Username
Password

10:22 AM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
Just west of STL
Male - 25 Years Old
Feds Falsely Censor Popular Blog For Over A Year, Deny All Due Process, Hide All Details...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-details.shtml
The US government has effectively admitted that it totally screwed up and falsely seized & censored a non-infringing domain of a popular blog, having falsely claimed that it was taking part in criminal copyright infringement. Then, after trying to hide behind a totally secretive court process with absolutely no due process whatsoever (in fact, not even serving papers on the lawyer for the site or providing timely notifications -- or providing any documents at all), for over a year, the government has finally realized it couldn't hide any more and has given up, and returned the domain name to its original owner. If you ever wanted to understand why ICE's domain seizures violate the law -- and why SOPA and PROTECT IP are almost certainly unconstitutional -- look no further than what happened in this case.
Basically the Feds took over a domain that was supposedly engaging in illegal file sharing but actually wasn't, never pressed charges, and quietly gave the site back over a year later.
01:52 PM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
NJ / NYC
Male
It's like all the falsely imprisoned people at Gitmo, but not nearly as serious.
02:20 PM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
Staff Member
Not saying this isn't true, but it's hard to believe the sole story of an event without any sources.

If its true, dang that's a scary glimpse at what the other bills can do.
03:21 PM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
Just west of STL
Male - 25 Years Old
Not saying this isn't true, but it's hard to believe the sole story of an event without any sources.

If its true, dang that's a scary glimpse at what the other bills can do.

The article contains plenty of links, many of which simply point to other articles on the same site but eventually point to other news sources. Additionally you can visit the site itself which claims it was seized for a year with no charges - assuming it was truly a popular hip hop blog these sorts of claims should be easily verifiable. It is also well-known that ICE seized a bunch of domains last year (hard to post links from my phone but I read stuff on Mashable, etc). This story has a lot of comments and was also featured on Hacker News and I didn't see anyone claiming it was false, so I'm assuming it's legit unless I find evidence to the contrary.
03:54 PM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I wonder if they're spying on MO
04:13 PM on 12/09/11 
User Info.
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
Staff Member
The article contains plenty of links, many of which simply point to other articles on the same site but eventually point to other news sources. Additionally you can visit the site itself which claims it was seized for a year with no charges - assuming it was truly a popular hip hop blog these sorts of claims should be easily verifiable. It is also well-known that ICE seized a bunch of domains last year (hard to post links from my phone but I read stuff on Mashable, etc). This story has a lot of comments and was also featured on Hacker News and I didn't see anyone claiming it was false, so I'm assuming it's legit unless I find evidence to the contrary.

I just meant internally, like within the article itself. Wasn't dissing it or anything, it was extremely well written but embedded links would have been better. Thanks for the notice though
02:34 PM on 12/10/11 
User Info.
kidinthebushes
Downers Grove, IL
Male
You guys love feeling bad for urban people.
04:59 PM on 12/10/11 
User Info.
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
Staff Member
You guys love feeling bad for urban people.

lol
05:17 PM on 12/10/11 
User Info.
kidinthebushes
Downers Grove, IL
Male
If this was about a rock n rock blog run by white people, none of you would care. Shut up.
05:23 PM on 12/10/11 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
There was a fish in the percolator
Twin Peaks
Male
If this was about a rock n rock blog run by white people, none of you would care. Shut up.

I donít know why kidinthebushes goes out of his way to write shitty things but he does, because he doesnít have anything better to do. If it makes the rest of you feel any better, just know that kidinthebushes is an unhappy, miserable person because happy people donít go out of their way to write horrible things about innocuous things like music blogs.
05:31 PM on 12/10/11 
User Info.
paper halo
we're just a million little gods
Lincoln, UK
Male
I don’t know why kidinthebushes goes out of his way to write shitty things but he does, because he doesn’t have anything better to do. If it makes the rest of you feel any better, just know that kidinthebushes is an unhappy, miserable person because happy people don’t go out of their way to write horrible things about innocuous things like music blogs.

I wonder if that's why he hasn't been banned for being a racist toolshed. No one can bring themselves to do it.
08:20 PM on 02/14/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
There was a fish in the percolator
Twin Peaks
Male
DON'T CLICK THE LINK!

08:27 PM on 02/14/12 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
ACTA, probably scarier than Sopa and Pipa