06:46 PM on 08/24/07 
User Info.
preppyak
Jeff Withey: the Great White Hope
Falls Church, VA
Male - 28 Years Old
Communication

The career paths are endless.
Broadcasting/Electronic Media. Is there any kind of conversation in this thread or just random people stating their majors?
Communications/Film basically for me. What do you guys plan on doing with your majors? I imagine with broadcast/electronic media you want to do something in the realm of news/TV

Can someone explain to me about Majors and Minors? How many can you have? When do you decide which ones you're gonna have? (Please explain thoroughly, since I'm thinking of moving to the US) :)
It depends on your school really, but we'll assume a more normal school here (liberal arts schools are different).

Many students have one major, and either one or two minors. What that means is you have one primary focus (Communications, Biology, English, etc), and you will take probably about half of all of your classes in college within that field at least. A minor is a sort of secondary focus, usually in a somewhat related field (Business people might take a language so they can do international business, a journalism major might take political science to cover politics, etc). You'll take fewer classes in it than your major, but, often it is to supplement and refine your major. For example, a communications major is incredibly broad, so, many kids at my school minor in something that applies more to their future career thoughts (if they want to go into marketing, they might minor in economics or art, etc.) Some people will also double major, for example I have friends that are Language and Business double-majors (my roomate is Spanish/Business) specifically so they graduate with an International Finance major. Other friends who are Biology/Chemistry double majors so that they look like superb students to med schools. Its less common, but some people do it.

So, Major = primary focus, minor(s) = secondary focus. Then likely you'll also take a few classes that are unrelated to both, they'll count towards graduation, but not towards your major/minor.

This of course is at some schools, not all. My school is a liberal arts school, so its different. They break the spectrum of knowledge into three parts (Humanities, Social Science, Life Science), and I am required to major in one spectrum (Humanities = Communications/Film), minor in another (Social Science = Political Science), and take a few courses in the third spectrum (Life Science = Physics, Environmental Science). At private schools, that is sometimes a more common approach, but again, it varies by school. Some schools you can only take classes in your major basically, some schools you have to take a wide range, the best way to find out is decide what you want to major in, find schools that are good at it, and then decide what approach is best for you. If you are good in high school and feel you have a wide base of knowledge, a liberal arts education is great for your future, but, if you are really good at math, but terrible elsewhere, you may struggle in that kind of system

/novel

Often you aren't required to decide majors/minors until the 2nd or 3rd year usually (mine was start of 3rd year)
06:52 PM on 08/24/07 
User Info.
Westfall
Lovesong Writer
Lexington, KY
Male - 24 Years Old
I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, though I may swap over to Electrical Engineering if I don't like the Computer Science classes, or if I love the CS courses then I'll just swap to CS.
08:20 PM on 08/24/07 
User Info.
TxRepresent
CCCP
Austin, Tx
Male - 27 Years Old
I dont know if I've posted in this. But mine is Political Science.
09:31 PM on 08/24/07 
User Info.
Rearviewmirror
No Avatar Selected
Sweden
Male
Communications/Film basically for me. What do you guys plan on doing with your majors? I imagine with broadcast/electronic media you want to do something in the realm of news/TV

It depends on your school really, but we'll assume a more normal school here (liberal arts schools are different).

Many students have one major, and either one or two minors. What that means is you have one primary focus (Communications, Biology, English, etc), and you will take probably about half of all of your classes in college within that field at least. A minor is a sort of secondary focus, usually in a somewhat related field (Business people might take a language so they can do international business, a journalism major might take political science to cover politics, etc). You'll take fewer classes in it than your major, but, often it is to supplement and refine your major. For example, a communications major is incredibly broad, so, many kids at my school minor in something that applies more to their future career thoughts (if they want to go into marketing, they might minor in economics or art, etc.) Some people will also double major, for example I have friends that are Language and Business double-majors (my roomate is Spanish/Business) specifically so they graduate with an International Finance major. Other friends who are Biology/Chemistry double majors so that they look like superb students to med schools. Its less common, but some people do it.

So, Major = primary focus, minor(s) = secondary focus. Then likely you'll also take a few classes that are unrelated to both, they'll count towards graduation, but not towards your major/minor.

This of course is at some schools, not all. My school is a liberal arts school, so its different. They break the spectrum of knowledge into three parts (Humanities, Social Science, Life Science), and I am required to major in one spectrum (Humanities = Communications/Film), minor in another (Social Science = Political Science), and take a few courses in the third spectrum (Life Science = Physics, Environmental Science). At private schools, that is sometimes a more common approach, but again, it varies by school. Some schools you can only take classes in your major basically, some schools you have to take a wide range, the best way to find out is decide what you want to major in, find schools that are good at it, and then decide what approach is best for you. If you are good in high school and feel you have a wide base of knowledge, a liberal arts education is great for your future, but, if you are really good at math, but terrible elsewhere, you may struggle in that kind of system

/novel

Often you aren't required to decide majors/minors until the 2nd or 3rd year usually (mine was start of 3rd year)

Thank for the thuril information. It clarifies many things for me. :)
09:57 AM on 08/29/07 
User Info.
vanity plates
No Avatar Selected
Red Bank, New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
History Education (Social Studies 6 - 12)
10:44 AM on 08/29/07 
User Info.
AEast317
x x x
Indianapolis, IN
Male - 26 Years Old
informatics with a double minor in business and spanish
12:23 PM on 08/29/07 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
was majoring in aeronautical science (i.e. professional pilot) with a minor in business, but now I'm looking to change (I think).
01:12 PM on 08/29/07 
User Info.
yeknom
CEO/Webmaster
rockton, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
awesomeness.
10:01 PM on 08/29/07 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
Is that tough?
09:24 AM on 09/01/07 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
uhm

pharmacology, do it
09:29 AM on 09/01/07 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Masturbation and Apathy.

Minoring in Wishful Thinking.
07:58 AM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
Bumping this shit.

My major is Service Management and I am also working for a minor in Human Resource Management.
08:22 AM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
Enolase
Biochem (unless I get accepted into dental school before I get the degree)
08:57 AM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
Ilovetheunknown
Rockland County, NY...
Female - 23 Years Old
Photography.
09:38 AM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
xfantabulousx
Title and Registration
Computer Science, and I'm potentially minoring in Psychology, Political Science, or Mathematics (one of them, not all of them).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets