AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Drama News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Black Keys Sound Off On Nickelback and Sorry State of Rock Music

Posted by - 12:59 PM on 01/04/12
The Black Keys will be on the cover of the next issue of Rolling Stone. And they're not pulling punches. In a recently released excerpt, found here, the band takes direct aim at Nickeback. Personally, I love seeing this kind of honesty from artists. Plus, it always helps when the punching bag deserves it.
From the ArticleRock & roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world,” he says, blowing cigarette smoke out the window of his rented East Village loft a few days *before the band heads to L.A. “So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be shit – therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. Fuck that! Rock & roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don’t like to see it fucking ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit. When people start lumping us into that kind of shit, it’s like, ‘Fuck you,’ honestly.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 390
01:01 PM on 01/04/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
yes
01:01 PM on 01/04/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
so true, plus the Black Keys rule. El Camino is the JAM
01:04 PM on 01/04/12
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
This is perfect.
01:04 PM on 01/04/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Quote:
spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit

I feel like I've said nearly the exact same thing so many times, haha.
01:05 PM on 01/04/12
SureAsRain
The Motel Life / Michael
User Info.
preach it!
01:05 PM on 01/04/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Duh.
01:06 PM on 01/04/12
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I always get so excited to read when I see the "DRAMA" in the post name.
01:11 PM on 01/04/12
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
Haha, awesome.
01:11 PM on 01/04/12
burncitiesas
User Info.
01:12 PM on 01/04/12
AussieBoy
User Info.
I dont think the black keys are the saviors they think they are
01:13 PM on 01/04/12
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
Nickelback is the biggest rock band in the world?

Seriously though, I don't like Nickelback either, but I can't stand it when bands shit on other bands for the type of music they play. If you want to say that you met those guys a few times and they were dicks then fine. But for these hipster douchebags to imply that any kind of music (except the music they play of course) is illegitimate is stupid.

From where I am standing, this wave of nonsense hipster rock that has been big the past few years feels every bit as "force fed" as Nickelback is. All of these motherfuckers look the same and all of their music sounds the same and if any of them are around in 5 years I would be shocked.
01:14 PM on 01/04/12
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
My roommates and I started a mock-modern rock-Nickelback style band called Young Dan Tucker. Check it out!

Just search Youtube for "Young Dan Tucker", there are a lot of... well, I wouldn't say "gems"...
01:15 PM on 01/04/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Nickelback is the biggest rock band in the world?

Seriously though, I don't like Nickelback either, but I can't stand it when bands shit on other bands for the type of music they play. If you want to say that you met those guys a few times and they were dicks then fine. But for these hipster douchebags to imply that any kind of music (except the music they play of course) is illegitimate is stupid.

From where I am standing, this wave of nonsense hipster rock that has been big the past few years feels every bit as "force fed" as Nickelback is. All of these motherfuckers look the same and all of their music sounds the same and if any of them are around in 5 years I would be shocked.
The Black Keys have been around since 2001.
01:16 PM on 01/04/12
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
Oh, Patrick, hahaha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT