Username
Password
Victory Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Victory Records
Inside AP.net

Victory Records Issue Statement Regarding Lawsuit

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (12/15/11)
Victory Records has released a statement recording the recent lawsuit filed by A Day To Remember. Read it in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 105
09:11 AM on 12/15/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
StatementRecent reports of claims filed by the Victory artist A Day to Remember (ADTR) in litigation
presently pending in US District Court in the Northern District of Illinois (a case that was just
transferred from Nashville upon Victory’s successful motion based upon improper venue) have
misleadingly stated that the principal issue in the case concerns the payment of royalties. The
lawsuit, filed shortly after the band hired new management, is really about the band’s refusal to
fulfill their 5-album contractual commitment to Victory and their newfound desire to move to a
major label. Recycled and often apocryphal stories of misguided and unsuccessful attempts by a
few Victory bands to jump ship from the label that put them on the map have one common
truthful thread; they always end badly for the band. In those cases, the bands eventually seek
reconciliation and often ask to return to the Victory fold after having been disappointed by their
post-Victory experiences. Victory is confident that this dispute will be resolved to the
satisfaction of both the band and Victory, and that ADTR will continue to deliver great music to
Victory in the coming years. Victory continues to honor its commitment to ADTR by placing its
significant resources behind the band’s current album, What Separates Me From You, which
continues to climb the charts and meet or exceed Victory’s expectations. The band, in the
meantime, has enjoyed the benefits of the hundreds of thousands of dollars in record royalties
generated from their album sales, which Victory accounts for in full compliance with its contract.
Victory's job remains the same- work hard, sell records and abide by our agreements.
09:14 AM on 12/15/11
Tyler Vagyler
Tight Dick Playa
User Info.
Dumb.

If ADTR signed a 5 album contract, then they have to fulfill it. Unless they have an opt-out type agreement in the contract, which doesn't seem to be the case.
09:17 AM on 12/15/11
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
Well, ADTR did sign THREE, FOUR, FIVE ON THE DOTTED LINE.
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Dumb.

If ADTR signed a 5 album contract, then they have to fulfill it. Unless they have an opt-out type agreement in the contract, which doesn't seem to be the case.
ADTR has already fulfilled that, to my understanding.
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
That is easily one of the biggest pieces of bullshit I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

"Recycled and often apocryphal stories of misguided and unsuccessful attempts by a
few Victory bands to jump ship from the label that put them on the map have one common
truthful thread; they always end badly for the band. In those cases, the bands eventually seek
reconciliation and often ask to return to the Victory fold after having been disappointed by their
post-Victory experiences."

Really?
09:18 AM on 12/15/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Although it might be unfair, Victory probably hasn't done anything illegal.
09:18 AM on 12/15/11
wall e
the wizard of loneliness
User Info.
Gotta keep to their contract, no matter how badly it sucks.
09:19 AM on 12/15/11
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Technically they have put out over five full lengths. Victory reissued And Their Name Was Treason, plus re-released both For Those Who Have Heart and Homesick.

Also, I'm surprised a major label hasn't just bought out their contract from Victory. Also surprised that a band like ADTR would sign a 5 record agreement, that seems like a lot to commit to an indie label.
09:19 AM on 12/15/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
The new Jonny Craig.
09:20 AM on 12/15/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
sounds like the people at victory are really full of themselves. the reply reads like something from a dictatorship.
09:21 AM on 12/15/11
wall e
the wizard of loneliness
User Info.
sounds like the people at victory are really full of themselves. the reply reads like something from a dictatorship.
It's weird, but I read it like that too.
09:21 AM on 12/15/11
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Yeah I don't think the label has the best PR team haha
09:22 AM on 12/15/11
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
"In those cases, the bands eventually seek reconciliation and often ask to return to the Victory fold after having been disappointed by their post-Victory experiences."

09:24 AM on 12/15/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
I feel like this is open-and-shut. Either ADTR fulfilled the contract, or they didn't.

(Recycled joke: shame it's not about Victory roots.)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests