Password

Album Review
The Circle Ends Here - Where Time Leaves the Rest Album Cover

The Circle Ends Here - Where Time Leaves the Rest

Reviewed by
The Circle Ends Here - Where Time Leaves the Rest
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: June 25, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Who?

The Circle Ends Here are a post-hardcore/post-rock/sludge metal quintet hailing from Udine-Gorizia-Pordenone, Italy. Forming in 2010, they quickly released their first EP, Where Time Leaves the Rest, during the following June.

How is it?

Not bad at all, at least in terms of songwriting. The Circle Ends Here have undoubtedly taken direct inspiration from Amia Venera Landscape, their ambient post-hardcore Italian cousins, while creating this EP, to the point where it comes off a little clone-like. This occurs several times on the EP, most notably in the intro of "Shapes To Black". Regardless of that, if this style starts to become a fad I don't think anyone would have a real reason to complain, as combining these two genres creates a level of raw power that arguably reigns above all others. While the songwriting isn't as technical as Amia's, that is mostly made up for by the sheer metal-crushing ferocity amidst a beautifully sharp textured soundscape. The vocals are solid even though they are quite stereotypical, resembling the recent American trend of scenecore, both in technique and execution. The biggest flaw in this EP is easily the production. The bass is mixed far too much in front of everything else. The overall negative effect is that the bass overpowers all the other instruments including the vocals for much of the time, and it's so loud in the mix that it creates an almost static-y effect. Unfortunately, this shatters the aura present in the rest of the songwriting, with only fragments of it remaining in certain gaps between the grating bass. Because of the ruined soundscape, the EP's entire enjoyability suffers considerably. If the band is considering writing a full length, I would suggest that they find a different producer.

Recommended If You LikeAmia Venera Landascape, Rinoa, *shels, Mahumodo, Devil Sold His Soul
External LinksFacebook, Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:00 PM on 11/17/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Not bad. Though, production, I feel should be a tad lower

I like the clean vocals, quite a bit.
08:13 PM on 11/17/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Not bad. Though, production, I feel should be a tad lower

I like the clean vocals, quite a bit.
If I was doing a varied score production would probably have gotten a 3.
12:35 AM on 11/18/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I get that the production's not great but for once it's nice to see the bass audible in a metal/post-hardcore record since it's usually basically ignored in the mix. Also, sounds like a cool record. Is this djent-y at all? Doesn't sound like it much from the review but I'm just curious if the influence is in there.
03:20 PM on 11/18/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I get that the production's not great but for once it's nice to see the bass audible in a metal/post-hardcore record since it's usually basically ignored in the mix. Also, sounds like a cool record. Is this djent-y at all? Doesn't sound like it much from the review but I'm just curious if the influence is in there.
Unfortunately not.
07:41 AM on 01/20/12
Albert Reave
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You almost led me to ignoring this band...thank god I didn't! I enjoyed this album a lot!
I found that the production sounds good...The bass doesn't bother me in the mix, I actually enjoy it; drums sound so real compared to most bands and guitars have a particular sound, different from the standards!...Vocals are solid like you said but standard, although I didn't hear any SCENECORE trend to them: I didn't hear any deep growls alternated with high pitched screams and I didn't hear any super high vocal lines... They certainly would be classified under the same genre of Amia Venera Landscape, but I can hear the differences a lot!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos