AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.56
Musicianship 7.77
Lyrics 6.98
Production 7.27
Creativity 7.77
Lasting Value 6.9
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/26/11)
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
Record Label: Parlophone
Release Date: Oct. 25, 2011

These days few people want to admit liking the band Coldplay. But the unalienable fact is this. In mid-October, the band released the video for second single "Paradise," a jocular affair with a man in an elephant costume patrolling the streets of London. By the end of the video, the entire band dons the costume and marches around on stage to a sold out audience. In just three days, the video received 2.7 million views.

2.7 million in three days. Obviously, somebody out there likes Coldplay.

Yet, an aura still exists that liking Coldplay is a bad thing. Moreover, it's almost as if Coldplay is the villain. But what exactly have they done wrong? They write layered, engaging rock songs; keep their personal lives private and for the most part keep their noses clean. Sure they got a bit political on the album A Rush of Blood to the Head, but since then they've been focused on first-rate stadium-ready rock music. And on their fifth full-length Mylo Xyloto, they certainly don't disappoint.

Divided into three segments, the disc opens with the celestial instrumental "Mylo Xyloto," before opening the flood gates on the ringing and shuffling "Hurts Like Heaven," which is arguably one of the greatest songs Coldplay has ever written. Wistful, breezy and undeniably kinetic, "Hurts Like Heaven," hurls like a cannonball and never lets up. Aforementioned second single "Paradise," features an orchestral beginning, Chris Martin's sonorous vocals and a whimsical strut that lifts upwards towards the heavens at the 2:30 mark. Buoyant, layered and richly textured, it's another titanic song from a band whose penchant for titanic songs knows no bounds.

The penultimate cut of the first section is "Charlie Brown," a driving and mellifluous paean to youth and innocence that is as engaging as anything Coldplay has ever done. Additionally, the song gives Mylo Xyloto three powerhouse anthems back to back to back. But alas, asking for a fourth is only wishful thinking. "Us Against the World," is a bare-bones acoustic ballad that serves as the album's first mistake. It's not that the song is a failure, it just feels too earnest, too cookie-cutter and too safe. Coincidentally, these are three arguments people usually have for bashing Coldplay, so take it as you will.

The second portion of the disc begins with the 49-second instrumental "M.M.I.X.," another foray into celestial noise that serves as segue for lead single "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," a synth-heavy splash of dizzying layered effects that is triumphant, powerful and winsome. Nowhere is this more evident than in the last minute of the song when Martin croons over bristling guitars and propulsive drums. Jangly acoustic guitars open "Major Minus," a somewhat disappointing piece of filler that does very little to bolster the album's mission statement. Unlike "Us Against the World," it is not too earnest, too cookie cutter or too safe. The only problem is the song goes absolutely nowhere and makes no grand artistic or sonic statements.

Another acoustic guitar marks the opening of "U.F.O," a stark and simple ballad that is everything "Us Against the World," could have been. Lilting, timeless and resonant, it is proof that when constructed properly, even filler can be gorgeous. The much-talked about "Princess of China," a duet with Barbadian superstar Rihanna follows and does very little to disappoint. Ostensibly an exercise in urban sounds, the song is sure to be a single and features the same soaring landscape as the album's opening three tracks. The second portion of Mylo Xyloto ends with "Up in Flames," a piano-driven ballad that will leave fans of "Fix You," and "The Scientist," drooling.

Thirty-second instrumental "A Hopeful Transmission," begins the final segment of the album, a one-two punch that rings out the disc in the finest of ways. Penultimate cut "Don't Let It Break Your Heart," bursts and oozes with the same wall of sound as the first two singles, while the plaintive ballad "Up With the Birds," serves as a flawless conclusion to a deeply engaging and undeniably impressive disc.

When all is said and done, Mylo Xyloto is a near grand-slam. Aside from "Us Against the World," and "Major Minus," there is not a single bad song. In an era when Billboard chart-toppers can only churn out one or two 99-cent singles, Mylo Xyloto is a true revelation. Though it is probably not Coldplay's best, it is indeed a memorable listen and another chapter for a band whose place in rock music is firmly cemented. Bash them all you want, but when the time does indeed come for Coldplay to hang it up, even if its 20 or 30 years from now, a gaping hole will indeed be left.

Mylo Xyloto is proof of that.

Recommended If You Like U2, synths aplenty, Brian Eno

Find Them Here http://www.coldplay.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 87.
03:34 PM on 10/26/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Fantastic review per usual, liked this album the one time I've heard it, have had so much new music shot at me that I haven't had the time to really dive into this
03:48 PM on 10/26/11
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Love this album on my first listens. Great review.
04:39 PM on 10/26/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Review is brilliantly written - excellent job, Greg.

Absolutely love this record.
05:11 PM on 10/26/11
justinwho
long live RepliesWithGifs
User Info.
great review! love this album. definitely one of my top five for AOTY
05:19 PM on 10/26/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
This album is growing on me a lot, and I'm not even really a Coldplay fan. Hurts Like Heaven is sooo good.
05:38 PM on 10/26/11
Jonathan Bautts
User Info.
Hmm, Us Against The World and Major Minus are two of the highlights for me.
05:38 PM on 10/26/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Hmm, Us Against The World and Major Minus are two of the highlights for me.
Different strokes for different folks.
08:27 PM on 10/26/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
This is an awesome record.
07:31 AM on 10/27/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
Never was a huge Coldplay fan, but this album is growing on me.
Great review.
07:57 AM on 10/27/11
Blakebear
User Info.
Yeah, I really like this.
08:07 AM on 10/27/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Definately enjoyed this more than Viva but not as much as the earlier stuff. It will still be a very enjoyable listen until radio ruins all the good songs on it. Charlie Brown is an easy fav for me tho!
08:43 AM on 10/27/11
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
looking forward to checking this album out. this review only helped that.
11:28 AM on 10/27/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Quickly becoming one of my favorite Coldplay albums. However, I disagree with your opinion of "Us Against the World". That's probably my favorite track on the record. Otherwise, spot-on review.
04:57 PM on 10/27/11
smowashere
User Info.
I completely agree with your last paragraph's last statement. For as much hate as Coldplay gets, they really are the best at what they do.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests