AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Artist Vs Poet - Naughty Or Nice EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 6
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.88
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5
Production 6.38
Creativity 4.88
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.88
Average: 58%
Inside AP.net

Artist Vs Poet - Naughty Or Nice EP

Reviewed by: Niko John (12/14/11)
Artist Vs Poet - Naughty Or Nice EP
Record Label: Self-Produced
Release Date: December 6, 2011

Who?

Artist Vs Poet is a pop-punk band who has been on a bit of rut since Tarcy Thomason and Joe Westbrook left the band. Having just been dropped from Fearless Records, the guys are in a "trying to go upstream without a paddle" situation. Releasing only two singles since their debut album Favorite Fix, back in March of 2010, the three remaining members decided to put together a free EP for the fans who have stuck with them. Naughty Or Nice is a six track EP dedicated to the winter holidays. The EP contains four covers of familiar Christmas songs, including two original songs. The EP is not exceptional music making, but it is a nice treat that will invoke the feelings of everything Christmas related.

How is it?

The most prominent aspect of the EP is Joe Kirklands vocals. His voice is a bit subdued for most of the E.P, only coming out in bursts that add personaility to the songs; Joe manages to add a bit of his own flavor into each track. The musicianship is fine with nothing being musical amadues, but it being acceptable for what Naughty or Nice is. The E.P also feels a bit jumbled emotionally wise with "Happy Holiday, You Bastard". Nothing is really wrong with the song in particular. Although with the sincerity of the previous two songs still hanging over you, it feels strange hearing the lyrics "Unless your dad will suck me off/ unless your mom will touch my cock/ejaculate into a sock". The song was most likely added to include a bit of humor to the E.P. While I'm sure people will find it amusing and although I did chuckle, I still couldn't shake the feeling that this song shouldn't have been included. Fortunately the piece is only a minute and a half long so it's not that bad.

Artist Vs Poet did a genuinely considerate thing for their fans and Christmas lovers everywhere. The E.P will not blow anyone away musically, nor will any of the covers become instant classics. Yet all I wanted was decent covers of classic Christmas songs and, for the most part, that's what I got. The vocals were great and a lot of Naughty Or Nice instills a feeling of happiness inside you. For me, Naughty Or Nice made me feel like a kid again waiting on Christmas Eve for Santa. Even if you don't think you will like this type of music, give it a try. Artist Vs Poet is letting you download the E.P for free so there is no reason not to. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!

6/10

Additional InformationFacebook
Twitter
Myspace
Download Link

Recommended If You Like:
Christmas, Happiness, decent covers

Track Listing:
1. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays (N'Sync) 4:30
2. Airplanes and Candy Canes 3:04
3. Happy Holidays, You Bastard (Blink-182) 1:40
4. Brick (Ben Folds Five) 4:18
5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland) 1:58
6. Never Enough (Bonus Track) 3:14

Members:
Joe Kirkland - vocals and guitar
Jason Dean - Bass guitar
Dylan Stevens - guitar and vocals

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
04:13 PM on 12/18/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
The bonus track is one of the worst songs I've heard this year. Such an unfortunate piece of crap. The only thing I really enjoy on this is the Blink cover.
05:34 PM on 12/18/11
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
The bonus track is one of the worst songs I've heard this year. Such an unfortunate piece of crap. The only thing I really enjoy on this is the Blink cover.
Eh I didn't think it was that bad. At least they are trying something new from their previous stuff.
05:36 PM on 12/18/11
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
Not sure why on this page it says the final score was 64%, but on the reviews page it says 52%. That's about the score I wanted to give it.
05:36 PM on 12/18/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Eh I didn't think it was that bad. At least they are trying something new from their previous stuff.
The pseudo-dubstep stuff they were doing on that track was awful. I hope that was just experimentation and not something they plan to continue on with. This is a band that I wouldn't mind if they didn't change it up. Their EP is an all time favorite and Favorite Fix was a top 10 album for me last year. I actually wrote a review for it on this site.
07:44 PM on 12/18/11
TZE
User Info.
gonna check this out.. liked some of their old stuff
12:23 AM on 12/19/11
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
I gotta respect the fact that these guys are still going after 3 of the 5 members left in the course of a year.
03:10 PM on 12/19/11
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
The pseudo-dubstep stuff they were doing on that track was awful. I hope that was just experimentation and not something they plan to continue on with. This is a band that I wouldn't mind if they didn't change it up. Their EP is an all time favorite and Favorite Fix was a top 10 album for me last year. I actually wrote a review for it on this site.
Favorite Fix definitely is a great album, their E.P also. Although I did like that little post-hardcore "SAAAYYYY!!!" Joe did in Never Enough :P. Also I think because they have been off the scene for so long they want to try something different musically to try and bring them back into it. They probably think that if they stick with their current type of music they aren't going to get anywhere.
02:03 AM on 12/20/11
____
Newcastle
User Info.
should these guys even be allowed to still be called Artist Vs. Poet? lol Craig and Tarcy are the original members and both have left.
08:23 AM on 12/25/11
Colino
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I enjoyed their old stuff a lot I don't know how to feel about the new song.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests