xent
this is what separates me from you!
User Info.
lol
12:32 AM on 12/15/11
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
So, is there going to be a retrial with a new jury or is this guy now completely free because someone unrelated to the actual crime tweeted?
Retrial. You don't get let off the hook just because a juror screwed up.

has anybody asked the question:

how was this tweet, tweeter, twit or twat traced back to this guy?

did he go to the judge and say "hey judge...i twatted this last night, check it out"

dummy
You'd be amazed at how much time goes into researching/tracking the jurors when you're a litigator. Ex: U.S. v. Forde, 2011 WL 63831 (4th Cir. Jan 10, 2011).

"In a post-trial motion, Forde informed the district court that while the trial was proceeding, a friend of the husband of the jury foreperson posted on Twitter an explanation of the difference between “assume” and “presume.” Ford contended that, since the posting occurred during trial, it was possible that the jury foreperson had talked to her husband about the case, her husband then talked to his friend about the case, the friend then posted the statement on Twitter, and the foreperson saw the Twitter posting. Forde thus requested that the district court hold a hearing to investigate the potential misconduct." (The request was denied, but it shows you how much effort goes into teasing out jury misconduct when your case has gone south.)

This isn't double jeopardy because the ruling didn't stand. The article was very poorly written and incorrectly titled, which leads to misinterpretation. It should've been titled "Judge calls a mistrial" rather than "a conviction overturned".

Either way, I stand by my former statement: Dumb.
Yeah, my first reaction to the story was shoddy reporting, Luddite court. Figured it was worth submitting for the UO bit, though. [Also, condolences/encouragement for a fellow law-person in finals mode!]
10:12 AM on 12/15/11
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
everyone is a machine.
We all work, eat, sleep, repeat.
01:32 PM on 12/15/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
He wasn't technically under oath when he said that, right?
waiting for this.
01:39 PM on 12/15/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
haha man this is pretty epic, I was just thinking about listening to this album again today. And I never knew the words "define the great line" were actually mentioned in the album, that line is really deep! i should read the lyrics sometime..
01:42 PM on 12/15/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
haha man this is pretty epic, I was just thinking about listening to this album again today. And I never knew the words "define the great line" were actually mentioned in the album, that line is really deep! i should read the lyrics sometime..
it's not really epic that some dumbass caused a mistrial just because he couldn't go without tweeting, and those aren't even underoath lyrics
02:07 PM on 12/15/11
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
We all work, eat, sleep, repeat.

That's what I'm talking about.
02:12 PM on 12/15/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
it's not really epic that some dumbass caused a mistrial just because he couldn't go without tweeting, and those aren't even underoath lyrics
then where is it from?
04:53 PM on 12/15/11
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
Holy lol.
06:20 PM on 12/15/11
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
no where, the guy just made it up and apparently everyone thinks it's a reference to Define The Great Line
06:24 PM on 12/15/11
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
He didn't make up anything, he said it was a reference to the album, not to some of the lyrics in said album.
12:31 AM on 12/16/11
MBIIdollaBill
User Info.
no where, the guy just made it up and apparently everyone thinks it's a reference to Define The Great Line
oh ok... nvm. well technically it is a reference, not a lyric
12:10 AM on 12/21/11
rikfrommf
User Info.
This isn't double jeopardy because the ruling didn't stand. The article was very poorly written and incorrectly titled, which leads to misinterpretation. It should've been titled "Judge calls a mistrial" rather than "a conviction overturned".

Either way, I stand by my former statement: Dumb.
Showing up WAY late to this party but:

1. ^she's correct. They declared it a mistrial. No double-jeopardy comes into play.
2. The Ak Supreme Court issued the mistrial. It COULD get escalated to the supreme court if they want to make it a first amendment issue.
3. In the US if you can convict someone with good evidence once, you can do it again. The issue will be finding a non-biased jury.
4. Don't use your cell phone when you are a juror. Trust me, your twitter account is not that cool, and shit like this happens when you forget that.
12:11 AM on 12/21/11
rikfrommf
User Info.
And in a perfect world, he'd plea for life without parole. He should KNOW he is going to be convicted and KNOW he will get the death penalty. It's more humane and a hell of a lot cheaper.
07:58 PM on 02/13/12
nasirg
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This kind of post is very rare.. its so hard to seek a post like this. very informative and the contents are very Obvious and Concise .I will look more of your post. Thank you for sharing.
bmw for sale

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version