Staff Member
hilarious really
04:29 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Bill James can suck a dick, I'll be very surprised if Marcum's ERA is over 4 this year.

and I know you didn't say it was a lock, you said it would be easier for them, which I called out as bullshit, you don't lose your best player and then it becomes easier to win a division, don't change the initial meaning of your original post.

If Gamel has a fWAR of at least 1.7 this year and Aramis Ramirez and Alex Gonzalez replicate their fWAR from 2011, that'll be greater than the combined fWAR of Prince, McGehee, and Betancourt. I'm not worried about the Brewers just as you aren't worried about the Cardinals, which is fine, no one was saying they should be concerned, but no one else is going around saying bullshit statements that it's gonna be "easier" to win the division.

My bad. I can be wrong. I trust Bill James, though, haha. What I should have said was that I feel better about our chances now than I did this time last year.
04:29 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Bob Gibson in the 67 World Series should put him at the top alone. And then 1968.
04:30 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
Cotati, CA
Male - 27 Years Old
I want to start a Kickstarter for some kind of punching bag for Drew for the upcoming Brewers season.
04:30 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'd put Gibson, OZZIE SMITH, Musial, Hornsby, and Dizzy Dean all ahead of Pujols...

EDIT: I'd put Mark McGwire there, too, but most people wouldn't.
uh
04:32 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
I give Musial and Gibson the edge because they continued their greatness with the Cardinals for longer (22 and 17 seasons, respectively). Never realized Hornsby only spent 10 there. I can see someone putting Pujols ahead of him, I guess.

For this purpose - who was the greatest player in the team's history - I'm more interested in a rate approach (over an extended period), by which Pujols appears to lead, but yet by so little that I'd fault no one in picking any of the three.

If we switch out "greatest" for like "most legendary," or identifiable," I'd definitely put Musical on a tier of his own, don't know where I'd head from there though.
04:32 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
might as well pull a Brandon Allin and throw Eckstein in there. MVP MVP MVP MVP
04:33 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
The People's Champion
South Philly
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah, Musial and Gibson are ahead of Pujols in my book.
04:34 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
sorry guys, I ranked Pujols 2nd instead of 3rd, didn't mean for it to become a page long debate haha
04:34 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
Tsuyoshi Shinjo...top five Mets player of all time.
04:37 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
Bill James can suck a dick, I'll be very surprised if Marcum's ERA is over 4 this year.

and I know you didn't say it was a lock, you said it would be easier for them, which I called out as bullshit, you don't lose your best player and then it becomes easier to win a division, don't change the initial meaning of your original post.

If Gamel has a fWAR of at least 1.7 this year and Aramis Ramirez and Alex Gonzalez replicate their fWAR from 2011, that'll be greater than the combined fWAR of Prince, McGehee, and Betancourt. I'm not worried about the Brewers just as you aren't worried about the Cardinals, which is fine, no one was saying they should be concerned, but no one else is going around saying bullshit statements that it's gonna be "easier" to win the division.

If we're dipping into WAR, treating it as a mathematical exercise, we have to acknowledge that the Cardinals finished 2 pythag wins behind MIL. Not 6 as the actual standings dictated. And then go through the full exercise of giving the Cardinals the projected WARs of Furcal, Beltran, Wainwright, not treat it as just a Pujols loss.
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
might as well pull a Brandon Allin and throw Eckstein in there. MVP MVP MVP MVP

I don't know what Brandon Allin has to do with it, but that guy sucks. Haha. I did love Eckstein when he was here, though. Not worth a mention, which, again, is why I'm confused at the joke I'm not getting haha.
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
Tsuyoshi Shinjo...top five Mets player of all time.

throw benny agbayani in there too
04:38 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
sorry guys, I ranked Pujols 2nd instead of 3rd, didn't mean for it to become a page long debate haha

I'm ok with Pujols being 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Was actually correcting Evan's statement that Pujuls was "definitely" not 2nd best. Implying he wasn't in the conversation.
04:39 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
also really weird moment on the Brewers blog I visit (brewcrewball.com) someone posted a link to the DrewBTweets twitter account and I had to tell them that it was twitter mocking me haha, they don't know that I write for AP. http://www.brewcrewball.com/2012/2/2...y-mug#92848759

super weird

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version