardest working band in Dayton.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS