1. How did you get your band name? When I moved to mainland UK (from Jersey Channel Island) I had started going in a slightly different direction with my music and decided it would be good to start off with a new name. I also just wanted a name to release my music under other than my real name. My recordings under the old name were terrible as well and I wanted to leave that behind and start off new. The new name is as simple as 'Ash' comes from my middle name and I like the word 'Victim' and it relates to some of my inspirations.
2. How did this band get started? I had a band where I used to live but occasionally the band members wouldn't be able to make it to gigs due to other commitments. Therefore, I thought it would be good if I could play these gigs on my own so I started writing my solo stuff. I continued to do the band until I moved away and now I am concentrating purely on my solo stuff.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
A lot but I will name a few which might be noticeable in the music:
Some of my many inspirations are; Pat the Bunny (Johnny Hobo & the Freight Trains, Wingnut Dishwashers Union, Ramshackle Glory), Chris Burrows (Asking For It, The Anorexic Olsen Twin, This Is A Robbery!), System of a Down (and all their solo projects and other bands), Gogol Bordello, The Nightwatchman, Woody Guthrie (pretty much everyone is influenced by him), Stza Crack (Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Star Fucking Hipsters), loads of other Crack Rock Steady bands, Mischief Brew, Chumbawamba, The King Blues, Beng Beng Cocktail, and many many many many many more.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Chapter Eleven, because they've been nothing but nice to me since I moved over and their music is awesome. I most probably will tour with them one day soon. We often play the same gigs anyway.
Any of Chris Burrows of Pat the Bunny's bands past or present because they are amazing. This probably won't happen though because they're based in far off lands.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
I haven't exactly toured yet; I just play gigs here and there whenever possible. Shall hopefully be touring next year, howeve, and I intend to take a BIG supply of Bombay Mix.
6. Why should people listen to your band? It's up to them whether they do or not. I'm not going to force anybody! Depends if you're into this sorta stuff or not.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? I don't think I want to be an athlete... and for that matter I don't really know of many athletes...
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'm not going to win a Grammy. If I did I'd thank anyone who's ever given me a gig and helped me out with music and/or inspired me I guess.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? I'd take the industry out of it.
10. Memorable tour experience?
I ain't toured yet!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a good resource for getting my music out there and finding out about new awesome bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Really like covering 'I Guess That's What Brains Look Like' by The Anorexic Olsen Twin. Out of my own songs it's probably one of my new ones 'Dead Alive' at the moment.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? I'd really like to visit somewhere in the Middle East.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Chumbawamba and The Offspring.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Teleportation would be pretty cool so I can visit and explore loads of different places. Places that are expensive to get to or I'm not allowed to be.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really, but I have learned not to drink or eat too much before I go on stage and also make sure I always have a glass of water on stage with me.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Maybe my real name... I dunno, I try and be pretty open.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
No idea because I don't really listen to the radio. I'm not very bothered about getting played on it but if anyone wants to then go ahead!
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write songs, listen to music, go to gigs, discover new bands, read, educate myself on stuff, busking, drink coffee and cider.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? Erm... I don't really hide any talents, but I can make my eyebrows wave like the kids in that Cadbury's advert. But I did it well before them; they were copying me. Bastards.