AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Rogue Like Comets - 01.04.12

Interviewed by
Rogue Like Comets - 01.04.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Rogue Like Comets

www.facebook.com/roguelikecomets
www.twitter.com/roguelikecomets
www.soundcloud.com/roguelikecomets

1. How did you get your band name?
Natchai(lead singer/guitar): "Is there any story to the name, you ask? Well, we actually just thought of a whole heap of band names, none of which really stuck. I don’t know about the other guys, but I really like a 3 piece band name. It just looks cool to me, for reasons unknown. As far as meaning goes, well… I don’t ‘really’ know, but I guess the first explanation that came to my mind is that our songs are pretty diverse in mood and character, something which you will come to find out soon, hopefully. I also just like the word rogue, and what it stands for, the mischievous playfulness, the unreliability (of which we had a bit). Comets just fitted in nicely with the rogue part because they are essentially quite the rogue-y objects (I realize that scientists can predict their paths and what not, but the fact that they are there and have a certain path for no reason just kinda stuck, I guess). I’m rambling.
In essence, it just looks and sounds cool. And we just wanted something that wouldn’t tie us down to either very serious punk rock or kiddy pop punk. That’s all."

2. How did this band get started?
Natchai(lead singer/guitar): "Well, it started with some small talk between Bart(ex-bassist) the singer of Rafflesia and I. He and I wanted to form a punk rock band for quite some time. I had just gone through a band break-up and he was searching for something else. We finally decided we would put our balls where your mouths are and actually started to make some music. We talked Yannick(guitarist) into joining early on. The search for a drummer was a little trickier, we had come to find out about Geoffrey(drummer) through a friend. He was still in another band at the time and wasn't sure if he had enough spare time to devote to us. In time though, we seemed to have convinced him with the music we were making. Which is good because we really were dead set on getting him in the band. I guess that's how it started really. Bart eventually left us, due to time-restrictions and life intervening, so we had to fill our bass-player slot. Found out through a friend that Stef played the bass, and we really were looking for a bass player who could bring some diversity to the table. Needless to say he fit right in."

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Natchai (lead singer/guitar): "We really are a pop punk band. But I guess what makes us different from today's pop punk bands is that we're not as polished, though I guess that's not always what we strive for. We get most of our inspiration from the late 90's begin 2000 bands. Yes. It's true, we do count Blink-182 and Sum-41 to our influences, but then there's also Fenix TX, Bowling For Soup, NOFX, Bouncing Souls and MXPX. We definitely respect the current day pop punk monster bands, such as New Found Glory, Motion City Soundtrack and All Time Low and what have you, but they're just too polished for our taste."

Stef(Bass): "And I’m actually a very big Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stone Age fan!"

Geoff(Drums): “I’m pretty much into anything that pleases my ears or I can dance to! It doesn’t matter what style, except Bieber… maybe! But hey, we’ve all got our guilty pleasures right?”

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Stef(Bass): “The Ramones, no doubt. They lived punk, it must’ve been so awesome to see them play. Even when you listen to their studio recordings you feel the energy they’re creating."

Yannick(guitar):"Would have to be NOFX, not only for the music but also for the entire NOFX experience. Every time I have seen those guys on stage it's been nothing but fun. Also the tales you hear about these guys are epic. And, of course, who else to learn from than people who have been in "the scene" for years and probably have almost seen it all, right ?"

Natchai (lead singer/guitar):
"I would've loved to have been on the pop punk disaster tour bill! Blink-182 and Green Day co-headlining! I would've been glad to just play our songs at the door or whatever."

Geoff(Drums):
“Blink-182 (Travis Barker anyone??), Michael Jackson because he’s a legend and the beats are sick, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, P.O.D., Limp Bizkit, Incubus, the early years of The Lostprophets, Pearl Jam… I could go on and on!”

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Yannick(guitar):"Anything deep fried!"

Geoff(Drums): “Chocolate cake drenched with some kind of alcohol, preferably Amaretto! I’m fancy like that…”

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Yannick (guitar):"Basically to be reminded that there is more out there than the clean, over-produced pop/rock/punk whatever-you-want-to-call-it music. Also because the music we make is all about having fun and being able to enjoy yourself without having to wear certain clothes, talk a certain way or behave in a certain matter."

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Yannick(guitar):"Usain Bolt, that dude is awesome ! Plus his laid back attitude totally fits the music we make."

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Stef (bass): "My Mom."

Geoff(Drums): “God! Parents, friends, my good looks and Margaret my satnav because without her I’d get lost.”

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Stef (Bass): “Make them stop bitchin’ about how pirating is ruining everything. If something's ruining the music industry it’s them! They just don’t care about the music anymore, as long as it’s a hot girl or guy who can dance a little and lip-sync during live concerts they're good to go. Sure it’s harder than it used to be to get you records sold but at the same time, with the internet, it has never been easier for a band to get heard without having to jump into the studio. For instance, I use music downloads to discover new things, and when I like it I go out and buy it or go to see one of their shows and, if they really rock, even buy some of their merch."

Yannick(Guitar):"Being more accessible, I mean I know there are loads of bands out there who want to make their music known to the world, and it's impossible for all these bands to get noticed, but the truth is these days it is almost impossible to get in with any label without connections or a massive budget to make a CD. So a lot of young people are either financially not up to it or just don't try because it's too damn hard. And in that way we are missing out on a lot of talent in my opinion."

Geoff(Drums)
: “Bring back some real instrumental rock and punk without all this polished electronic pansy dance crap!”

10. Memorable tour experience?

Stef (Bass): “Not with this band, yet, but on my first show ever I banged my head into a wooden bar and had to be taken to the hospital because my skull was clearly showing. I guess some people in the audience won’t be forgetting that anytime soon.”

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Natchai (lead singer/guitar): "Quite simply it's one of the best punk rock/alternative music community websites out there, period. The fact that they provide me with the news that interests me, music-wise, do regular giveaways (though only for US residents, sad face), exclusive interviews and yet keep an open mind about new and unsigned bands make AP.net a pretty unique community. I guess that's why I kind of love it. Sure the forums can be harsh at times, but there's also a lot of really cool people to be found there."

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Natchai (lead singer/guitar): "Every song is a joy to play really. From the very short, straightforward punk songs to the darker songs we have like 'Take My Hand'. They've meant a whole lot to me in some point of my own life and I can recall what I felt when I wrote the lyrics and/or guitar parts for each of the songs we have. I guess a punk rock ballad is all that's missing, eh"

Geoff(Drums): “Britney’s Oops I did it again (I know we’re not playing it… But we should, just saying.)”

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Yannick(guitar): "Anywhere where I can find beer, sun and hot chicks ?"

Natchai (lead singer/ guitar): "I really enjoy all the time I get to spend in the US. I've been to San Francisco and New York so far. I felt right at home in both places, and I've no doubt in my mind California is a place I could live. Other than that, safari's in Kenya or somewhere Middle Eastern. I just like seeing the world really..."

Geoff(Drums): “Anywhere I haven’t been yet!”

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?"

Stef (bass): “Queen, my dad’s favorite band. Brian May got me into playing guitar when I was about 8 years old, and later on Deacon got me in picking up bass as well. Only too bad I will never be able to sing like Freddie did…”

Yannick(guitar):"The Scandinavian skate/surf punk from the 90's, Venerea, Millencollin, No Fun At All, Satanic Surfers, etc..."

Geoff(Drums): “Michael Jackson, Joe Cocker, Nirvana, Blink-182, Pearl Jam, Will Smith…”

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Yannick(guitar):"Being able to take on any form I want because, come on, how cool would that be?!"

Geoff(Drums): “Eat whatever I want but forever have a body like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky!”

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Yannick (guitar):"Pre-show dump !"

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Yannick(guitar):"I actually have a really boring desk job."

Stef (bass): “I think a lot of people actually do know this but I’m kind of a (really big) nerd. I’m even majoring in physics, ha!”

Geoff(Drums): “I’m a full on Christian! And I can finish a complete KFC Family Feast meal in 8min 32sec!”

Natchai (lead singer/ guitar): "I'm the kid that at like 5 or 6 years old performed Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" in a playback show in front of like a hundred or more people on the spaghetti evening of my sports team. People still ask me to fucking moonwalk ! --destroys video tape --"

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Natchai (lead singer/guitar): "Here in Belgium, not really. But radio in general, yes! The reason I say this is that there are only like two or three radio stations worth listening to in Belgium and their main focus is the commercial top-50 of music. Even the so-called alternative radio stations are unreachable for bands without major label backing. I guess that's why other countries have a healthier radio-landscape, with college and genre-specific radio stations."

Geoff(Drums): “It could and it should! This kind of music has to come back!”

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Geoff(drums): “Growing my faith, playing drums, eat, work out, eat, sleep, eat, games, eat, road trips, movie’s, designing tattoos, building drums, finding more spare time…”

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Yannick(Guitar):"When I was younger I actually was quite the actor. "

Geoff(Drums): “I love drawing.”

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News