AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
The Winter Mission - Pretend It's Fiction EP Album Cover

The Winter Mission - Pretend It's Fiction EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Winter Mission Ė Pretend Itís Fiction EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Spring 2007

Itís natural for young bands to change members frequently. Bands are supposed to be like kin, but they are much more flexible. See, Iíve never been able to kick creepy Cousin Mark out of the family. Apparently heís less expendable than a drug-addicted bass player or a singer with a fetish for playground equipment. I canít help but wonder what former members of hugely successful bands are doing now (Will play power chord for girl jeans!). The Winter Mission has been through its fair share of personnel, but I would hate to be left in the dust when these guys take off.

Some dedicated members may remember a few threads taking polls on album covers from these boys. And while I usually donít focus on the cover art, I think The Winter Mission made a great choice. After all, you canít go wrong with robots.

Oh yeah, the music. Wes Bryon isnít the prettiest of singers. However, his throaty yelp easily succeeds in leading the vocal harmonies and dashing guitar riffs. Pretend Itís Fiction is not exactly D.I.Y., but itís close enough. Their post-hardcore influenced indie-rock actually sounds better with the grungy, sometimes muddled production.

ďEsperantoĒ is the greatest indication of The Winter Missionís bright future. A brooding riff blends into Bryon as he struggles with the upper register. An intelligent use of double bass and ethereal guitars ends in a semi-a cappella section of gang vocals. By the end of the song you will be compelled to shout, ďThis is just the tip of a big fucking Iceberg!Ē ďEsperantoĒ is catchy, heavy, and reeking of experience. Other young bands should take note.

As a music whore, the four songs on Pretend Itís Fiction only frustrate me. I want more! Still, I will wait patiently for more of these genre-defying goodies. Varied musical tastes will be satisfied with post-hardcore anthem ďDonít Yell Help, Yell Fire!Ē or the atmospheric and slightly subdued ďLone Wolf Syndrome.Ē

I think itís clear I must move to the East Coast. The music coming from North Carolina and its surrounding areas (Bmore!) is very exciting. Honestly, this is an iceberg I wouldnít mind crashing into. Is it too soon for Titanic jokes? Save it. I want to beat myself up, too.

Recommended If You Like: These Arms Are Snakes, Semiotics, coal drawings, Weatherbox, dining naked with the crew

I am a giverwww.myspace.com/thewintermission

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
01:51 AM on 07/06/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
a couple of notes:

1.) The entire EP is streaming at their myspace listed in the review.

2.) I am still working on getting an actual jpg of the album art. Keep cool, my babies.

ALBUM ART IS NOW CORRECT. ENJOY IT!
09:43 AM on 07/06/07
Chico
User Info.
I'll definitely check this out. On a different note, Blake you need to review the not so new anymore BEAT CRUSADERS cd.
12:00 PM on 07/06/07
callingallcars
remember us 4 all we pretend 2 be
User Info.
very good review. great band
12:13 PM on 07/06/07
capnshindig
Guten Taaaag!
User Info.
I like to believe that I am a very pretty singer.

J/K. Thanks for the review!!
12:18 PM on 07/06/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I like to believe that I am a very pretty singer.

J/K. Thanks for the review!!

Check your emails. Send me the album art!
02:12 PM on 07/06/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
Yes, move to the East Coast. We can be friends.

Also, nice review. Definitely gonna check 'em out.
09:39 PM on 07/06/07
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
very nice review.
04:16 PM on 07/08/07
lilrick69
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this just made me lose all respect that i ever had for ap.net

after listening to this joke i printed off this review and took a huge shit on it. and i'd rather sit here smelling my shit on top of this review than ever have to listen to this ep again.
04:42 PM on 07/08/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this just made me lose all respect that i ever had for ap.net

after listening to this joke i printed off this review and took a huge shit on it. and i'd rather sit here smelling my shit on top of this review than ever have to listen to this ep again.

05:56 PM on 07/08/07
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
The drumming is rather amazing and the rest is average but the guy's vocals just wreck it for me. Kind of reminds me of Name Taken but boring. It was a good review in it's own right but clearly there was a little bit of a tilt because I couldn't see someone not somewhat associated with the band giving this EP such high praise, I mean really, 7.25 for vocals? I'd lower that to a 4.5 myself. Don't get me wrong, they've certainly got quite a bit of potential but their vocalist will really have to step up his game if they want to go anywhere.
11:53 PM on 07/08/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
The drumming is rather amazing and the rest is average but the guy's vocals just wreck it for me. Kind of reminds me of Name Taken but boring. It was a good review in it's own right but clearly there was a little bit of a tilt because I couldn't see someone not somewhat associated with the band giving this EP such high praise, I mean really, 7.25 for vocals? I'd lower that to a 4.5 myself. Don't get me wrong, they've certainly got quite a bit of potential but their vocalist will really have to step up his game if they want to go anywhere.

Yeah, maybe vocals were a bit high. I address it in the review, but something in the 5s or 6s feels too low. Still, I think this band is going places. And while I know a couple of members, I wouldn't ever say I like something that I dont. These are good tunes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos