Username
Password
Four Year Strong News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Four Year Strong
Inside AP.net

Four Year Strong Discusses Early Fan Reaction

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (10/26/11)
In a new interview, Four Year Strong talks about early fan reaction to some of the music released from In Some Way, Shape Or Form. The record drops on November 8th.
From the InterviewDan: We knew that some kids would be bummed. Some of my favorite bands of all time all did this. They wrote two fucking awesome records and changed it up a little bit. New Found Glory put out Coming Home, and thatís my favorite New Found Glory record. Saves The Day put out Stay What You Are, and thatís my favorite of theirs. Brand New with Deja, thatís my favorite fucking record. At the end of the day, weíre in a band and we tour, but we love to write songs. We felt trapped about writing pop-punk in a certain way. We just wanted to write a record.
Joe: All this stuff still has heavy Four Year Strong elements. Itís aggressive and still has energy.
Dan: Weíd never written a mid-tempo song though, so we gave that a shot.
Has it been weird seeing the backlash?
Dan: Not really. Weíre definitely a guilt pleasure for a lot of kids. I donít know if they donít have to feel guilty anymore, but at some point you canít keep everybody happy. We knew that. A lot of kids donít like change. The band that they like isnít changing; weíre just putting out a different record. That doesnít mean that we donít play our old song and that our next record is going to sound like Hoobastank. Weíre the same band, we just wrote twelve different songs.
Joe: Another thing I will say about the backlash is that I think it partly had to do with the fact that we brought up beforehand that it was different. ďWasting TimeĒ on Enemy would have come nowhere close to fitting on Rise Or Die, but if we said that, people would have said it was fucking ridiculous. We should have let people make up their own minds.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 137.
01:32 PM on 10/26/11
steve187
nah
User Info.
nickelback

and seriously stay what you are? i thought he woulda said in reverie or something
01:35 PM on 10/26/11
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Coming Home is where it's at. I didn't get too much into Enemy, but I'm looking for to hearing this one.
01:41 PM on 10/26/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
he's totally right about wasting time being a big change. they've never put out the same record twice anyway.
01:42 PM on 10/26/11
[Fenix]
User Info.
I get that bands need to grow and develop but at the end of the day just looking at the songs as a whole and not the band, those new songs are just meh to me and sound like a foo fighters knock off. There was nothing in these new songs that made me think that there was something unique in the sound that was once there with their previous efforts.
01:43 PM on 10/26/11
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Less 4 year, more D4
01:44 PM on 10/26/11
kskillzz
User Info.
Quote:
Dan: We donít have any plans right now. Weíre trying to figure out something for the spring. We might have something lined up for the summer.

Definitly warped tour, who else books bands that far in advance?
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Coming Home probably has NFG's best written songs on it, love that thing. Can't wait for this thiing
lovemetal24
User Info.
just listened to clips of the album on Itunes....SO amazing!! I think it just shows how talented they are to write a completely different album......
01:45 PM on 10/26/11
lovemetal24
User Info.
Coming Home probably has NFG's best written songs on it, love that thing. Can't wait for this thiing
Coming home is the best NFG album!....sucks they don't play any of the songs live!
01:46 PM on 10/26/11
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
I understand their reasoning. Face to Face's Ignorance is Bliss is my favorite record by them, and it was by far the most reviled at first.
01:47 PM on 10/26/11
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
I think they're spot on, if they didn't point out that it was different, no one would have said shit.
01:47 PM on 10/26/11
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
And Coming Home is a fucking GREAT album.
01:48 PM on 10/26/11
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
Definitly warped tour, who else books bands that far in advance?
Blink 182's Europe Tour, Four Year Strong was originally suppose to support last year and they're trying to get back this time.
01:49 PM on 10/26/11
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Welp, the reasoning is right but he sort of proved everyone's point right there in his own words.

People are obviously open to change. Coming Home, Stay What You Are (even In Reverie), Deja Entendu...are all well respected albums. It's just a matter of whether or not you pull off the change successfully. Some bands do, some bands don't.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums