AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

A Day To Remember News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

A Day To Remember Suing Victory Records

Posted by - 07:17 PM on 12/14/11
A Day To Remember are suing Victory Records. Originally reported on The Gunz Show, the court documents surrounding the suit can be viewed here.

Update 2:
A Day to Remember responds.
Statement from the BandA Day To Remember would like to make it clear that they did not announce nor seek any attention regarding their ongoing suit with Victory Records. This information has been public record since May of 2011 and they have no intention of speaking publicly or disparagingly regarding their disagreement with Victory. A Day To Remember will continue to release music for their fans and are looking forward to touring in 2012.

Update: Victory Records has released a statement.
Statement from VictoryRecent reports of claims filed by the Victory artist A Day to Remember (ADTR) in litigation presently pending in US District Court in the Northern District of Illinois (a case that was just transferred from Nashville upon Victoryís successful motion based upon improper venue) have misleadingly stated that the principal issue in the case concerns the payment of royalties. The lawsuit, filed shortly after the band hired new management, is really about the bandís refusal to fulfill their 5-album contractual commitment to Victory and their newfound desire to move to a major label. Recycled and often apocryphal stories of misguided and unsuccessful attempts by a few Victory bands to jump ship from the label that put them on the map have one common truthful thread; they always end badly for the band. In those cases, the bands eventually seek reconciliation and often ask to return to the Victory fold after having been disappointed by their post-Victory experiences. Victory is confident that this dispute will be resolved to the satisfaction of both the band and Victory, and that ADTR will continue to deliver great music to Victory in the coming years. Victory continues to honor its commitment to ADTR by placing its significant resources behind the bandís current album, What Separates Me From You, which continues to climb the charts and meet or exceed Victoryís expectations. The band, in the meantime, has enjoyed the benefits of the hundreds of thousands of dollars in record royalties generated from their album sales, which Victory accounts for in full compliance with its contract. Victoryís job remains the same- work hard, sell records and abide by our agreements.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 346
07:18 PM on 12/14/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
lol
07:18 PM on 12/14/11
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
For what exactly? I don't keep up with Victory drama these days.
07:20 PM on 12/14/11
Say Hello 87
User Info.
this is so 2004
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
Lol now their only good bands will be CYE and Streetlight. But what for though?

EDIT:
http://underthegunreview.net/2011/12...ctory-records/
they're not going to write/release any music until they're released from the label.
justinwho
long live RepliesWithGifs
User Info.
ahhhhh shit here we go.
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
Mo' fuckas' need to pay son!
07:21 PM on 12/14/11
ETGsynth
IWillBuryYou&EverythingYouBelieveIn
User Info.
The fuck is this.
07:21 PM on 12/14/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
welp
07:22 PM on 12/14/11
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
For those of you asking why they're suing, they want off the label.

Edit: okay its more than that, they're suing because A) they want off the label B) Victory is trying to claim copyright on their music even though they agreed that ADTR owns their music C) Victory is holding some of their royalties from sales in a "reserve for refunds" account, despite the fact that Victory's return policy is No Refunds. and something else i didn't fully understand
07:22 PM on 12/14/11
rushour144
User Info.
HAHAHAHA! I find it hilarious that almost EVERY band from Victory sues them once their contract is up!
07:23 PM on 12/14/11
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
07:25 PM on 12/14/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I hope ADTR's lawyers showed up to the court room and yelled THIS IS A BATTLEGROUND and just moshed the hell out of there
07:25 PM on 12/14/11
andthetruthwill
You keep company with wolves.
User Info.
Unfortunate. you think they would have learned from previous band's experience. This is something to be done after they are settled and adjusted with a new home, if at all. This just looks bad for both the band and label.
07:26 PM on 12/14/11
The Gunz Show
twitter.com/thegunzshow
User Info.
haha. i came across it and announced / read the complaint on my show earlier tonight. the audio / commentary will be up on thegunzshow.com later tonight.

pretty interesting though.

- Gunz

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests