AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Greater Heights, The - Streets of the Better Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Greater Heights, The - Streets of the Better Life

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (11/02/11)
Greater Heights, The – Streets of the Better Life
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 14th, 2011

The last few reviews I’ve done haven’t turned out favorable for the albums I was listening to. It was like when Andy Dufresne had to crawl through 300 yards of shit to get to the end of the tunnel. Actually, that’s probably a bit harsh towards the last few albums I reviewed, but you get my point. Months ago I went through the list of albums for review and immediately liked the sound of The Greater Heights. I put them on the top of my list, but it only just made its way to me. The other albums weren’t total letdowns, but here is my Shawshank Redemption, if you will.

When I first heard the EP Streets of the Better Life, it reminded me when I first heard Mayday Parade, Hit The Lights, All Time Low, and even a bit of Fall Out Boy in the instrumentals. It’s definitely west coast pop punk and that’s alright with me.

It starts out with “Kings of the Summer.” It’s a fusion of FOB and Mayday Parade. It takes me back to a trip to San Diego with my brother. The audio creates a visual photo album of that trip and how much fun we had. “Fall Isn’t As Colorful As You” showcases a nice range of vocals and I love the guitar rifts throughout. It also has a really catchy chorus. “Westcoast and Personal” has a definite FOB sound to it – maybe something off Take This To Your Grave. It has an anthem chorus and the catchiness of a Mayday track. Maybe because of the track name, but “This Stays In Vegas” reminds me of The Cab. It’s got some powerful drums and choruses that make the whole track catchy; I caught myself tapping my foot and nodding my head several times while sitting next to a 65 year old man in Starbucks. I’m not ashamed. The album ends with their slowest song, “Secrets.” It does a great job of showcasing the soft vocals accompanied with just an acoustic guitar. I like that the album concludes with this song.

Overall, I’m really happy that the album finally made its way to me. It really was worth the wait. I hope the full length follows in this vain. If you haven’t already, give this band and this EP a listen.

Recommended if You LikeMayday Parade, Fall Out Boy, The Cab, All Time Low, Hit The Lights, the left coast

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News