Password

Album Review
The Rocket Summer - Do You Feel Album Cover

The Rocket Summer - Do You Feel

Reviewed by
The Rocket Summer - Do You Feel
Release Date: July 17, 2007
Record Label: Island Records

Do You Feel is the third full-length album from The Rocket Summer. Bryce Avary, for those living under a rock, is The Rocket Summer. The mad genius himself at the age of 23 is responsible for nearly all the notes played and sung on the album, except for the horn section in “So Much Love”. The album has 13 solid tracks, each of which shows Bryce’s development as an artist in the two years since Hello, Good Friend. It’s important to say right away that unlike his last record, Bryce has strayed away from the strained yelling that, to many fan's dismay, plagued the otherwise amazing songs. The Rocket Summer has grown in many ways with this album, including the maturity that is seen throughout the songs both vocally, instrumentally, and lyrically. This album definitely has a theme. The theme of invoking hope and love in others keeps the songs connected.

“Break It Out” is a powerfully addictive pop song. Odds are you won’t be able to listen to this just once. If you’ve had the opportunity to see The Rocket Summer live recently, you know that this song brings the crowd to life to say the least. “So Much Love” is the current single and has a maturity that up until this point, The Rocket Summer hasn’t necessarily had. The ending of this song is great, the horn section that’s been used by Stevie Wonder adds a timeless quality to an otherwise infectious pop sing-along. The title-track, “Do You Feel” is a song that isn’t necessarily filler, but definitely is one of my least favorites on the album. However, it does address the theme of the album directly. “Save” is arguably one of the most touching songs; it’s very personal and you can read Bryce’s emotion through his vocals.

“High Life Scenery” brings the return of some yelling back, but it’s much more controlled. Avary hits all the lows and highs this song calls for. The piano is inspiring; it makes you want to get up and dance. The lack of guitar for the majority of the song is a good thing. The Rocket Summer’s use of just drums and piano gives it that up-beat feel that they’re notorious for. “A Song Is Not A Business Plan” sees the return of the guitar. The spoken part is hard to decipher but notably ‘say what you mean’ is spoken on a song from Hello, Good Friend as well (a subtle throwback implying that he may have grown as an artist but certainly knows he’s far from changed). The song has a lot of history that Bryce has discussed in an interview. To put it nicely, this is his response to every band he’s seen make it even though their words are empty and that he could never go so far as empty words.

“Taken Aback”, like all the songs previously, is incredibly addicting. Honestly, you miss the depth in this song unless you really listen to the words. It’s definitely an assertion of Bryce’s independence to say the least. Musically there are plenty of runs (which are throughout the album as well). The attitude that comes off in this song is refreshing as well. “Colors” is my least favorite track on the album. I don’t like the overall sound of the song. It’s not bad, it just has a hint of country in the guitar, and the lower notes on the piano with that combine to make a song that doesn’t do much for me. The yelling comes back in this song as well, that and the beat are the best aspects to this tune.

“Run To You” has a Christian aspect to it. However, the beginning is reminiscent of “Never Knew” one of the most popular Rocket Summer songs. It’s a slower song; it’s stripped of all unnecessary instruments, just his voice and piano. It’s completely heartfelt and truly filled with emotion. His voice isn’t as confident and boisterous but rather raw and quiet. “Hold It Up” is a fun song, definitely not the best, but a fun one to dance too. Like many songs on this album it has a Christian aspect, which if you haven’t noticed is pretty much a given with Bryce’s work. “Waiting” like most of the songs, is solid, and a good listen. It isn’t one of the best tracks but its typical Rocket Summer and shows Bryce’s maturity in his songwriting.

The album ends with “So In This Hour…” a song that ends the CD on a good note. It's over six minutes in length, and rightly so. It shows maturity in a conversation that is about God. If you don’t see it that way, the words won’t make sense. Lyrically, they are the most honest and emotional of the album’s entirety. I would go so far as to say, that if anyone thought the album lacked anything, this song would change his or her mind. ‘So please take my life and use it. I’m ready’; these are the words that Bryce leaves us with this time around, but this is definitely not the last time we’ll hear from him yet.

Recommended if you like: Jack’s Mannequin, Relient K, or a catchy feel good pop song.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. Break It Out
02. So Much Love
03. Do You Feel
04. Save
05. All I Have
06. High Life Scenery
07. A Song Is Not A Business Plan
08. Taken Aback
09. Colors
10. Run To You
11. Hold It Up
12. Waiting
13. So In This Hour…
This review is a user submitted review from bethie. You can see all of bethie's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:45 AM on 08/03/07
Why Bother?
#SOSVenezuela
User Info.
I'll be buying this.
03:30 PM on 08/03/07
yoyoninjagirl
Nobody's Nothing
User Info.
nice review
09:51 PM on 08/03/07
DruC4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
granted i may be completely bias, seeing as though i have loved Bryce and his work since i first heard of him quite a few years ago (hearing "Calender Days" is what completely switched me over to this genre/style of music), but for any reading this, this cd is definitely better than this review may indicate.

there is so much passion in his music, and i think that truly comes with how well he works everything together. much unlike a standard band where you have to work with other people and collaborate as a team which generally works well, but sometimes not as well as a band may like, he deals very little with outside musicians, it's always been just him, with all main instruments, lyrics, vocals, and even production of the cd (although this record has a couple songs where there are other musicians: horn section).

i remember his "in studio" video he had on his website before the album came out, and in the interview he described his music for this album much like "soul".. kind of an old school genre, but that's exactly what it is. such passion, and he's really matured in everything he does, playing music, writing lyrics, and singing (which is a plus, cause that's generally the point which made most listeners run away from listening to the rest of his music).

as a whole, i don't feel this album has as many downsides as reviewed. obviously, yes, i am bias, i completely understand that. but i've been the person who has friends that don't necessarily listen to this genre of music, yet, i introduce bryce's musical prowess to them in form of a cd, and then TRS has more fans.

there's certainly NO denying Bryce Avary's musical talent and his straight up passion for what he does.

if you're already a fan, i find it hard to believe you WOULDN'T love this cd... if you've never heard of him, certainly check him out, this cd specifically.

i'm done with my rant now,. . go on with your day =]

P.S. if you LOVE his music, check out these other artists that also do it all (or close to it all) just by themselves: Goot, Gavin Mikhail, Dave Melillo, Too Sorry For Apologies, Adam Richman, Backseat Goodbye, Drake Bell.

what can i say? i just feel there's so much more passion and love for the music they are playing, when it's pretty close to JUST THEM making all the music.
11:40 AM on 08/09/07
A_Rolling_Stone
sleep well
User Info.
i can't say i even remotely approve of this review. while some of your statements are true...alll of the things that you don't apporve of are sheerly based off your own personal bias. the title track for this cd is incredible...to deny that it isn't one of the stronger tracks is sort of insulting. also colors is one of bryce's strongest songs on the new cd. to refute that sheerly because it sounds "kinda countryish" is kinda upset. thats just my opinion. i would like to see an AP staff review of this album myself
11:35 PM on 08/12/07
hellogoodfriend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
everybody!!
go to thissssssss website:
http://music.yahoo.com/promo-29644410

and vote for the rocket summer!
06:06 PM on 12/01/07
tait
@
User Info.
the reviewer tilt is 0.25?
03:06 PM on 12/21/07
will and life
User Info.
i was disappointed in this album. and for being such a talented drummer i was disappointed that he not only used as many machine gun drum fills as he did, but many were even integral parts of the song.

other then that, his songs lost something that his songs in hello good friend had. maybe it's because he wasn't afraid to yell in hello good friend, or because he used more synth effects in this one, but something was different. i think bryce could have gone somewhere so much better and unique then where he went with this album.

i'll always love the rocket summer, and this album was okay, but i'll be hoping for something much better the next time.
05:47 PM on 06/18/08
HolesInside
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
granted i may be completely bias, seeing as though i have loved Bryce and his work since i first heard of him quite a few years ago (hearing "Calender Days" is what completely switched me over to this genre/style of music), but for any reading this, this cd is definitely better than this review may indicate.

there is so much passion in his music, and i think that truly comes with how well he works everything together. much unlike a standard band where you have to work with other people and collaborate as a team which generally works well, but sometimes not as well as a band may like, he deals very little with outside musicians, it's always been just him, with all main instruments, lyrics, vocals, and even production of the cd (although this record has a couple songs where there are other musicians: horn section).

i remember his "in studio" video he had on his website before the album came out, and in the interview he described his music for this album much like "soul".. kind of an old school genre, but that's exactly what it is. such passion, and he's really matured in everything he does, playing music, writing lyrics, and singing (which is a plus, cause that's generally the point which made most listeners run away from listening to the rest of his music).

as a whole, i don't feel this album has as many downsides as reviewed. obviously, yes, i am bias, i completely understand that. but i've been the person who has friends that don't necessarily listen to this genre of music, yet, i introduce bryce's musical prowess to them in form of a cd, and then TRS has more fans.

there's certainly NO denying Bryce Avary's musical talent and his straight up passion for what he does.

if you're already a fan, i find it hard to believe you WOULDN'T love this cd... if you've never heard of him, certainly check him out, this cd specifically.

i'm done with my rant now,. . go on with your day =]

P.S. if you LOVE his music, check out these other artists that also do it all (or close to it all) just by themselves: Goot, Gavin Mikhail, Dave Melillo, Too Sorry For Apologies, Adam Richman, Backseat Goodbye, Drake Bell.

what can i say? i just feel there's so much more passion and love for the music they are playing, when it's pretty close to JUST THEM making all the music.

I completely agree with your post. And thank you for your artists suggestions. I already knew some of them but the others were complete surprise and I really loved them.

As for the CD "Do You Feel", I really love it, it's catchy as hell! Bryce is so talented and his music is full of passion, love, humility... He's a multi-talented musician and a great person. I talked to a lot of my friends about this band and pretty much everyone felt in love with him and his incredible yet so unique music.
High life Scenery, Break it Out and Do You fell are my favs on this CD.
11:09 PM on 01/13/09
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
you forgot to mention the best song on the cd, All I Have
09:50 PM on 06/12/12
Stereocascade
Don't Make A Wee Bit O' Sense
User Info.
This album is awesome, and even in the midst of his new release I still find time to listen to it. Not a bad song on the album! Though "Waiting" seems out of place... maybe it should've been placed earlier in the record?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos