AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Malokai - 12.2.11

Malokai - 12.2.11

Interviewed by
Malokai - 12.2.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Malokai

http://www.facebook.com/RockwithMaLoKai

1. How did you get your band name?
It means "messenger" in Hebrew (weve altered the spelling slightly), and we believe we carry an important message - a message of love and of hope.

2. How did this band get started?
Alex, the frontman, had the vision since he was a kid. When he felt the time was right (September '07), he posted some ads online and people with the same heart and vision began responding. Weve been through a whole load of musicians since the beginning, but finally have a solid lineup and everyones on board.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Its a tough one as we all have different favourites. Most of us are into our hardcore and screamo (guys like Underaoth) but we play Pop-Punk, cuz it just seems to flow out of us! So its hard to say I guess.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Alex: Id like to tour with Thousand Foot Krutch. Simply cuz Ive loved them ever since I was kid!
Dave: Blink-182 have been my absolute heroes for years! Best pop-punk band ever in my opinion!
Andy: Dead by April. Why? Have you heard them?!?!
G:The Devil Wears Prada. Im a huge fan.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Were pretty sorted on tour as we tend to land a lot of host homes, which is the best - it means they cook us great food, so we can never complain. We do have a huge soft spot for Burger King though!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our music because we have a lot to say. Were not complaining about the world, or putting anyone down, we simply love people and want them to know how much theyre worth. It may sound a little cheesy, but its true. This is the stuff we write about. We want people to know they are loved. We live in a tough world, and there a many broken people out there. We just want to try our best to help, and music is the best way we know how to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Alex: I would have to go with the tortoise. You know the story of the tortoise and the rabbit? Slow and steady wins the race babay! Plus, Im way to unfit to be quick!
Andy: What about rally drivers? Are they athletes?
Dave: Id really love to be better at football, we play a lot with kids wherever we are on the road...Im fed up of getting beaten by like 12 year olds!
G: Footballer. Big Messi fan!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
God, our wives, our kids, our families and every other person whos ever taken the time to listen to us or support us in any way.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The "business." We covered and released "Jessie Js Price Tag" in April 2011 (which is also on our new record) and we did it because we believe in the message of it. It would be awesome to see everyone love the music for the music. Not just out there to make a quick buck!

10. Memorable tour experience?
Ha, we are creating new ones all the time. There are so many stories. One time G, the bassist, got out the van in the middle of Scotland,
in the middle of the night. We didnt realize and drove off without him. By the time we realized, a fair bit of time had passed. Took a while to find the poor boy. In his T-shirt, freezing cold, not the best English in the world as hes from Bolivia, so understanding any Scottish accent is unlikely. Fun times!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is sick! Its a great place to check out reviews and new releases.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably our "Price Tag" cover - because any show you pull it out, everyone is guaranteed to get involved. Rocker or not!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Alex: My studio, the mix room babay!
Dave: Tuscany, I have family there and the food is real good!
Andy: Italy, snowboarding!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Alex: Anything country. My ole man is a Country Gospel dude, so I grew up on the likes of Randy Travis etc.
Dave: My dad was into Mike Oldfield. I used to play the violin, so was exposed to a lot of classical.
Andy: Bewitched, nuff said!
G: Guardians, Petra, Puerto Seguro.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Alex: To fly. Just because it would be amazing. Touring would be bliss!
Dave: To read peoples minds...would be useful, although maybe I dont really want to know what people are thinking...meh Ill chance it.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Prayer. Were all Christians, and we pray before every show. Its not a weird thing where we get on our knees and put our hands together, its just talking to God.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Were pretty open about anything to be honest, so not a lot.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Well, radio here in the UK is a tough one. If youre not one of the biguns doing what everyone else is doing then its really difficult. Especially being alternative. Id like to think "Price Tag" would get played, but well see I guess!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
A few of us are married, so spending time with our families is always a place to start. After that - going to gigs, eating, just generally loving life!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Alex: Im a bit of a Jim Carey lookalike. People notice it a mile off!
Dave: Im a history nerd...bores the other guys.
Andy: Secretly 6ft 5...hides it well!
G can eat so much crap for a little man!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests