Album Review

500 Miles to Memphis - Sunshine in a Shot Glass Album Cover

500 Miles to Memphis - Sunshine in a Shot Glass

Reviewed by
500 Miles to Memphis - Sunshine In a Shot Glass
Released June 5th, 2007
Deep Elm

Who?

Half country twang, half raucous punk -- wholly innovative. Having set up camp in Cincinnati, the band is technically less than 500 miles from Memphis, but who's counting when you have as good an album as this.

How Is It?

It'd be a stretch to imagine the general demographic 'round her' settling easily into Sunshine in a Shot Glass. However, a unique collection of songs await those who feel adventurous enough to step out of the ordinary and in to the sunset perfectly lit for old-timey roots and contemporary punk to shine together for once. Ryan Malott has the necessary farmer's tanned vocal composure to make it authentically Southern -- leaving the early Green Day influence to shine through at just the right time. Songs like "All My Friends Are Crazy" and "Keep It Together" show the concoction 500 Miles to Memphis have put together works towards the benefit of two genres naturally thought to be completely opposite in ideals.

For Fans Of...Lucero, Green Day, Drive By Truckers, The Clash, Old 97’s, Social Distortion
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:49 AM on 07/20/07
halifaxonfire
superrocketcar.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
i wasn't sure if i'd like the country/punk mixture at first, but i'm really glad i gave it a chance. after listening to their songs on myspace, i'm really digging it. i'll definitely pick up a copy of this. thanks for introducing me to these guys.
06:54 PM on 07/23/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Lucero is good enough to tell me to listen to them.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos