AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Make, The - This Box EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Make, The - This Box EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (11/20/11)
The Make - This Box EP
Record Label: Suspended Sunrise Records
Release Date: Aug. 10, 2011

There's nothing wrong with a little splash of California pop every now and then. And with the release of their debut EP, Chico, CA's The Make, looks to reinvigorate the Northern California pop landscape. Vocalist and principal songwriter Jeff Schneeweiss (ex-Number One Gun) infuses elements of soul and R&B on the trio's five-song debut EP This Box. The rest of The Make's lineup includes former NOG bandmate Trevor Sellers on bass and ex-See You Soon frontwoman Sarah Ann, on keys and guitars.

The EP opens up with the hip-shaking "Get It," a breezy, sun-drenched singalong that utilizes a playful opening guitar lick and a rousing chorus. The titular track employs a mellow acoustic guitar riff straight out of the Justin Nozuka playbook. Schneeweiss' can't-miss vocals unravel a yarn about friendship and fraternity that's warm, gooey and prime for terrestrial radio. Exquisitely produced, it is a harmless paean to late 90s radio and an amiable and inspiring listen.

"Color," a sensual and maudlin acoustic ballad is the EP's tearjerker and an homage to hindsight that throws out lines like "Do you remember my favorite color? And the name of my mother? Hold that feeling and just see." If anything, the song showcases Schneeweiss' brilliant falsetto and the trio's ability to think outside of the proverbial box.

The jangle and urgent "Spin City," succeeds "Color," and revisits the splashy, caffeinated buzz of "Get It." While it is slightly deeper and probes the depths of self-introspection, there is still a sense that The Make have yet to tap into their full potential. That question is answered though on the horn-drenched closer "Bad," a playful and plinky ode to finding clarity amid life's unexpected turns.

Presently, The Make are attracting hordes of new fans because the trio is signed to Suspended Sunrise Records, a label co-owned and co-founded by Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. And while the quarterback's celebrity status is a great marketing tool, one simple fact remains. The Make are richly talented and posses a polish and sheen that is hard to resist. Having just formed less than a year ago, there is more than enough reason to think that with enough time, the trio just might reinvent the NoCal-pop playbook.

Recommended If You Like Bad Rabbits, Brighter Shades, Justin Nozuka

Find Them Here http://www.themakemusic.com

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
08:05 AM on 11/21/11
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
I love this EP - cannot wait for a full record. He has always been one of my favorites in the genre. Are there plans to do another Number One Gun record as well, or was the last one his last?
03:22 PM on 11/21/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I definitely miss NOG, but this sounds good. I wonder if Rodgers "photo bombs" their press pictures, lol.
08:01 PM on 11/21/11
hahasnorlax
User Info.
I never heard anything about NOG officially being done, but they'll definitely be on the backburner for awhile while The Make is on the rise. Love this EP, and definitely looking forward to the full length.
01:16 AM on 12/16/11
mrpunker69
one Simpleton right here
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This EP is really good, anything Jeff Schneeweis does is amazing and this is nothing short! although I do wish Number One Gun would put forth a new record too. Keep pumping out the good shit.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests