AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Beyond Goodbye - 12.04.11

Beyond Goodbye - 12.04.11

Interviewed by
Beyond Goodbye  - 12.04.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Beyond Goodbye

www.facebook.com/beyondgoodbye
www.beyondgoodbye.tumblr.com
www.twitter.com/beyondgoodbye
http://www.last.fm/music/Beyond+Goodbye

1. How did you get your band name?

When we first started out as a band we were called Full Contact Checkers. As time went on we started taking things more seriously as a band and we needed a name that wasn’t a joke. Beyond Goodbye doesn’t have any cool reasoning behind it, sadly, but lately we’ve come to realize it has a lot to do with our band as we all went away to college and left our hometown.

2. How did this band get started?

Sam and I (Stephen) are actually the only original members of the band left. Our old bassist was the first to go and Dylan picked up the instrument and learned it just to help us out. Jenn was added while we still had another guitarist/singer, and when we parted ways with him, Chris, who I had played in other bands with before, was the obvious choice.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

When we started out as a band most of us were listening to pop punk bands in the vein of All Time Low, The Maine, and Sparks The Rescue. I would say that two out of the three songs on our first EP really reflect this. As we’ve grown, so have our influences. Our next release should be more based around bands like The Wonder Years, The Starting Line, Brand New, Major League, Fireworks, Man Overboard and others like that.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
It would probably be The Wonder Years and Brand New. We’re all huge fans of both bands, and our show that we had lined up with The Wonder Years last summer ended up falling through because of Warped. We would love to get to share the stage with them.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

We haven’t been able to make it out on tour yet, but when we play out of town we eat a lot of fast food, sadly. McDonalds before a show usually isn’t the best choice.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We’re different than a lot of other female fronted pop punk bands out there. Everyone always first thinks of Paramore and Hey Monday when they see a girl singing, but we’re trying to distance ourselves from that stereotype. We don’t want to be quite as poppy. We’ve been called The Starting Line with female vocals.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Tim Thomas, no doubt. That man has talent!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Our families first and foremost. That sounds cliche, but they’ve helped us out so much. They always put up with our craziness, and it was really cool of them to let us take off and travel hours to play shows and go to the studio while we were still in high school.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

More kids would be out at local shows. Half the time people have these great local bands all around them, but don’t know anything about the band because they only go to concerts when there is a big name playing.

10. Memorable tour experience?
No tour yet, sadly, but some of the funniest stuff gets said in the car on the way to shows and the studio. Chris usually ends up putting his foot in his mouth, or at the very least busting out a terrible freestyle rap.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is one of the best websites out there. I love finding out about tours coming up and this is often the first place I see them. The band drama threads get pretty excellent too.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

For originals our favorite to play is definitely "Number One". The song has a ton of energy live and a really fast tempo. For covers our favorite is either "The Best of Me" or "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don’t".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I couldn’t speak for the others, but my favorite place I’ve been on vacation was Greece.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Good Charlotte - The Young and The Hopeless, without a doubt. That thing was huge when we were all in like fifth grade. And then of course we all have the classic rock backgrounds from our parents.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I’d be able to teleport. Boston and Philadelphia get all the good shows, and it’s a long drive!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Nothing too crazy, but we enjoy some pre-show dubstep out in the car. That gets us pumped.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

All of us go to school in different states (and even countries). The only one of us that stayed in Maine was Chris, and Sam is all the way in Florida, where he goes to school year round. That’s why we’ve been so quiet recently, but we’re far from dead and will hopefully be releasing another EP in 2012.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Not a huge fan of current radio. Most of it is just top 40 garbage, but obviously there are a few exceptions. We have a local station here (www.whsn-fm.com) that plays awesome music. I remember the first day At The Bottom was aired this was the station that AP.net linked the article to. It just goes to show there are a couple jewels out there, and we’ve been fortunate enough to get some radio play on them.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Sam is pro at video games. Chris really likes hunting. Dylan and Jenn watch Marcel The Shell and cat videos on repeat. I go to a lot of shows and book tours for a couple bands.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Sam can beat-box. Other than that we’re not too exciting. I can put my foot behind my head?

We just want to add that you can download all of our music for free on our facebook and last.fm pages! Throw us a like on facebook and we’ll love you long time.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests