AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Keeps - 12.12.11

Interviewed by: Jenny Tate (12/14/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Keeps (Questions answered by Josh Ramon)

http://www.musicforkeeps.com/
http://www.facebook.com/keepsband

1. How did you get your band name?
"Keeps" came from a tattoo idea a friend of mine had drawn when he was apprenticing. When I first saw it I intended it to be used for band art, but no one knows where that original piece is anymore. Too bad no one got the tattoo...

2. How did this band get started?
After nearly a decade of collaborations the timing was just right, and everything in our lives seemed to suggest this was about the only sensible thing we could do. Or you could say that last winter Eric and I needed something to do on the weekends. Next thing you know I was quitting my job to record vocals with Shiraz Dada of Maps & Atlases.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
There are definitely a wide range of personal influences in this band. For the set of songs from No Bridges I would say it was more influenced by the events in my life than any playlist of bands. Although, I hear elements of everything from Pink Floyd and Smashing Pumpkins to more modern bands like Maps & Atlases and The Felix Culpa. I'm more influenced by bands I've played with than bands I've heard on the radio. Whereas Eric listens to a lot of classic rock, and heavier modern bands like Opeth & Mastadon.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
The Beatles - because...why not? I would settle for less, but why if it's hypothetical?

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Free food is and always will be the best food to eat on tour. Otherwise, anything not fast-food is always welcome.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
If you have time to let yourself align with the mood and feeling of the music and the place the lyrics are coming from I think there is a certain amount of comfort one could find in all of this discomfort documented between the lines.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Michael Jordan circa 80's & early 90's.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Whoever helps us get to that point. I don't think we know that person, or those people, yet.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would think there being more than 3 or 4 "major labels" would be a good place to start. Compared to most other industries [the music industry] seems pretty young. Most of the changes happening now are probably for the better, once the whirlpool that came from the stir of changes settles I think the industry will figure itself out.

10. Memorable tour experience?
The three of us in a '94 jeep cherokee + all of our equipment for our first stint is pretty memorable. Especially because of the shaking that eventually caused the steering box to separate from the rest of the jeep - but that's a whole 'nother story.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means that there are sustainable communities of internet lovers freely participating in the discovery of new music, whether coming from familiar names and faces, or those to be discovered. There is something tangible on AP.net. It's an opportunity, not just for bands, but for fans/lovers of music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
During rehearsals I think we've all been getting into "It's Hard When It's So Easy" or "Arkansas Blackbird." They have solid rock beats as well as explore more ambient sounds & spaces. "It's Hard When It's So Easy" always gets me feeling a like I would dance, if only I knew what that meant.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The road - touring, playing for you and then sleeping on your floor.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Ace of Base. I saw a lot of signs, but none of them opened up my eyes..

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd pretty much just want to be Alex Mac. She had it all.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Maybe a beer or two. Mostly avoid thinking about what we're about to do. That seems to work best. Just let it happen. Also, looking for Marc. You always have to find Marc.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Where we work and live...but if you get out the "Map to the Stars" of Bloomington, IN we're not far from John Melloncamp's place. That's all I'm saying.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
If they would stop playing songs to their death maybe. Although, at this point I'm not sure I would want our music to flourish on radio if only to be hated from overplay by the time it's taken from their playlists.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Eric reads, Marc sleeps, and I pace around a lot.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Eric paints. Marc sleeps. I write.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT