Password

Album Review
Rookie Of The Year - Along for the Ride EP Album Cover

Rookie Of The Year - Along for the Ride EP

Reviewed by
Rookie Of The YearAlong for the Ride EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 29, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Whereas Rookie Of The Year's last release, The Most Beautiful, was an ambient, piano-infused record true to its title, the follow-up, Along for the Ride, combines the sound of all of Rookie’s previous releases, mixing the raw feel of Sweet Attention with the intricate nature of The Most Beautiful and The Goodnight Moon. As a result, this EP proves to be the perfect combination of everything fans have loved about each of Dunson’s releases.

The opening “Chase” features the most grated vocal delivery of any Rookie track in recent memory, harkening the feel of Dunson’s older material. The atmosphere changes swiftly, however, as the soft “Dallas” is carried only by soft acoustic guitar plucks as Dunson delivers what may be his most intimate vocal performance on the EP. The intricate “Silent Words” provides a calming instrumental pathway into the absolutely chilling “Forever Yours,” as a unsettling piano dances with the haunting singing of “I’ll stay yours forever / Don’t you worry / Don’t be afraid.”

“Tonight” is classic Rookie – just an acoustic guitar and Dunson’s charming vocals – whereas the final “Diamond Lights” is everything you’d expect from a Rookie closer – a memorizing piano melody carried by Dunson’s hypnotic vocal performance. All in all, Along for the Ride contains every element we’ve seen thus far throughout Rookie of the Year’s journey, combining the best assets of each release into one stunning EP.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:33 PM on 11/29/11
Nardes
User Info.
Very excited for this release, just wish it'd show up on iTunes! But totally worth the wait since they added 3 extra songs!
11:06 PM on 11/29/11
de1337ed
I hope you made it through December
User Info.
way excited to get my hands on this
11:28 PM on 11/29/11
claw38
User Info.
Always love some new Rookie of the Year..I've been playing Wake Me Up since Thanksgiving to get ready for Christmas haha
12:26 AM on 11/30/11
poppunkdude90
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so good!! Tonight is easily the most passionate rookie song since the goodnight moon.
12:21 PM on 11/30/11
est patriots
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how come these records get a 7, when rhianna and katy perry are getting 8s and 9s?
12:34 PM on 11/30/11
cbronder1
Life Is Not A Waiting Room
User Info.
i'm loving this ep. very well done. can't wait to see rookie on saturday.
02:20 PM on 11/30/11
.Jamesus.
User Info.
Anyone else catch the "lost" clip on the accoustic version of runaway. Thought that was pretty sweet.
03:42 PM on 11/30/11
TheGoodnightMoon
cursed far more than I am praised
User Info.
Don't know if anyone else caught The Goodnight Moon lyric throwbacks in Diamond Lights, but I thought that was a very nice addition to the song.
04:54 PM on 11/30/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
mixed them up with story of the year and expected a very different review haha
10:56 PM on 02/09/12
kurtdaniel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love it!! So good to hear a new ROTY song like old times :) Hell yeah. Ive in fact enrolled in piano classes to study their songs..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos