10:09 PM on 01/11/12 
User Info.
MarkJ801
Salt Lake City, UT
Male - 26 Years Old
Just off the top of my head...

Salt Lake City, Utah

Average Size
In the Venue - The most common venue for shows. They have two sides that are completely separated, a small and large. They have two shows going at the same time sometimes. They've really improved over the years, they are definitely my favorite. They used to be called Bricks. The bar area is on the upper level that circles the stage.
The Complex - They also have two sides, an average size and a very large side. In my experience, it's not a very good venue and the sound usually isn't that great either.
The Depot (21+ sometimes, sometimes all ages) - I've never actually been here, but I think it's fairly small.

Large
Saltair (indoor GA) - The most common for bigger bands too big for average size but not amphitheater level. There's a very long standing area, with a 21+ bar surrounding that on the upper level. Never been up there, though. It's outside of the city though, close to the lake.
USANA (outdoor amphitheater) - Depending on the shows, they have a big standing area or seats in front of the stage, then the amphitheater of seats, followed by a GA grassy area way at the top.
State Fairgrounds (outdoor GA) - A giant fairgrounds of grass, dirt, and cement with multiple bathrooms and permanent food vendors. This is where Warped Tour is always at.

Small
Kilby Court - This is basically a converted two car garage. Lots of tiny shows here and they are a lot of fun.
The Urban Lounge (21+) - The dance floor is about 10 feet square, surrounded by metal bars. The bar and booths are behind that directly across from the stage.
The Shred Shed - This is a brand new venue that I've yet to go to. Have no idea how it is inside.
10:36 PM on 01/11/12 
User Info.
voncorn
Once again, it's all an act.
Denver, CO
Male - 23 Years Old
Colorado

Denver:
Marquis Theater (small club)
Summit Music Hall (medium-sized club)
Ogden Theatre (medium-sized club)
Bluebird Theater (small club)
Gothic Theatre (medium-sized club)
Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom (medium-sized club)
Hi-Dive (small dive bar)
Larimer Lounge (small dive bar)
Fillmore Auditorium (large-sized indoor venue)
Blast-O-Mat (DIY space)
Rhinoceropolis (DIY space)
Red Rocks Amphitheater (very large amphitheater)
Pepsi Center (arena)
1st Bank center (arena)

Colorado Springs:
The Black Sheep (small club)
The Loft (small club)
Colorado Springs City Auditorium (large-sized indoor venue)

Boulder:
Fox Theater (medium-sized club)
Boulder Theater (large-sized indoor venue)

Fort Collins:
Aggie Theatre (medium-sized club)
Hodi's Half Note (small club)

Grand Junction:
Mesa Theater (medium-sized club)
11:13 PM on 01/11/12 
User Info.
davidwalbrun
Registered Member
Downers Grove, IL
Male - 21 Years Old
Chicago/Northern Illinois Suburbs

Bottom Lounge - 700 Capacity, No Barricade, Has been attracting many national tours recently, location downtown is just ok, kinda shady in the surrounding areas, usually attracts very energetic and fun crowds I would recommend it for a show, also the merch area is the worst i have even encountered Upcoming Shows - The Cab/The Summer Set, The Wonder Years (PERFECT for them), Every Avenue/WATIC, Sleeping With Sirens

Mojoes - 1100 Capacity, No Barricade, Very new venue (relocation of older venue), starting to attract more tours than the venues downtown (located in the suburb of Joliet btw), easy to get to with free parking, downtown joliet is pretty harmless, occasionally a few less than reputable characters but other than that ok, venue is nice inside with a large bar in the back with tvs with sports on if you want to escape shitty bands, crowds are hit or miss in terms of energy, i do enjoy it though, merch area is decent can get conjested Upcoming Shows - Falling In Reverse, The Dangerous Summer, Mayday Parade, For Today, ISMFOF, WCAR

Penny Road Pub - 150 Capacity Upstairs w/ barricade, probably similar downstaris w/ no barricade (stage is like 1 foot off the ground lol) I have only been here once for an all day fest, not a fan, security would step in any time any type of energy started and its in the middle of nowhere in the northern suburbs (barrington), more people go for the bar than the music probably, merch was all over the place so i dont know how it is normally run Upcoming Shows - Dr Acula/Design The Skyline (hahahahahahaha)

House of Blues - 1300 Capacity, Barricade, Always a popular venue for bigger tours to go to, hasnt been getting many tours recently but always has a few that would interest this site, sound is pretty good, gets a lot of hate but im ok with it because the crowds are usually good, its in a great location downtown it was also the first venue i went to so its hold a special place for me, can get kinda crammed (ADTR on Toursick was so tightly packed), merch area is pretty awful, gets very congested, Upcoming Shows - D.R.U.G.S., Jacks Mannequin, August Burns Red, Hot Chelle Rae

First Midwest Bank Ampitheatre - 28000 Capacity, I think its obvious, The big one, all the huge national tours come here in the summer,ive been there for any type of set up (festival, just a show etc) Its just ok as a venue, the sound there is pretty bad and security are usually a bunch of idiots who dont know how to run a venue, merch is crammed into 2 spots but its not too bad, easily accessible in the suburbs (Tinley Park) but traffic can get awful if you decide to show up close to showtime, would prefer a better large venue, but its what we got Upcoming Shows - Warped Tour, Mayhem Fest, country stuff probably

Aragon Ballroom - 4500 capacity, Barricade, one of two large dedicated concert venues downtown, attracts the big tours, location is decent the L is right next to it so not a bad commute and shows get out early so trains are accessible, merch has a dedicated area and is pretty well run so no complaints there, such a huge place with a lot of room to roam around, sound is decent i usually enjoy the shows there so i would recommend it Upcoming Shows - Megadeth, Snow Patrol

Congress Theater - 4500 capacity, barricade, the other of the aforementioned venues, public trans is very close to the venue but its location is pretty shady, and i had a very scary moment after the gamechangers tour (short ver:almost missed final train of night with dead cell phone) so im not a fan, another big venue with also just decent sound like aragon, the merch was a mess when i was there, its ok but id take aragon over it anyday Upcoming Shows - Foster The People

Reggie's Rock CLub - 400 Capacity, no barricade, terrible, terrible location (shady as fuck), terrible sound, terrible place to see shows, luckily i have only been there once, merch is terrible, really not much positive things to say about the place, doesnt attract many tours anywway Upcoming Shows - Chiddy Bang, Anti-Flag

Charter One Pavillion - 8000 capacity, barricade, my favorite outdoor venue that i have been too, unfortunately does not host many tours that myself or this website would want to go to, great sound cool location on the shore but not ideal if you want to take public trans, merch is set up ok can get congested, a lot of space to walk around and chill, but overall just a great venue that i really enjoyed the couple times i have been there, shows only take place in the summer and none have been announced

Riviera Theatre - 2300 capacity, barricade, decent place, located a block away from aragon ballroom, not a fan of the set up inside, the places where you stand are in like 3 sections, merch wasnt very well run, sound was just ok, not a very popular venue Upcoming Shows - Childish Gambino

The Vic - 1300 capacity, never been there, good location i hear Upcoming Shows - fun.

Metro - 1150 capacity, surprisingly never been there, also good location down the street from Wrigley field Upcoming Shows - The Darkness, Lucero

Beat Kitchen - 250 capacity, never been there, really no clue on anything about it, Upcoming Shows - You Me At Six/The Swellers, Cassadee Pope Solo, Man Overboard

Other Venues I have been to

The Rave - Hands down the best venue i have ever been to, Located in Milwaukee,WI and conviently located right down the street from Marquette University where i currently reside, some of the surrounding area is shady but if you stay on wisconsin ave you will be fine, parking is ok if you are form out of town, now inside is intresting, there is 5 stages, yes 5 well 2 are side stages but who cares, 5 stages in one indoor venue, you could pull off a warped tour in there (just kidding), but there are 3 levels the lowest is a roughly 700-1000 capcity intimate venue with a barricade, it is a huge room and the merch is far from the stage so easily run, decent sound but not the best room to see a show, the middle level is probably the best room known as the rave and is 1700 capacity with a barricade, solid sound with a balcony and good merch area, going to shows in this room are always good times, the top level known as the eagles ballroom is a 3500 capacity room with a barricade that attracts the largest tours to Wisconsin, sound is not too good, im cool with going to a show in there but i would prefer the rave, its very big with individual balconys, merch is on the lower floor so it is very well run. My only complaints are the security can occasionally be assholes, but dont make a fuss too much, the milwaukee music scene is pretty weak you really got to make it special for yourself if you want it to be a memorable show sometime, and lastly tours just dont come here that much, we get all the shitty djs and not enough pop punk or metal tours, but overall it is a great venue, there is a reason it was voted the 2011 Alt Press Venue of the year Upcoming Tours - In Flames, Machine Head, Jacks Mannequin, The Cab, Attack Attack!, Megadeth, Mindless Self Indulgence, ISMFOF, Hot Chelle Rae

Marcus Ampitheater - I'll keep it short, I was there for summer fest, really crowded, tons of stages all with bleachers so no moshing really, and if you want a seat you gotta get there really early, not a fan, cool place to chill though

Well there ya have it my take on the venues in chicago/suburbs and other venues i have been too, there are more, but i tried to keep it to venues that attract national acts. Feel free to ask more questions or if you are from here comments on these places
06:20 AM on 01/12/12 
User Info.
iloveaildsomuch
If your favorite isn't The Orange Peel then you are crazy. It's the greatest. (except all the security are pricks)
I only said that due to security. It's a RARE occasion i get to dance at the orange peel. Orange peel is good for shows that don't make ya wanna move ;p
10:29 AM on 01/12/12 
User Info.
gurby
the kids can't lose
Charlotte, NC
Female - 26 Years Old
Minnesota

Minneapolis Venues

Triple Rock Social Club - 400 capacity, no barricade, located near the university of minnesota campus, close to downtown, dive bar attached to it, no booze in venue side during all ages shows but allowed for 18+, very intimate, stage dives and interaction with the bands encouraged, hosts all kinds of local and touring shows, bar side has great food with vegetarian/vegan options, bands love playing here and tend to rave about the food, by far my favorite venue, tiny parking lot i've never tried to enter, they encourage walking/biking/bussing, i've never had a problem parking on the side street to the right of it, it's co-owned by one of the members of Dillinger Four, and lastly have you ever heard the song "seeing double at the triple rock"

The Cabooze - 1100 capacity, i've had mixed experiences with this venue, there's a barricade and security guards but the stage is close enough to the crowd that i've managed to stage dive here, it's located about a block away from the triple rock, next to a biker bar and owned by the same people as the bar and other 'cowboy' bars around the cities, setup of this venue is very strange, you walk in and there's a giant bar that takes up the entire room, very hard to get around people if anyone is standing near it, then the whole venue is set up long width-wise instead of length-wise how normal places are, the stage is on the left with not that big of an area where the crowd normally is, then if you keep walking there's another bar and area that's not so packed, also a balcony you can go up on, there's a huge outside part behind the stage that's open for smokers and also hosts shows out there during the summer, if you squeeze into the crowd area shows can be fun, i also like to watch shows from the outside or just stepping inside which basically translates to side-stage at a normal venue, 21+ you're free to drink wherever in this place including bringing your drinks outside, also you can buy advance tickets with no fees at the biker bar next to it called 'the joint' if you're brave enough to enter, there's a parking lot they share with the bars that you can usually find a spot in

The Varsity Theater - capacity i'd guess around 800, basically located on the university of minnesota campus, was great when i went there and could walk to shows, parking can be tricky if you drive, most likely will have to pay and don't park at a meter without feeding it because you will get a ticket in this area, this place hosts all kinds of events from weddings to fashion shows, don't get too many shows i'm interested in anymore which is sad cause it's a really cool place, they renovated it a couple years back and it's gorgeous inside, there's candlelit tables around if they're not expecting a big turnout, lots of couches lining the walls and now a balcony area you can view shows from above, they used to not have a barricade but i think they do now, believe you can still get pretty close to the band if you want to, if you're 21+ the bar is always open and you're not constricted to an area with your alcohol, buy no fee tickets in advance at the loring pasta bar just around the block, and make sure you check out the bathrooms upstairs, so cool

First Avenue - 1500 capacity, barricade and security guards, iconic venue located downtown, main venue where the bigger tours roll through, all kinds of genres, i definitely prefer the more intimate venues but will make it to a show here at least once a year, large floor and a decent sized balcony area that both get packed for basically any time i've ever been here, can only drink upstairs during all-ages shows, it's downtown so i've always walked/biked/bussed here but i can imagine parking being a nightmare, also attached to it is....

7th Street Entry or "The Entry" - 250 capacity venue attached to First Ave, no barricade?, i've only been here twice, it's a cool place but they don't really pull the shows i'd go for, small and no where to move, there's a tiny bar at the back of it and you can drink whenever if you're 21+, maybe if i went a few more times it'd feel better but i always feel super awkward no matter where i'm standing in this place

Epic - 2400 capacity, barricade and security guards, very similar to first ave except sketchier, i find it hard to believe the caps are that different, but they're what i found online, located downtown, same big floor with upper balcony and booze only allowed upstairs during all ages shows, actually here you can't get upstairs if you're under 21, the upper level feels very 'club' like, lots of VIP/bottle service tables lining the edge of the balcony and there's 2-way mirrors so you can see into the bathrooms..., the floor is usually packed and people seem to go upstairs only to get a drink and then come back down when they're done (this is me going to ADTR, Chiodos, etc here) i can imagine it being much different for hip-hop shows or whatever, actually the upper part is always empty when i've been there so maybe that's where the 'extra 900 cap' comes from, have a LOT less shows than first ave, if you're debating booking between the two - choose first ave

Target Center - 18,600 capacity max for concerts, has different setups depending on the show, the huge arena venue in downtown minneapolis, i've only been here for a basketball game, gets the kind of stuff like bieber or country shows

The Beat Coffeehouse - 250 capacity, no stage, you basically need to get invited to a facebook event by a band or promoter to even know this place exists, which is a shame because i really like it, i do live a couple blocks away so that always helps, it's located in uptown which is actually just below downtown and a really cool neighborhood, it's an actual coffee house but they have a back room that's really good for shows, there's mostly local shows here and smaller touring packages (farewell fighter, kid liberty, pentimento, ivy league, therefore i am), don't drive unless you have to but if you must you'll have to search for street parking usually finding it a block or so away, i really wish they worked better on promoting their shows and getting tours because this is definitely a hidden gem and has turned into my second favorite place to catch a show in the cities, also there's no alcohol here which can be a deterrent for some

Hexagon Bar - 21+ with free shows on thursday, friday and saturday nights, more so a bar that has a stage in it than a venue, definitely a dive bar, local and smaller touring acts play here, i've gone mostly for a drink with friends and ended up watching a show than vise versa, buy your drinks from the bar in the same room as the stage as bands make money from those purchases only, additional room with a bigger bar and some pool tables, they have a parking lot, it's hard to bus here but i've done it, located in a kind of sketchy residential neighborhood

Memory Lanes - 21+ free shows at a bowling alley, mostly monday nights, they play right in front of the lanes, so strage the first time you go but pretty cool, mostly punk acts, lots of local stuff, located real close to the hexagon

St. Paul Venues

Station 4 - 650 capacity, barricade with security guards, huge polls down the middle of the venue with one right in front of the stage, this place unfortunately has been pulling the majority of shows i'm interested in lately, you think it'd grow on me after being there 100 or so times, but it hasn't, i just don't like it, you probably won't either, i have had fun at shows here but most could be more enjoyable for all parties at a different location, it's the mid-size venue that is needed but they book a ton of shows that sell less than 100 tickets and could easily be held at the triple rock or something (the dangerous summer does not need to be playing here but they continue to return and sadly nobody comes out), it's also a nightmare to get here since all shows start at 5/5:30pm which is when you'll get stuck in rush hour traffic and there's no way to get around it, i took the bus here a few times as a undergrad without a car and it takes an hour, they're also doing construction right in front of the venue right now so good luck driving and parking if you've never been there before, they also closed down the ramp where everyone used to park where they never charged you, just good luck, there's a big bar area on the left side that is for 21+ only and the only place you can drink during all ages shows, there's two window-type openings that are pretty solid places to watch from if you're lucky enough to grab a seat there, also they don't have air conditioning so good luck not passing out during the summer, overall it's my least favorite venue by far but they get the shows that keep me coming back, also you can buy tickets to upcoming shows at the bar with no fees

Xcel Energy Center - end stage 12,999 or center stage 20,554, St Paul's version of the Target Center, i've been here twice to see Blink-182 and can say i enjoyed both times, if i have to deal with a huge arena for a show, the xcel seems to do it right, tends to get more rock shows than the target center, also you're going to pay to park here but at least it's easy to find with various lots and ramps to choose from

Burnsville, MN

The Garage - venue/youth center located about 30 minutes south of the cities, i've personally avoided this place at all costs because i imagine it to be packed full of middle school aged girls, has local shows (mostly high school bands) and draws some pop-rock tours, again i've never been

There's a few additional smaller or less used venues I'll add on to this, but here's a pretty good start.
11:56 AM on 01/12/12 
User Info.
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
NY
Male
Thought I'd elaborate on mine and do what swimhockey did.
Webster Theater, Hartford, CT- 2 stages (main and underground.) Underground is one of my favorites. 300 people max, small, intimate, no barricade. Feels like a closet. Main is big. Was an old movie theater, so it's that size. 1250 max. More national bigger tours than local shows here. Sound on both stages is abnormally loud. Main has recently had Mayday, Skrillex, Panic at the Disco, DRUGS in a few weeks. Underground had The Bunny The Bear, Texas In July, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, local shows.

Toad's Place, New Haven, CT - One of the more famous venues in the USA. 800 person cap, barricade. Weird layout, venue is really long width wise, not a bad spot in the place. Be warned - floors are sticky, and you will leave the venue smelling like INSANELY stale beer and puke. Still love the venue. Great sound. Both local and national tours. AP Tour hits here every year, a few other shows (some rap [ mac miller, royce da 5'9], The Ready Set was just here as well) but has a ton of local shows.

Oakdale (and the Dome at Oakdale), Wallingford, CT - 2 venues, the Oakdale (actual theater) and the dome (they set up a stage in the lobby). Main theater is 5500 cap, Dome is probably 2500 - 3000 cap. Dome shows arent frequent but have shows such as All Time Low, Killswitch, Dropkicks. Main theater has the Honda Civic tour almost every year, 30 STM, etc. Both have great sound. Main stage is all seats with the first 15 rows of seats being able to be removed forming a pit. 2 Floors. Dome is GA.

The Space, Hamden, CT - My favorite. Well, I may be biased because I work here. But still. 2 floor venue. Bottom floor is the actual concert area. Downstairs has a cafe (makes KILLER sandwiches). Back half of the venue is all couches, front half is standing. 150 cap, but thats pushing it. No barricade. Stage is 3 to 4 inches off of the ground. SUPER intimate. Sound tends to be a little too loud. Can't crowdsurf here (you'll hit the ceiling.) Upstairs has a vintage thrift shop and arcade with vintage 80's and 90's games. Lots of local shows, some big national ones as well (Swellers were here in August, Breathe Carolina in November, Hit The Lights in November, Max Bemis last month)

Tuxedo Junction, Danbury, CT - Haven't been here yet, but it has 2 stages. Both have no Barricade. Relatively new. We Came As Romans, The Wonder Years, and Miss May I all recently played here.

Comcast Theater, Hartford, CT - Huge 25,000 seat indoor outdoor ampitheater. GA lawn area, seats, and can have a pit. Sound is awesome. Can't really see if you are on the lawn, but I always have the most fun on the lawn. Big shows - Nickelback, Warped, Mayhem, tons of country shows, Dave Matthews, etc.

Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT - 9200 seat arena. 2 levels (floor, balcony). Relatively small for an arena, not a truly bad seat in the house. Great sound. More national touring acts (Ke$ha, Van Halen, Dropkicks, everyone plays here). Can have GA floors.

MGM Grand @ Foxwoods, Ledyard, CT - Moderate venue. Probably 5-6000. 2 floors, sucks to be in the balcony. Very long venue, you could be very far away. Great sound. All seats. Some shows here have been The Script, Snoop Dogg, Demi Lovato, Lynard Skynard.

Heirloom Arts Theater, Danbury, CT 450 - 500 cap venue. Many local shows, the occasional (one or 2 a year) national shows. Very awkwardly high stage (like 5 feet high.) Sound is okay, kind of loud. Again, mainly locals, but The Wonder Years, Patent Pending, Valencia, and Set it Off have played here in the past.

aetna theater at wadsworth atheneum - has done/will be doing thurston moore, why?, colin stetson, ben kweller.

toad's place, lily's pad - upstairs at toads, 200 cap if you pack them in some indie and punk shows have happened here (titus andronicus, screaming females, cheap girls, transit)

the outer space, hamden, 60-70 cap lounge with national and local acts of all flavors, 21+

tuxedo junction really is not new. there's just been a renaissance. lots of bands played there back in the day (hawthorne heights, the flaming tsunamis, etc.)
04:04 PM on 01/12/12 
User Info.
davidsucks
suicide blonde
Corbin, KY
Male
Kentucky

Lexington, KY
Buster's Billiards & Backroom: Really intimate venue in Lexington, in the vicinity of the University of Kentucky campus. Mostly local shows but catching a bigger show here is pretty rare but it does happen from time to time, you've just gotta check their website a lot because they don't really do any promotion (1,000-1,200 capacity if I was guessing, I'm not 100% sure about it) www.bustersbb.com

Louisville, KY
Expo Five: Moderate-sized venue, it gets the bulk of all shows in Louisville now since most shows at Headliner's are 18+. Decent sound and it's pretty easy to get close to the stage if you don't mind forcing your way. The venue itself is really interesting and it has plenty of parking. (1,000-1,500 capacity depending on how big the show is) www.expofive.com

Headliner's Music Hall: Smaller venue in Louisville. In the last year or so they started doing mainly 18+ shows which really limited what they can grab but they still have some good all ages shows if you're not 18 (We The Kings/Mayday Parade Co-headliner is coming here). The venue has good sound, it's super easy to get to the front of the stage. The balcony usually has all of the merch and is super crowded. Parking is kind of limited near the venue but they do have a parking lot across the street. Fun tidbit: The last show I went to they let us enter/exit as many time as we wanted as long as we kept our tickets. (500-600 capacity) www.headlinerslouisville.com

Covington, KY (Basically Cincy)
Madison Theater: Moderate sized venue in Northern Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati. It gets just about any show that you could want that Bogart's doesn't grab. Nice sound and parking hasn't ever been an issue for me here. (1,000-1,200 capacity) http://www.madisontheateronline.com
09:48 AM on 01/13/12 
User Info.
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
Blacksburg, VA
Male - 21 Years Old
This has probably been said, but can this thread get stickied? It's really helpful.
12:05 PM on 01/13/12 
User Info.
ICBIMTS
No Avatar Selected
New England
Male
Rhode Island:

Firehouse 13: High stage, no barrier, the promoters usually allow re-entry. A lot of hardcore and pop punk bands play here. Located in East/Central Providence, Rhode Island.

Swag Pad: House Show venue. Bands like State Champs and Handguns play shows there, it's almost always pop punk bands. Located in Providence/Pawtucket.

The Met: Located in Pawtucket, RI. Really nice sound, larger, but intimate place with no barrier. All kinds of bands play here, from Transit and Maker to Vanna and Every Time I Die.

Lupos: Big theater, barrier, and really chill security. For a big venue, they usually are fine with moshing and crowdsurfing, and only really intervene if someone is hurt or if there is a fight. I've seen a lot of good bands here, ranging from Silverstein and The Used to Taking Back Sunday and Circa Survive.

Providence Social Club: Central Providence, near PPAC. An upstairs venue with no barrier, smaller (but similar in structure) to The Met.

Unfortunately, RI has seen a lot of awesome venues close down over the years, such as The Living Room (which was a shithole, but it was OUR shithole), Club Hell (once again, same deal as The Living Room), and recently The Ruins, which was a really sweet club with awesome lights and sound and a really friendly personnel, but they were making more money doing dance nights and decided to stop doing shows.
12:51 PM on 01/13/12 
User Info.
nakulisbrown
Here are all the major Philadelphia venues I can think of off the top of my head from biggest to smallest:

Penn's Landing Festival Pier: Huge outdoor 8k person general admission space on a pier. Huge acts like rise against, deadmau5 etc. Friendly security, bleachers in the back for parents/injured kids, big ol' asphalt floor. I almost died here during Rancid. Awful sound, but what can you do, it's outside.

Electric Factory: 2-3k people, big stage and long rectangular general admission space. Maybe the most popular "rock" venue in Philly - never any bad experiences, but I prefer smaller venues. Large 21+ balcony area. New Found Glory, Valencia's final show, Motion City Soundtrack, Alkaline Trio, etc.

Starlight Ballroom: 1200 people. Very low stage but still a lot of space. Not a huge fan, as the floor is spread out to the left and right of the stage rather than further back. Rather poor layout. I think this place has more electronic acts now than rock. No barricade, but there is security who seemed to be having quite some difficulty with surfers at Wonder Years once.

The Trocadero: 1200 people. Old Burlesque theatre, awesome vibe lots of good smallerish tours (Thrice, Saves the Day, Four Year Strong). High stage and plenty of room but still feels intimate, great place. Large 21+ balcony area with lots of seating and a 250 cap sidestage for small/ local shows, which are plenty fun.

The Theatre of Living Arts: 1000 people. Never been, but seems to be on par with or slightly lower than the Troc/Electric Factory as far as popularity. Troc-sized, I believe, and LiveNation-run. urgh

Union Transfer: 1000 people. R5 productions (awesome indie promoter)'s new venue, basically Electric Factory-sized and shaped. Lower capacity affords a lot of breathing room. High ceilings and a really cool vibe (Dave from Fireworks described it accurately as Hogwarts). There is security, but no barricade, and they let you stage dive all night. I see this place getting very popular

First Unitarian Church: 600 people. The mystical holy grail of Philadelphia venues. Run by the great R5, it's a Church basement with a tiny stage and floor (which is always seems more like 800 because you can sneak into this place easy as hell). No security besides maybe one dude who'll grab you if you're toooo wasted. Stage dive your ass off/bring 40s/die of heat stroke in the summer shows, and have a shit ton of fun the whole time. Fireworks, Title Fight, lots of hardcore bands, rap here and there. A must-see.

The Barbary: 200 people. I've only seen Strike Anywhere here, but this is definitely the tiniest space I've seen a "known" act. Smaller than even the church, it's a dark, dingy hall with a tiny stage and a little hallway for merch tables. Also R5 run, and damn fun if you're into the band - push up front and the singer will be literally on top of you the whole time. Can scarcely crowd surf without hitting the ceiling.
05:07 PM on 01/13/12 
User Info.
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
Iowa City, IA
Male - 30 Years Old
Iowa:

Quad Cities - RIBCO - www.ribco.com

Iowa City:

Gabe's Oasis - www.icgabes.com - smallish venue, holds a lot of local bullshit. Used to attract bands like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins on their way up, but has fallen due to mismanagement.

Yacht Club - www.iowacityyachtclub.org - Lots of cover bands, lots of hippies, lots of drugs done in the stairwell

Blue Moose Taphouse - www.bluemooseic.com - Tied for best venue in town. Great sound system, great beer selection, has the Gabe's booker that made it great. Gets shows like Against Me!, Every Time I Die, Pop Punk's Not Dead, Hold Steady, and so forth. Great place to see big bands play in a smaller venue.

The Mill - www.icmill.com - Tied for best venue in town. Probably should be thought of as the "Hipster" venue, but great atmosphere, stage about 8 inches off the stage, and booths everywhere. Can thrash around and get knocked over by fat people like I did during Cursive and The Thermals, or you can chill out and get hammered to bands like Craig Finn (solo), William Fitzsimmons, and the like. The wings are good, too. Playing here should be the aim of every local band.

Iowa Memorial Union Main Lounge - scope.uiowa.edu- Great place to see a show, only 1000+ GA venue in town. Hampered by the fact that it's a dry campus. Recent shows include Wilco, Janelle Monae, All Time Low, Decemberists. Getting Childish Gambino and the Avett Brothers in the spring.

Des Moines

Val Air Ballroom - www.valairballroom.com - 2000+ venue, gets lots of buttrock, but also gets stuff like Dropkick Murphys and Modest Mouse.

People's Court - www.peoplesdm.com - Big, 1000ish venue that gets the bigger bands like Against Me!, Gogol Bordello, and so forth.

Vaudeville Mews - www.vaudevillemews.com - Very Small. Gets a surprising amount of metal bands.

House of Bricks - www.houseofbricks.net - Used to get a ton of the up and coming scene bands, but not so much anymore.

Ames:

The Maintenance Shop: ? - Not much known. I saw Say Anything here once after IARB came out, and that was it.

Might be missing some, but there's where I've gone. Also, when I say "Small" and "Big", I mean by Iowan standards. Seeing bands like NFG in a place like the Blue Moose is unheard of considering they place Houses of Blues (2-3k). It's maybe 5-7 hundred in the main room?
08:09 AM on 01/14/12 
User Info.
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
Raleigh, NC
Male - 29 Years Old
North Carolina

Amos Southend - Charlotte, NC - http://amossouthend.com/

Tredmont Music Hall - Charlotte, NC - http://www.tremontmusichall.com/upcoming.html

Lincoln Theatre - Raleigh, NC - http://lincolntheatre.com/

Volume 11 - Raleigh, NC - http://www.volume11tavern.com/

The Orange Peel - Asheville, NC - http://theorangepeel.net/

Greene Street Club - Greensboro, NC - http://www.greenestreetclub.com/

Johnny and Junes - Winston Salem, NC - http://johnnynjunes.com/

Legitamate Business - Greensboro. NC - http://www.lgtbiz.com/

Time Warner Cable Music Pavillion - Raleigh, NC - http://www.livenation.com/time-warne...on-at-walnut-c
reek-tickets-raleigh/venue/114763

Time Warner Cable Arena - Charlotte, NC 0 http://www.timewarnercablearena.com/

My favorite are Greene Street club, Amos and the Lincoln.

The Soapbox - Wilmington, NC - http://www.soapboxlaundrolounge.com/

Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC - http://catscradle.com/

Local 506 - Chapel Hill, NC - http://www.local506.com/

The Tipsy Teapot - Greenville, NC - http://www.tipsy-teapot.com/site/events
08:55 AM on 01/14/12 
User Info.
iloveaildsomuch
The Soapbox - Wilmington, NC - http://www.soapboxlaundrolounge.com/

Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC - http://catscradle.com/

Local 506 - Chapel Hill, NC - http://www.local506.com/

The Tipsy Teapot - Greenville, NC - http://www.tipsy-teapot.com/site/events

Added them, thanks.
09:03 AM on 01/14/12 
User Info.
fbrrocks
Registered Member
Thought I'd elaborate on mine and do what swimhockey did.
Webster Theater, Hartford, CT- 2 stages (main and underground.) Underground is one of my favorites. 300 people max, small, intimate, no barricade. Feels like a closet. Main is big. Was an old movie theater, so it's that size. 1250 max. More national bigger tours than local shows here. Sound on both stages is abnormally loud. Main has recently had Mayday, Skrillex, Panic at the Disco, DRUGS in a few weeks. Underground had The Bunny The Bear, Texas In July, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, local shows.

Toad's Place, New Haven, CT - One of the more famous venues in the USA. 800 person cap, barricade. Weird layout, venue is really long width wise, not a bad spot in the place. Be warned - floors are sticky, and you will leave the venue smelling like INSANELY stale beer and puke. Still love the venue. Great sound. Both local and national tours. AP Tour hits here every year, a few other shows (some rap [ mac miller, royce da 5'9], The Ready Set was just here as well) but has a ton of local shows.

Oakdale (and the Dome at Oakdale), Wallingford, CT - 2 venues, the Oakdale (actual theater) and the dome (they set up a stage in the lobby). Main theater is 5500 cap, Dome is probably 2500 - 3000 cap. Dome shows arent frequent but have shows such as All Time Low, Killswitch, Dropkicks. Main theater has the Honda Civic tour almost every year, 30 STM, etc. Both have great sound. Main stage is all seats with the first 15 rows of seats being able to be removed forming a pit. 2 Floors. Dome is GA.

The Space, Hamden, CT - My favorite. Well, I may be biased because I work here. But still. 2 floor venue. Bottom floor is the actual concert area. Downstairs has a cafe (makes KILLER sandwiches). Back half of the venue is all couches, front half is standing. 150 cap, but thats pushing it. No barricade. Stage is 3 to 4 inches off of the ground. SUPER intimate. Sound tends to be a little too loud. Can't crowdsurf here (you'll hit the ceiling.) Upstairs has a vintage thrift shop and arcade with vintage 80's and 90's games. Lots of local shows, some big national ones as well (Swellers were here in August, Breathe Carolina in November, Hit The Lights in November, Max Bemis last month)

Tuxedo Junction, Danbury, CT - Haven't been here yet, but it has 2 stages. Both have no Barricade. Relatively new. We Came As Romans, The Wonder Years, and Miss May I all recently played here.

Comcast Theater, Hartford, CT - Huge 25,000 seat indoor outdoor ampitheater. GA lawn area, seats, and can have a pit. Sound is awesome. Can't really see if you are on the lawn, but I always have the most fun on the lawn. Big shows - Nickelback, Warped, Mayhem, tons of country shows, Dave Matthews, etc.

Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT - 9200 seat arena. 2 levels (floor, balcony). Relatively small for an arena, not a truly bad seat in the house. Great sound. More national touring acts (Ke$ha, Van Halen, Dropkicks, everyone plays here). Can have GA floors.

MGM Grand @ Foxwoods, Ledyard, CT - Moderate venue. Probably 5-6000. 2 floors, sucks to be in the balcony. Very long venue, you could be very far away. Great sound. All seats. Some shows here have been The Script, Snoop Dogg, Demi Lovato, Lynard Skynard.

Heirloom Arts Theater, Danbury, CT 450 - 500 cap venue. Many local shows, the occasional (one or 2 a year) national shows. Very awkwardly high stage (like 5 feet high.) Sound is okay, kind of loud. Again, mainly locals, but The Wonder Years, Patent Pending, Valencia, and Set it Off have played here in the past.

you forgot the wolf den at mohenan sun and The Webster Bank Arena (formerly The Arena at Harbor Yard) in Bridgeport where fob, panic, and others have played
edit there is also The Ridgefield Playhouse and the palace theater in waterbury ct
05:17 PM on 01/14/12 
User Info.
rtmconcerts
Concert Filmer in Northern Illinois
Rock Falls, IL
Male - 32 Years Old
Chicago/Northern Illinois Suburbs

Bottom Lounge - 700 Capacity, No Barricade, Has been attracting many national tours recently, location downtown is just ok, kinda shady in the surrounding areas, usually attracts very energetic and fun crowds I would recommend it for a show, also the merch area is the worst i have even encountered Upcoming Shows - The Cab/The Summer Set, The Wonder Years (PERFECT for them), Every Avenue/WATIC, Sleeping With Sirens

Mojoes - 1100 Capacity, No Barricade, Very new venue (relocation of older venue), starting to attract more tours than the venues downtown (located in the suburb of Joliet btw), easy to get to with free parking, downtown joliet is pretty harmless, occasionally a few less than reputable characters but other than that ok, venue is nice inside with a large bar in the back with tvs with sports on if you want to escape shitty bands, crowds are hit or miss in terms of energy, i do enjoy it though, merch area is decent can get conjested Upcoming Shows - Falling In Reverse, The Dangerous Summer, Mayday Parade, For Today, ISMFOF, WCAR

Penny Road Pub - 150 Capacity Upstairs w/ barricade, probably similar downstaris w/ no barricade (stage is like 1 foot off the ground lol) I have only been here once for an all day fest, not a fan, security would step in any time any type of energy started and its in the middle of nowhere in the northern suburbs (barrington), more people go for the bar than the music probably, merch was all over the place so i dont know how it is normally run Upcoming Shows - Dr Acula/Design The Skyline (hahahahahahaha)

House of Blues - 1300 Capacity, Barricade, Always a popular venue for bigger tours to go to, hasnt been getting many tours recently but always has a few that would interest this site, sound is pretty good, gets a lot of hate but im ok with it because the crowds are usually good, its in a great location downtown it was also the first venue i went to so its hold a special place for me, can get kinda crammed (ADTR on Toursick was so tightly packed), merch area is pretty awful, gets very congested, Upcoming Shows - D.R.U.G.S., Jacks Mannequin, August Burns Red, Hot Chelle Rae

First Midwest Bank Ampitheatre - 28000 Capacity, I think its obvious, The big one, all the huge national tours come here in the summer,ive been there for any type of set up (festival, just a show etc) Its just ok as a venue, the sound there is pretty bad and security are usually a bunch of idiots who dont know how to run a venue, merch is crammed into 2 spots but its not too bad, easily accessible in the suburbs (Tinley Park) but traffic can get awful if you decide to show up close to showtime, would prefer a better large venue, but its what we got Upcoming Shows - Warped Tour, Mayhem Fest, country stuff probably

Aragon Ballroom - 4500 capacity, Barricade, one of two large dedicated concert venues downtown, attracts the big tours, location is decent the L is right next to it so not a bad commute and shows get out early so trains are accessible, merch has a dedicated area and is pretty well run so no complaints there, such a huge place with a lot of room to roam around, sound is decent i usually enjoy the shows there so i would recommend it Upcoming Shows - Megadeth, Snow Patrol

Congress Theater - 4500 capacity, barricade, the other of the aforementioned venues, public trans is very close to the venue but its location is pretty shady, and i had a very scary moment after the gamechangers tour (short ver:almost missed final train of night with dead cell phone) so im not a fan, another big venue with also just decent sound like aragon, the merch was a mess when i was there, its ok but id take aragon over it anyday Upcoming Shows - Foster The People

Reggie's Rock CLub - 400 Capacity, no barricade, terrible, terrible location (shady as fuck), terrible sound, terrible place to see shows, luckily i have only been there once, merch is terrible, really not much positive things to say about the place, doesnt attract many tours anywway Upcoming Shows - Chiddy Bang, Anti-Flag

Charter One Pavillion - 8000 capacity, barricade, my favorite outdoor venue that i have been too, unfortunately does not host many tours that myself or this website would want to go to, great sound cool location on the shore but not ideal if you want to take public trans, merch is set up ok can get congested, a lot of space to walk around and chill, but overall just a great venue that i really enjoyed the couple times i have been there, shows only take place in the summer and none have been announced

Riviera Theatre - 2300 capacity, barricade, decent place, located a block away from aragon ballroom, not a fan of the set up inside, the places where you stand are in like 3 sections, merch wasnt very well run, sound was just ok, not a very popular venue Upcoming Shows - Childish Gambino

The Vic - 1300 capacity, never been there, good location i hear Upcoming Shows - fun.

Metro - 1150 capacity, surprisingly never been there, also good location down the street from Wrigley field Upcoming Shows - The Darkness, Lucero

Beat Kitchen - 250 capacity, never been there, really no clue on anything about it, Upcoming Shows - You Me At Six/The Swellers, Cassadee Pope Solo, Man Overboard

Other Venues I have been to

The Rave - Hands down the best venue i have ever been to, Located in Milwaukee,WI and conviently located right down the street from Marquette University where i currently reside, some of the surrounding area is shady but if you stay on wisconsin ave you will be fine, parking is ok if you are form out of town, now inside is intresting, there is 5 stages, yes 5 well 2 are side stages but who cares, 5 stages in one indoor venue, you could pull off a warped tour in there (just kidding), but there are 3 levels the lowest is a roughly 700-1000 capcity intimate venue with a barricade, it is a huge room and the merch is far from the stage so easily run, decent sound but not the best room to see a show, the middle level is probably the best room known as the rave and is 1700 capacity with a barricade, solid sound with a balcony and good merch area, going to shows in this room are always good times, the top level known as the eagles ballroom is a 3500 capacity room with a barricade that attracts the largest tours to Wisconsin, sound is not too good, im cool with going to a show in there but i would prefer the rave, its very big with individual balconys, merch is on the lower floor so it is very well run. My only complaints are the security can occasionally be assholes, but dont make a fuss too much, the milwaukee music scene is pretty weak you really got to make it special for yourself if you want it to be a memorable show sometime, and lastly tours just dont come here that much, we get all the shitty djs and not enough pop punk or metal tours, but overall it is a great venue, there is a reason it was voted the 2011 Alt Press Venue of the year Upcoming Tours - In Flames, Machine Head, Jacks Mannequin, The Cab, Attack Attack!, Megadeth, Mindless Self Indulgence, ISMFOF, Hot Chelle Rae

Marcus Ampitheater - I'll keep it short, I was there for summer fest, really crowded, tons of stages all with bleachers so no moshing really, and if you want a seat you gotta get there really early, not a fan, cool place to chill though

Well there ya have it my take on the venues in chicago/suburbs and other venues i have been too, there are more, but i tried to keep it to venues that attract national acts. Feel free to ask more questions or if you are from here comments on these places

Awesome job David, I was going to do Chicago but you did a more thorough job than I ever could have done. Anyhow, I'm going to go ahead and add some more venues for various places that I've personally been to in my filming adventures lol - but that will come later tonight.

By the way, this thread is a brilliant idea. I'm going to be stuck in the northern Wisconsin/Green Bay area for about a month so I'm hoping that we might have a member that can post the venues up there so I might be able to sneak a show or two in up there!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos