Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Blog: Reunions are F***ing Dead

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (01/10/12)
In light of yesterday's news of reunions by both At the Drive In and Refused (as well as many reunions to date), I've given some thought to seeing the past moments we cherish being played out in the present. After reading this, hit the replies and let us know your favorite moment that no reunion could ever recreate. Was it in a basement? Was it with less than 50 people? Did the performance floor you, and at that moment, did you know that particular band would be something special years later?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 101
07:39 AM on 01/10/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not denouncing either reunion or any reunion for that matter, I'm just making a point that what happened then can never be recreated in the present. live each show like it was that band's final one...
07:42 AM on 01/10/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
I saw Taking Back Sunday in 2002 in Montreal, with the original lineup, in a venue that could probably only handle a hundred people. Never gonna happen again.
07:43 AM on 01/10/12
ACA
Next Show: MotionCitySoundtrack @NY
User Info.
I don't get distressed over band breakups or reunions. There's pros and cons to both.

It's 2012, and there are more than enough extremely talented bands out there. Hell, you don't even have to pay a cent to hear them.

We're no longer being force-fed bands (by MTV.. by the radio.. by labels on mail order catalogs or "samplers"). If you want to hear new music, all you need to do is talk to people. Make forum threads. Go to local or large shows, see who impresses you.

It's really nice.

That being said, there will always be moments of musical discovery that can't be beat.. the first time I discovered that music doesn't have to come from the radio in the form of Top 40. The first time I listened to a real punk band. The first time I found out that hip-hop/rap doesn't have to suck. The first time I discovered that punk music isn't the only good music. The first songs I learned on guitar. The first full album to mean something more than a collection of songs. The first time you meet your favorite band. The first time you share a stage with a favorite band. The first song you write and play for others. Etc.

A great show, for me, and in the spirit of breakups/reunions, will always be the Thursday / Thrice / Coheed and Cambria tour. I caught it in Philadelphia in a sold out 2500-capacity venue. Funny, that lineup would easily go in reverse a decade later. (And, as someone who's seen every single Thursday song they've played -- with exception of "Subway Funeral", which didn't get played in this area for some reason.. -- it was the one show where I caught "Marches and Maneuvers" as well as "Steps Ascending".)
07:44 AM on 01/10/12
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
I caught the Bowery Ballroom show of the Nine Inch Nails farewell tour in NYC. Considering I live in Oklahoma, I sure as hell didn't think I'd be lucky enough to get a ticket and go. Only 250 pairs of tickets were sold, which you had to provide ID for (hence, no scalping). It's like I was supposed to be there. Best 2+ hours I've ever witnessed in concert. Bittersweet.
07:45 AM on 01/10/12
PezMullet
Get ready
User Info.
I saw Taking Back Sunday in 2002 in Montreal, with the original lineup, in a venue that could probably only handle a hundred people. Never gonna happen again.

At the Rainbow? I was there too. Also saw Coheed, Thrice and Hot Water Music at the same venue. Saw Midtown and My Chemical Romance at l'X. 50 people haha
07:49 AM on 01/10/12
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
I always felt that the way Refused left the world of music was perfect, and although I am clearly exctied about the reuinion, I have a sense that they may be pissing on their legacy.
07:51 AM on 01/10/12
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Any early show by Strike Anywhere that I saw was so special. They played the Wilson Center (basically a school all-purpose room) in DC back in 2000, before they released a full-length, and the energy in that place was off the hook. They stopped having shows at that venue shortly afterwards.
07:51 AM on 01/10/12
ACA
User Info.
I should also note, seeing Saosin with Anthony Green (and Story of the Year) in what was basically an attic (capacity: 100, crowd: 50) was pretty fucking awesome. Met a girl whom I dated for a long time and shaped much of my musical taste there, too.

Thankfully, there are still great bands making great music playing in tiny, intimate venues. I caught the band that put out one of the best records of 2011 playing in a school classroom just a few weeks ago.
07:53 AM on 01/10/12
ACA
User Info.
Any early show by Strike Anywhere that I saw was so special. They played the Wilson Center (basically a school all-purpose room) in DC back in 2000, before they released a full-length, and the energy in that place was off the hook. They stopped having shows at that venue shortly afterwards.
I don't think I've seen Strike Anywhere live. I'd really like to, but it never aligns.

They still play tiny spots. I think they played a 100-200 capacity bowling alley in Jersey last year.
07:53 AM on 01/10/12
bones jones
'rrhea
User Info.
went to URI in 2002 to see dashboard and get up kids, ended up falling in love with the opening band, some weird group singing songs about mix tapes and semesters abroad

also a paramore, cartel, receving end of sirens, and acceptance show in poughkeepsie in 2004. couldn't believe how much awesome was on the same stage that night.
07:55 AM on 01/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I don't want the first time I got to see Broken Social Scene to be the last time I ever get to see them.
07:56 AM on 01/10/12
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
For me it was seeing TBS and Brand New as local bands before being signed artists! I also went to school with some members from Envy On The Coast; so seeing them as a popular band aside from being the kid in my math class talking about his band was interesting.

A huge moment was when I saw Straylight Run in albany at a shitty venue that looked like a crack house. There was no more than a 100 people. This was back in 09, so it was one of their last tours. John Nolan seemed sadder back then. During the acoustic part of the set I shouted "play crack the sky"... I didn't think he would respond to it and actually play it! Since he forgot the chords another guy from the audience joined him on stage and played it with him. It was great! There are only two videos of it on youtube.
07:57 AM on 01/10/12
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
There was a Dashboard Confessional/Thursday show in a little room at a college by me in 1999 I think. Maybe 20 kids there. Chris was more known for FsF at the time.
07:58 AM on 01/10/12
betweenvega
one two three fo fiffffffffffffffff
User Info.

this is how we doooo ittttt

RIP
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives