Album Review

Jacob And I - Shadout Mapes Album Cover

Jacob And I - Shadout Mapes

Reviewed by
Jacob And I - Shadout Mapes
Release Date - June 13, 2007
Record Label - Self-released

Who:

South Carolina based trio who are gaining fans left and right and have earned the admiration of their amazingly talented up and coming peers Street Smart Cyclist and Algernon Cadwallader, among others.

How Is It?

Have you ever found yourself browsing myspace randomly for music and then finding that band that makes you stop for more than a few seconds because they are just that good? That is the sort of feeling I got when I discovered this talented trio who is sans guitar player, but still manage to create some of the most interesting and enjoyable indie rock songs I have heard in quite some time. Their demo Shadout Mapes is the first recording they have released, but there is no “rough around the edges” moments here that detract from the quality of these four instrumental tracks. They flow together seamlessly and exhibit a level of musicianship and maturity that is often not found in many bands when they are just starting out. Their intricate arrangements of quirky indie rock will satisfy the tastes of anyone who is currently enjoying the emergence of talented indie rock bands such as Street Smart Cyclist, Algernon Cadwallader, and Know Think. Not only is the music found on this demo quite extraordinary, it is also available for free download on the bands Virb page so do you yourself a favor and add this to your music library ASAP.

Download Shadout Mapes - http://www.virb.com/jacobandi
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
07:11 PM on 07/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sounds really cool, checking them out now.

Thanks for the heads up homie
01:14 PM on 07/28/07
Specs
User Info.
I'm surprised rich thought this had a lasting value of 9.5. I couldn't listen to music without vocals for very long.
05:25 PM on 07/28/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I'm surprised rich thought this had a lasting value of 9.5. I couldn't listen to music without vocals for very long.

Its all a matter of opinion. I dont really need vocals and they dont play a big part in music for me, so for me I dont mind listening to it over and over again (as I have been for weeks now). For some people it will be a turn off, but for me I think it still sounds great and is a good listen. Its all a matter of taste.
02:33 AM on 07/29/07
Pavement
Asian Eater
User Info.
Listening to it now and I'm really liking it. Kinda math-rocky.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos