AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
We Came As Romans - Understanding What We've... Album Cover

We Came As Romans - Understanding What We've...

Reviewed by
We Came As Romans - Understanding What We've Grown To Be
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: September 13, 2011

It's got to be difficult to be a band like We Came As Romans, being lumped in with the post-screamo whatever-core scene, because if they only accomplished one thing with their sophomore album, it's a definite sense that they are not like their contemporaries. Sure, they may play music that sounds similar, with a comparable level of flair and panache, but there is an underlying sense of optimism to these songs--and not just the pretty parts.

Dual vocals aren't even a gimmick anymore, and juxtaposing soaring melodies with gutteral screams hasn't been new in decades, but We Came As Romans has an excellent sense of how to best use each member to maximize the impact of the song. Furious drumming, tricky, technical guitar parts, synth pads and squawks, both vocalists handling their part admirably, all of it wrapped in a slick production job...and yet somehow it never sounds contrived. Somehow, under the veneer, beyond the grandiosity and predictability of formula, it's still possible to hear the six guys from Michigan playing their hearts out, with a sincerity that is endearing even when the music sometimes isn't.

The massive hooks on songs like "Everything As Planned" and "Cast The First Stone" are sure to appeal to fans of bands like A Day To Remember or Four Year Strong, but when these guys get heavy, they actually bear more resemblance to HORSE The Band, though nowhere near as hyperactive. The uplifting, atmospheric soundscapes call to mind Hopesfall, while the vocal interplay bears more than a little resemblance to Michigan-based labelmates Chiodos. Kyle Pavone has an uncommon voice, a crystal-clear tenor that seems otherworldly when placed in the middle of the maelstroms the band swirls around his melodies, while David Stephens' imposing roar provides contrast and offsets Pavone's natural pop sensibilities. Neither vocalist would serve a band particularly well on his own, but they play off each other seamlessly in a way that elevates both singers' performances to a surprising degree.

Unfortunately, WCAR does fall victim to the too-common metalcore foibles--without enough structural instrumental variation, the loud-soft-loud dynamic shifts all start to sound alike. Most if not all songs on the album sound great upon listening, but only a few stand out after the disc is back in its case on the shelf. They do their best, but they are still working within the confines of the genre they've chosen.

Ultimately, they aren't pioneers or geniuses or anything of the sort, but despite their shortcomings, they have indeed grown to be a force to be reckoned with, and have firmly secured their niche in the modern melodic hardcore scene.

Recommended If You LikeChiodos; The Devil Wears Prada; HORSE The Band; Hopesfall
This review is a user submitted review from FromHereOnEvan. You can see all of FromHereOnEvan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
01:49 PM on 12/05/11
ebushelm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
horse the band??? never listened to this band but doubtful
02:02 PM on 12/05/11
drummerAVA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm a big fan of WCAR, loved "To Plant a Seed" but I found this new album to be painfully average... Half of the songs were pretty good, a couple were really good, a few were alright, and there are a couple that I just can't listen to, hate to say... I skip them every time.
01:31 AM on 12/06/11
DampPants4
User Info.
Sorry to say this but they really need a new vocalist
08:08 AM on 12/06/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
Horse the Band? I don't know about that..
02:05 PM on 12/06/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Which vocalist?
05:59 PM on 12/06/11
DampPants4
User Info.
Clean vocalist.
07:06 PM on 12/06/11
justbradley
User Info.
The HORSE the Band comparison is just... No. HORSE the Band is way too different. These guys are just a typical metalcore band. Nothing special. HORSE the Band are simply awesome.
08:24 PM on 12/07/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Well then I agree, sir.
07:43 AM on 01/02/12
P_atdfreek34
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

just Kyle pavone cuz he sucks
07:46 AM on 01/02/12
P_atdfreek34
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

also they'd probably be better of just having David singing the cleans that or their drummer even though nobody has really heard him sing
06:11 PM on 01/03/12
Steve Dietrich
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with you on a lot of the criticism you gave this band and their unoriginality, but I'd say you gave them a bit much leeway. They sound like every other band this this god forsaken genre. The crappy autotuned vocals are the worst part. Please don't say the singer has an original voice in any way - he doesn't. This band blends in perfectly with the slew of other bands that sound EXACTLY the same...
10:36 AM on 08/28/12
ngochungtm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT