AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Hotel Year - It Never Goes Out Album Cover

The Hotel Year - It Never Goes Out

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Hotel Year - It Never Goes Out
Record Label: Mightier Than Sword
Release Date: Oct. 11, 2011

Massachusetts, how I envy you. You are a hotbed for producing amazing bands, and it looks like I'm adding The Hotel Year onto the endless list of bands that come from the Bay State. It may be a stretch of the imagination, but The Hotel Year's newest LP, It Never Goes Out, eerily reminds me of a beloved Massachusetts band known as Piebald.

The four piece act of recent high school graduates delivers a nine track record inspired more by their musical upbringing rather than being a copycat of their best friends, and it's a refreshing thing to hear. While this year has been a whirlwind for the pop-punk scene and a lot of these bands get lumped together, this is not a pop-punk record. This is a breath of fresh air in the wake of an inundation of double time beats, hardcore stomps, stage dives, and posi-core shirts.

"Our Lives Would Make A Sad, Boring Movie" opens the record and shows the palette of what to expect through the entire album. Driving guitars, powerful vocals, and the band's ability to seamlessly transition between tempos are showcased. The crunchiness and thickness of the guitars emit a raw vibe that brings to mind Bob Nanna and Chris Broach of Braid.

"Vacancy" is a track that could easily be a fan favorite as the album makes its way into people's homes. Lead vocalist Christian Holden calls to mind the wail of Travis Shettel of the aforementioned Piebald. The power behind is voice is undeniable as he belts out "
You can't fix this because its burning down/You can't fix me because I'm so burnt out."

The Hotel Year slow it down and show their ability to write a deeply personal song that truly showcase the band's songwriting potential in "Weathered." Instead of taking the route of being explicitly straightforward, the band takes a beautifully poetic approach comparable to Matt Pryor of The Get Up Kids in the way they tell a story throughout the song. This barn-burner elicits one of my favorite lyrics ever in a song: "Because that's what I deal with/Every time I lift up the back of my shirt/And I'll show you what you drew that night/With a Swiss Army Knife/Saying it was only maps of constellations."

The Hotel Year have the makeup to be a band that ascend through the scene to reach the cult-like following of The Get Up Kids and Piebald. Only time will tell as these young guns mature and release more music.

8.5/10

More InformationChristian Holden: Bass/Vocals
Zack Shaw: Guitar/Vocals
Chris Hoffman: Guitar/Vocals
Sam Frederick: Drums

Facebook

RIYLPiebald, The Story So Far, The Get Up Kids

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:31 PM on 11/13/11
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Hey Christian thanks for reviewing this. I've been listening to this for the past 2 weeks and I've really fallen in love with it. Seriously, every time I play it I find something new to love. I never listened to Piebald all that much, but this CD really reminds me of late 90's emo.
12:32 PM on 11/14/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Christian thanks for reviewing this. I've been listening to this for the past 2 weeks and I've really fallen in love with it. Seriously, every time I play it I find something new to love. I never listened to Piebald all that much, but this CD really reminds me of late 90's emo.
Yea dude, the record is awesome. Piebald was a very influential late 90's emo/post-hardcore band.
01:53 PM on 11/14/11
Yogey
User Info.
Love this record. This is the first MTS band that I can dig since Such Gold.

Great review Christian.
03:58 PM on 11/14/11
carloknowsbest
User Info.
Best band ever.
05:37 PM on 11/14/11
uglystar03
User Info.
I love this album. An Ode to the Nite Ratz Club is one of the best songs I've heard this year. It definitely makes me miss childhood.
06:17 PM on 11/14/11
_veges_
User Info.
Still one of my favorite records of the year discovered it fairly early so I've had awhile to enjoy this. Our Lives Would Make a Sad Boring Movie is still my favorite song of the year, the lyrics are so powerful to me as a kid still in high school.
02:41 PM on 11/15/11
Surrounded
User Info.
nice dudes. nice review
01:38 AM on 11/20/11
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
Man overboard meets transit
09:32 PM on 03/26/12
ACA
Next Show: Run the Jewels NYC 11/29
User Info.
Man overboard meets transit
but without the suck of both of those bands
08:26 PM on 07/10/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Looks like your last sentence has come true, Christian.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos