AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

I Am the Avalanche News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Wednesday Spotlight: I Am The Avalanche

Posted by - 06:30 PM on 01/18/12
With all of the commotion going on around the website the past few hours, I wasn't sure I'd have time to sit down and finish writing my Wednesday Spotlight feature today. However, if there's one thing good music will do, it's focus my mind on the task at hand. Today I want to make sure everyone knows about I Am The Avalanche. They've got a brand of rock that rolls in with a chip on its shoulder. A swagger that says there's no need to hide behind studio trickery or over glossy production. I like that. It's exactly what I'm interested in at the moment.

After the split of The Movielife we saw the release of the band's self-titled album. That was in 2005. It wasn't until last year that we got the follow-up album in Avalanche United, in my opinion, the band's best work to date. Good news though: fans that got anxious waiting all those years between albums - won't have to wait as long for the next one. I recently asked the band's lead singer, Vinnie, what the band had planned for the rest of the year and learned that after touring the world, the band will hopefully be heading back into the studio to record some more music.

QuoteWhat's up next, let's see. We head to Europe to do a week of headline shows in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. From there we go to the UK to support Brand New. From there we fly to Australia for two weeks of Soundwave Festival, including a few side shows with Four Year Strong. Then we fly home from there and do some headlining around parts of the US, which we'll be announcing more details about very soon. From there we fly to Europe to do 3 festivals including Groezrock and a few club shows. After that, nothing's been officially announced yet but there will be more shows in the US and then back to Europe for more festivals. We'll be on tour all year but we'll definitely break in the winter to record the new album.

Now, while finding out new music is on the way is great ... it's the band's recent album that I want to highlight and make sure everyone has checked out.

When talking to Vinnie, I was curious what his take was on the fan reaction to an album many were worried may never see the light of day. I mean, I see kids talking about the band in our forums, and it's always appeared very well received - but it's always interesting to me to see what the bands themselves see. Turns out, Vinnie sees it too. He says, "‪The reaction is actually exactly how I envisioned it being. People love it and it's becoming a part of their life. That's what personal records do when they are made with integrity. Some people seem shocked that they love it as well. I understand it's a lot different than our debut; they have two entirely different vibes.The vibe on Avalanche United will carry on into our next album, but that album will have even more substance and attention to detail. Mike Ireland and I both have some great ideas and our confidence level as songwriters is at an all-time high. I finished a song yesterday as I was driving by the cold gray beach and it made my eyes well up."

So, if you haven't given this album a spin yet ... today's the day to do it. And if you're already a fan, get your friends in on the secret.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
06:30 PM on 01/18/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

Also on: Facebook, Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon.
06:31 PM on 01/18/12
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
Holy Fuck is just a rompin', stompin' good time.
06:35 PM on 01/18/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Vinnie is one of my favorite lyricist ever, in any genre of music.

I've always looked up to him. I've enjoyed and had great memories to all the albums he's been a part of. Just stopping in to say thanks. What a great dude.
06:36 PM on 01/18/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
The new album is seriously so great. Sad it got overlooked and under-appreciated. I think it's way better than the bands that The Movielife influenced such as Fireworks and The Wonder Years, but I guess a few years away from the spotlight kinda hurt IATA
06:40 PM on 01/18/12
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like Avalanche United more than anything Vinnie's ever done. album rules
06:40 PM on 01/18/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

Another way to hear a song. No excuses!
06:42 PM on 01/18/12
amlandry
User Info.
Definitely one of my favorite albums from last year.
06:43 PM on 01/18/12
MikeAL4W
User Info.
IATA tingles my nutties.
06:45 PM on 01/18/12
texan4lif281
User Info.
Great album all the way through
06:45 PM on 01/18/12
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Fucking love this band/album.
06:46 PM on 01/18/12
blowmybutthole
User Info.
IATA tingles my nutties.
Oh alright, so it IS a common thing that happens to other people!
06:48 PM on 01/18/12
skatrumpet
I'm not cool anymore.
User Info.
this album balls so hard motherfuckas wanna fine it.
06:49 PM on 01/18/12
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
Record Kills. So good.
06:49 PM on 01/18/12
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
The Movielife > IATA

Live, and on album. I've seen them each more than five times, from 1000+ venues to tiny spots that hold a few hundred.

That being said and out of the way, IATA is really good live, and their albums are pretty good too. I particularly like the moments when they drop the Ramones-styled cheesey punk-pop bits ("Brooklyn Dodgers") and go more in your face.

They definitely came closer to "finding their sound" in 2011 (it only took six years!), but I have a feeling the next time they get in the studio that they'll really put out the great record they're capable of.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos