AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.67
Musicianship 7.67
Lyrics 7.15
Production 7.27
Creativity 6.54
Lasting Value 7.33
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes...

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (11/02/11)
Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes (Acoustic)
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Record Label: Hopeless Records

Yellowcard saw a triumphant return into the music industry earlier this year with its fifth studio record, When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes. The album blended characteristics of the group’s breakout Ocean Avenue and its more ambitious Paper Walls, all the while making the bold point that they weren’t just back, but back with a new focus and hunger.

As is becoming something of a trend for Hopeless Records’ roster, we now get the opportunity to hear the entirety of When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes in an acoustic form. However, as is fully apparent from opener “The Sound of You and Me,” much more effort and time was put into this project than one might originally expect from the idea. Ryan Key’s normally high-flying vocals are kept slightly in check to match the stripped down instrumentation, but he still remains the backbone of Yellowcard’s instantly identifiable sound.

As should be expected by those familiar with Yellowcard, the percussion on this acoustic record is nothing short of extraordinary. Longineu Parsons completely rips it, using a variety of instruments to inject a huge layer of depth into an unexpectedly well-produced record. When listeners hear the cascading layers of “Hang You Up,” the amount of care and effort put into this project becomes more apparent – and this is something that fans should be well appreciative of. An acoustic version of a record is an undertaking that many bands would approach lazily, but this one defies that standard.

The midsection of When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes, which I previously called its strongest sequence, holds up surprisingly well when stripped down. “Life of Leaving Home,” “Hide” and “Soundtrack” all build on each other in their original versions based on the energy present in each track. Thanks primarily to Sean Mackin’s delicate violin work and Ryan Mendez’s amazing job on the guitars (his contribution to the depth of these songs cannot be pointed out enough), this sequence still holds strong.

Most of the people that listen to the acoustic version of When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes will be the ones who are already familiar with this album. They will be the ones who already know the words and melodies by heart. While this is not the proper way to get introduced to a Yellowcard record by any means, it’s definitely a good way for the band to give back to its fans. Although it’s become repetitive by now, the effort and attention to detail put into the acoustic versions of these songs makes this a worthwhile and notable release – in fact, it makes The Dangerous Summer’s attempt at an acoustic version of Reach for the Sun look sloppy and careless. And while When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes might get overlooked in a year that has seemingly given us a never-ending supply of fantastic music, it’ll be hard to not notice Yellowcard as they continue their steady, swift climb back to prominence.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55.
02:02 AM on 11/02/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
This album just proves even further that they are the ultimate
04:07 AM on 11/02/11
tottivillarossi
rockfreaks.net
User Info.
warrior
04:11 AM on 11/02/11
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.

hahahahaha
04:51 AM on 11/02/11
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Very well-written. It was concise, to-the-point, and made a lot of sense. Great review.
04:58 AM on 11/02/11
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
"As is becoming something of a trend for Hopeless Records’ roster, we now get the opportunity to hear the entirety of When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes in an acoustic form."

Here's hoping for Suburbia then... haha

Nice review Thomas. It's a great album as too. Complements the full band version well.
05:41 AM on 11/02/11
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.

I don't think I've ever seen anything greater in the history of me visiting this site.

Agree with the review, this is a fantastic new interpretation of an already-brilliant record.
06:06 AM on 11/02/11
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I might be in the minority here but I think a lot of songs don't lend themselves well to acoustic versions, especially in the pop punk genre. Still WYTTSY was a solid album.
06:11 AM on 11/02/11
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
I guessed 8's across the board before I opened the review. Makes sense.
06:32 AM on 11/02/11
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
The original version was my AOTY for a few months back when it came out. It's fallen down a lot since then...I think I overplayed it a bit, but it's nice hearing these songs from another angle. I think bands could do some cooler things if they're going to do acoustic albums though, like do a piano version or two, or just completely reinvent the songs.
06:33 AM on 11/02/11
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
Need to find a physical copy of this that isn't overpriced.
07:37 AM on 11/02/11
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
I'm very excited to get my physical copy of this. Yellowcard is at an automatic advantage when it comes to acoustic songs because of Mackin. The renditions I've heard so far have been lovely.
07:57 AM on 11/02/11
justinwho
long live RepliesWithGifs
User Info.
great review thomas!
08:43 AM on 11/02/11
lftcoastenvy05
is a bulletproof tiger
User Info.
The original version was my AOTY for a few months back when it came out. It's fallen down a lot since then...I think I overplayed it a bit, but it's nice hearing these songs from another angle. I think bands could do some cooler things if they're going to do acoustic albums though, like do a piano version or two, or just completely reinvent the songs.
I agree, album was pretty much a straightforward acoustic version of the original. I would've liked to see them go more of the Damnesia route with this.
08:46 AM on 11/02/11
MSIndulgence
www.signaturemistakes.com
User Info.
Just curious why such a positive review and then you give it 8/10. I'm on mobile though so I can't see all the scoring.

Anyway the album is a perfect 10/10 for me. The way they recorded "the sound of you and me" gives me chills. So good. Solid review, Thomas.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests