AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:15 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
Male - 25 Years Old
No. Disagree so much. The fact that he didn't contact the police or even follow up on the incident is disgusting. He didn't deserve the 'dignity' of retiring.
the person who witnessed it should have contacted the police. no one's publicly chastising him. you don't know that he didn't follow up on the incident, nor do i. paterno isn't even charged with any sort of crime, and he's the one who's taken the most backlash in the public. he didn't do anything, he see anything, he didn't fail to report what other people told him. doesn't deserve to lose his job because of other people's mistakes.
08:27 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Killadelphia
the person who witnessed it should have contacted the police. no one's publicly chastising him. you don't know that he didn't follow up on the incident, nor do i. paterno isn't even charged with any sort of crime, and he's the one who's taken the most backlash in the public. he didn't do anything, he see anything, he didn't fail to report what other people told him. doesn't deserve to lose his job because of other people's mistakes.

um what? the guy just got threats and he has been publicly chastized all over the place.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/11...ate-abuse-6-8/

and anyone supporting paterno, read that.

It is likely McQueary is safe (for now) under Penn State's whistle blower laws. And the difference between McQueary and Paterno is this. Paterno knew about the 1998 incident. Paterno knew all of this was coming because HE TESTIFIED BEFORE A GRAND JURY MONTHS AGO and he still allowed access to Sandusky in team facilities.
08:28 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Question 1: Why were no criminal charges charged in 1998? At all? With no law stipulations attached to it?
Question 2: If Second Mile was notified in 2002, why did Second Mile keep him on for 6 more years?

that is all for now.

They dropped it, saying there was insufficient evidence... Though they had a confession from Sandusky. Most likely, well, pretty much 100% it was a cover up. I don't think Second Mile was told.

But, from the rumors it looks like Second Mile was pimping out boys.
08:31 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Question 1: Why were no criminal charges charged in 1998? At all? With no law stipulations attached to it?
Question 2: If Second Mile was notified in 2002, why did Second Mile keep him on for 6 more years?

that is all for now.

1998: Victim 6 tells his mother that he was lathered and bear-hugged by Sandusky in the shower. His mother tells Penn State campus police.

May 13 and 19, 1998: Police eavesdrop on a phone conversation during which Victim 6’s mother confronts Sandusky and tries to make him promise never to shower with a boy again. Sandusky will not promise. She asks if Sandusky’s “private parts” touched Victim 6; Sandusky responds, “Maybe,” and tells her, “I wish I were dead.”

June 1, 1998: Sandusky is interviewed by investigator Lauro and campus detective Schreffler, and admits to hugging Victim 6 naked in the shower, saying that he knows it was wrong. He is told to stop showering with children.

Schreffler and Gricar, the district attorney, decide against criminal charges. A similar incident with a victim referred to as B.K. was also investigated. Schreffler testified that Harmon, then campus police director, told him to close the case.

May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky he will not be the next head coach of Penn State. Sandusky retires but negotiates emeritus status, giving him an office and access to facilities.
08:51 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
Male - 25 Years Old
um what? the guy just got threats and he has been publicly chastized all over the place.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/11...ate-abuse-6-8/

and anyone supporting paterno, read that.

It is likely McQueary is safe (for now) under Penn State's whistle blower laws. And the difference between McQueary and Paterno is this. Paterno knew about the 1998 incident. Paterno knew all of this was coming because HE TESTIFIED BEFORE A GRAND JURY MONTHS AGO and he still allowed access to Sandusky in team facilities.
you're kidding yourself if you think more of the attention has gone to sandusky than to paterno. also, where does it say he knew about the 1998 incident? i read elsewhere that he didn't. in addition, i also feel like the only one who doesn't see what's wrong with sandusky going to the gym while his trial is going on. i highly doubt he's going to do anything even close to what he's accused of with the media attention, and there's also the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that we have in this country that has been seemingly forgotten. even if he is proven guilty, let the court run its course and abide by its decision when it comes. if he was a member at any other gym and went to it, this issue wouldn't even be raised. also:

March 2, 2002: McQueary shows up at Paterno’s house and reports what he saw.

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Curley to his house to report that McQueary saw Sandusky doing something sexual in the locker room showers. Schultz testifies that he was then called to a meeting with Paterno and Curley, during which Paterno reported “disturbing” and “inappropriate” conduct in the shower by Sandusky.

Approx. March 13, 2002: McQueary is called to meet with Curley and Schultz, and reports what he saw. Curley and Schultz say they will look into it. Curley later testifies that McQueary only reported “inappropriate contact,” not anal sex. However, Schultz testifies that he had the impression that Sandusky grabbed the boy’s genitals.

paterno reports what mcqueary says he saw the day after finding out (paterno didn't actually see anything), and was told it would be looked into. there's a chain of command, and he followed it stemming from accusations, not any concrete evidence or real details. if he actually witnessed something, i'd agree with you, but the truth is that he didn't. if anyone should have gone to the police, it should have been the witness (who, again, no one else is focusing on).
09:09 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Killadelphia
If you think Paterno didn't know anything about the 1998 incident, you should probably check yourself out for being so delusional.

Paterno has to be deaf, dumb, and blind to not know what went on. You don't find it odd that Sandusky suddenly retired at a prime age for coaching, with numerous head coaching opportunities elsewhere, was never contacted to coach again? That doesn't make you think?

Give it up. Penn State might have a "chain of command" but Paterno is at fault enough for not advising McQueary to contact the authorities, instead of an old, "oh I'll handle it and pass it along to the next guy in line."

The entire "chain of command" except for McQueary has been fired, re-signed, out of their position whatever. Sure, a lot of people might be speculating, but the holes are almost too easy to fill.

Do we not forget how easily the 2007 football incident was magically squashed?

Penn State has a had a pretty shitty history since 2002 regarding criminal charges under Paterno's watch.

The Sandusky issue was just icing on the cake. And innocent until proven guilty? You're bashing the media for not focusing on McQueary, but then you say it is okay for Paterno to allow Sandusky on team facilities because he wasn't proven guilty? An eye witness told Paterno what happened NINE years ago. So, by your assumption, everyone involved in the chain of command should be okay because McQueary probably just made shit up? Or is the eye-witness account told directly to Paterno enough for Paterno to keep Sandusky away from football offices? That doesn't provide enough guilt for you, morally?

And in your first sentence, I'm pretty sure you mean McQueary. At least, I hope so because is Sandusky supposed to eye witness himself fucking a little boy and turn himself in?
10:20 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Chris M.
#WeTheNorth
Male - 22 Years Old
This isn't the military. There is no chain-of-command. If you see a young boy being sexually assaulted, you tell the police. Simple as that.
10:27 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Sic Transit Zeb
Chicago/Houston
Male - 27 Years Old
I read an article somewhere that had the word "boosters" in it when talkingbabout the pimping out of kids. I'm not saying it's true or anything...but if it is, could the NCAA get involved?

No. This isn't an NCAA issue in a sport sense, rather a law and Educational dept. issue.
10:37 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Sic Transit Zeb
Chicago/Houston
Male - 27 Years Old
you're kidding yourself if you think more of the attention has gone to sandusky than to paterno. also, where does it say he knew about the 1998 incident? i read elsewhere that he didn't. in addition, i also feel like the only one who doesn't see what's wrong with sandusky going to the gym while his trial is going on. i highly doubt he's going to do anything even close to what he's accused of with the media attention, and there's also the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that we have in this country that has been seemingly forgotten. even if he is proven guilty, let the court run its course and abide by its decision when it comes. if he was a member at any other gym and went to it, this issue wouldn't even be raised. also:

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Curley to his house to report that McQueary saw Sandusky doing something sexual in the locker room showers. Schultz testifies that he was then called to a meeting with Paterno and Curley, during which Paterno reported “disturbing” and “inappropriate” conduct in the shower by Sandusky.

Approx. March 13, 2002: McQueary is called to meet with Curley and Schultz, and reports what he saw. Curley and Schultz say they will look into it. Curley later testifies that McQueary only reported “inappropriate contact,” not anal sex. However, Schultz testifies that he had the impression that Sandusky grabbed the boy’s genitals.

paterno reports what mcqueary says he saw the day after finding out (paterno didn't actually see anything), and was told it would be looked into. there's a chain of command, and he followed it stemming from accusations, not any concrete evidence or real details. if he actually witnessed something, i'd agree with you, but the truth is that he didn't. if anyone should have gone to the police, it should have been the witness (who, again, no one else is focusing on).

Have you read the grand jury report?

Paterno, legally, was correct; however, with his statement, "I wish I had done a better job(I'm paraphrasing)" he set himself up for future civil cases. Paterno, morally, was incorrect. You cannot deny that.

McQueary, saw it and told his superiors. Curley and Schultz are being charged with perjury. McQueary said he told them exactly what he saw but was very ambiguous as to what he told Paterno. Obviously, if Paterno would of went to the police his comments would be deemed as hearsay; however, people are saying he should of went or called Child Services to speed up the investigation, or at least report it sooner. ALso, him and the others, should of never let Sandusky have a child AGAIN on campus but tthat was not followed.

Also, you must be kidding yourself if you think McQueary, who has been there for 15 or so years, has never discussed what he witnessed to Paterno or anyone else. They are freinds, family even and you know they talk.

It all sucks, it's all a mess, and those involved will get their due process. Innocent until proven guilty? That's in the eyes of the law, that does not pertain to speculation and comments on a message board.
10:50 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old

Yeah the person who witnessed it should have called the police and I think he is disgusting for not doing it. I'm assuming Paterno didn't follow it up because I'm sure he saw Sandusky still going on and off campus as he pleased and wasn't, I don't know, in jail? If the issue had been taken care of properly Sandusky would've been in a lot more trouble. Paterno, the moment he saw that nothing serious had been done, should have reported it to police or demanded something be done. I refuse to believe that Joe Paterno had such little power at that school that he couldn't have down anything more. Everyone involved in covering it up should be fired. They were only looking out for themselves and their reputations, not the children involved. I do think it's sad that people seem to be forgetting the victims and I've read articles greatly watering down what's in the grand jury report, but he's Joe Paterno so I'm not surprised he's getting a ton of focus.
10:57 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Vince Early
Size The Day
PA
Male
They dropped it, saying there was insufficient evidence... Though they had a confession from Sandusky. Most likely, well, pretty much 100% it was a cover up. I don't think Second Mile was told.

But, from the rumors it looks like Second Mile was pimping out boys.

Scott do you still go here?
10:58 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Have you read the grand jury report?

Paterno, legally, was correct; however, with his statement, "I wish I had done a better job(I'm paraphrasing)" he set himself up for future civil cases. Paterno, morally, was incorrect. You cannot deny that.

McQueary, saw it and told his superiors. Curley and Schultz are being charged with perjury. McQueary said he told them exactly what he saw but was very ambiguous as to what he told Paterno. Obviously, if Paterno would of went to the police his comments would be deemed as hearsay; however, people are saying he should of went or called Child Services to speed up the investigation, or at least report it sooner. ALso, him and the others, should of never let Sandusky have a child AGAIN on campus but tthat was not followed.

Also, you must be kidding yourself if you think McQueary, who has been there for 15 or so years, has never discussed what he witnessed to Paterno or anyone else. They are freinds, family even and you know they talk.

It all sucks, it's all a mess, and those involved will get their due process. Innocent until proven guilty? That's in the eyes of the law, that does not pertain to speculation and comments on a message board.

It's very possible (and more than likely) Paterno helped to cover everything up, as early as 1998. I don't call that innocent.
11:04 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Jerry Sandusky worked for Penn State for 32 years as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator. He is charged with sexually abusing eight boys, whom he recruited through his charity for troubled boys, The Second Mile, from 1994 to 2009.

15 ADULTS WHO KNEW ABOUT ALLEGATIONS OF SANDUSKY’S BEHAVIOR BEFORE THE ARREST:

Joe Paterno, the legendary Penn State University football coach who was in his 46th season, was fired by the school’s board of trustees Wednesday.

Graham B. Spanier, Penn State’s president since 1995, also was fired by the board of trustees Wednesday. He was told of the 2002 shower incident but did not report the matter to police.

Tim Curley, Penn State’s athletic director, is charged by the state attorney general with perjury and failing to report to authorities what he knew of the allegations.

Gary Schultz, Penn State’s senior vice president for finance and business, is charged by the attorney general with perjury and failing to report to authorities what he knew of the allegations.

Mike McQueary, Penn State assistant football coach, says he witnessed Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the shower in 2002 and reported the incident to his higher-ups.

Jim Calhoun, a janitor who saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy in 2000, suffers from dementia and is not competent to testify.

Ronald Petrosky, another janitor, was approached by a shaking and crying Calhoun in 2000. He testified that the janitors were afraid they’d lose their jobs if they told on Sandusky.

Jay Witherite, the janitors’ immediate supervisor, was told of the 2000 incident and left it up to Calhoun to report it.

Ray Gricar, formerly Centre County district attorney, investigated a 1998 claim about Sandusky acting inappropriately with a boy in the shower. He disappeared in 2005.

Ronald Schreffler, a campus detective, was told in 1998 to close the case on Sandusky.

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the state Department of Child Welfare, interviewed Sandusky on the 1998 incident.

Thomas Harmon was director of campus police in 1998, when Sandusky was investigated.

Ralph Ralston, another campus police officer, worked on the Sandusky case in 1998.

Dr. Jack Raykovitz, executive director of The Second Mile, allegedly was notified of the anal sex incident in 2002.

Wendell Courtney was university counsel during the 1998 investigation and remains counsel for The Second Mile.

TIMELINE OF EVENTS

1977: Sandusky starts The Second Mile, a group foster home for troubled young boys that grew into a statewide charity serving hundreds of young boys.

1998: Victim 6 tells his mother that he was lathered and bear-hugged by Sandusky in the shower. His mother tells Penn State campus police.

May 13 and 19, 1998: Police eavesdrop on a phone conversation during which Victim 6’s mother confronts Sandusky and tries to make him promise never to shower with a boy again. Sandusky will not promise. She asks if Sandusky’s “private parts” touched Victim 6; Sandusky responds, “Maybe,” and tells her, “I wish I were dead.”

June 1, 1998: Sandusky is interviewed by investigator Lauro and campus detective Schreffler, and admits to hugging Victim 6 naked in the shower, saying that he knows it was wrong. He is told to stop showering with children.

Schreffler and Gricar, the district attorney, decide against criminal charges. A similar incident with a victim referred to as B.K. was also investigated. Schreffler testified that Harmon, then campus police director, told him to close the case.

May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky he will not be the next head coach of Penn State. Sandusky retires but negotiates emeritus status, giving him an office and access to facilities.

Fall 2000: Calhoun, the janitor, observes Sandusky in the shower of the Lasch Building performing oral sex on a young boy pinned up against the wall, and tells other janitors and his supervisor. Fellow janitor Petrosky later testifies they were afraid they’d lose their jobs if they told anyone what they saw.

March 1, 2002: McQueary enters the locker room at Penn State’s football building at about 9:30 p.m. and hears the shower running and “rhythmic, slapping sounds.” He sees Sandusky having anal sex with Victim 2, who appears to be 10 years old. McQueary goes to his office and calls his father.

April 2002: McQueary hears from Curley, who says that Sandusky returned his keys to the locker room and was prohibited from bringing youths on campus, and that the incident was reported to The Second Mile executive director Raykovitz.

July 2009: Victim 1’s mother calls the high school to report inappropriate behavior. Sandusky is barred from the school and police are called.

September 2010: Sandusky retires from The Second Mile.

December 2010: McQueary testifies to the grand jury.

Nov. 5, 2011: Sandusky is arrested.

Nov. 9, 2011: Paterno and Spanier are fired.
11:07 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...erry_sand.html

thats a pretty good article going through everything step by step too
11:19 AM on 11/11/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Scott do you still go here?

I'm not a student, but I still live here!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos