Password

Album Review
Real Estate - Days Album Cover

Real Estate - Days

Reviewed by
Real Estate - Days
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Record Label: Domino/EMI
New Jersey's Real Estate really scored with It's Real, the first single from sophomore effort, Days. Combining the catchy group vocals of Local Natives or Fleet Foxes with a jangly guitar style reminiscent of early REM, the track's chorus soars and places it alongside the best singles of 2011.

While there's nothing else quite that remarkable - although Municipality comes close - what Days has going for it above all is a consistency of tone. Those interlaced ringing guitars of Matthew Mondanile, Martin Courtney and Jonah Maurer combine gorgeously throughout, with Courtney's dreamy lead vocals complemented by heart melting harmonies.

It all adds up to a beautifully hazy indie pop record, perfectly suited to hot summer days. Easy opens the album in an appropriately easygoing fashion, before Green Isles reels things in further with a 55-second intro, stretching out for five minutes about "wasted miles", "endless drives" and a "careless lifestyle", eventually coming to the conclusion that "it was not so unwise".

Following It's Real, Kinder Blumen provides an unexpected change-up for a three-minute instrumental of woven guitars. The middle of the album includes Out Of Tune, a typically tuneful number broken up by some tastefully subdued guitar leads, and Municipality, the album's stand-out melodic centrepiece, complete with Beach Boys-esque harmonies and chiming guitars. It's a terrific example of Real Estate's newfound maturity on album number two.

8.5/10
This review is a user submitted review from InfiniteArms. You can see all of InfiniteArms's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
03:03 PM on 12/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
100%
04:06 PM on 12/18/11
lowerC
merr.
User Info.
album is 100%
07:11 PM on 12/18/11
JoshSalas
User Info.
___________________ 100%
07:24 PM on 12/18/11
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
07:26 PM on 12/18/11
JoshSalas
User Info.
08:16 PM on 12/18/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
you guys are crayyyy.
12:42 AM on 12/19/11
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
I'm comfortable with the score.
01:27 AM on 12/19/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
my #2 album of the year. but yes, 100%!
04:51 AM on 12/19/11
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
"Green Aisles" is one of my favorite songs of the year. I'm probably going to combine this album and Arcade Dynamics on my end-of-the-year list just to make more room.
10:03 AM on 12/20/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.

This isn't exactly the music you're into so I can see why you see that way.
10:15 AM on 12/20/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
This isn't exactly the music you're into so I can see why you see that way.
Nah, I just meant the 100% repetition was funny, I actually haven't heard this. But Ive got some stuff in my EOTY list that would surprise people, maybe not though, haha. Anyway, I listen to just about everything.
10:22 AM on 12/20/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Nah, I just meant the 100% repetition was funny, I actually haven't heard this. But Ive got some stuff in my EOTY list that would surprise people, maybe not though, haha. Anyway, I listen to just about everything.

Haha I see. Yeah, didn't think people were going to parrot me on that post - even though it's true. You should definitely give this a listen.
10:27 AM on 12/20/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Haha I see. Yeah, didn't think people were going to parrot me on that post - even though it's true. You should definitely give this a listen.
Will do. And definitely, I gotta admit that the mimicking did spark my interest haha.
10:33 AM on 12/20/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Will do. And definitely, I gotta admit that the mimicking did spark my interest haha.

A bit off topic but since we're on year end list I also wanted to mention Royal Headache. These guys are probably more up you alley. One of the best after-the-fact albums I discovered from this year.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos