AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

05:03 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
I'd like to see Damon or Matsui, as I like them both. I never quite got over losing Matsui directly following his World Series MVP win. But, not sure either is necessarily the best choice. I think I saw Vlad Guerrero and Bill Hall's name in the mix recently too. Either way, Yankees still don't have a DH selected. Part of me is hoping Chris Dickerson makes the opening day lineup and then they could count on Andruw Jones to DH primarily and have Dickerson around to play outfield, but there's no way that'll happen.

Check Matsui's numbers since he left; you'll get over it.
05:06 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
Eich696
JACCPOT
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Raul Ibanez at the Sixers/Lakers.

Loved Raul, but he wasn't very good after the first half of 09.
05:24 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Bench spots aren't going to be occupied by awesome players. They're bench players for a reason.

They were awful off the bench with bats last year, in theory Thome should improve that. God knows whether that really happens or not. They got enough other guys that can play the field semi-effectively to use a spot on a big bat like Thome.
05:30 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Bench spots aren't going to be occupied by awesome players. They're bench players for a reason.

They were awful off the bench with bats last year, in theory Thome should improve that. God knows whether that really happens or not. They got enough other guys that can play the field semi-effectively to use a spot on a big bat like Thome.

But it's not like he's in the AL where he'll be getting consistent PT as part of a DH platoon. He's a great talent at the plate, obviously, but he won't be at 100% efficacy if he's just pinch hitting, even if it is once a game. Sure, he'd probably give a fair amount of value back if he played first, but he'd also be contributing a lot more offensively if he were in the every day lineup.
05:33 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
Portage, Michigan
Male - 27 Years Old
Hideki Matsui has had a 125, 123 and 93 wRC+ in his last three years with the Yankees, the Angels and the A's. I wouldn't say he's done or not worthy of platooning or something. I don't buy that he's completely done.
05:35 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Hideki Matsui has had a 125, 123 and 93 wRC+ in his last three years with the Yankees, the Angels and the A's. I wouldn't say he's done or not worthy of platooning or something. I don't buy that he's completely done.

No idea why I thought '10 was so much worse than a 123 wRC+.
05:35 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
DooDooBird
Yes! These uniforms!

Nice bat placement there, Chipper.
05:42 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
Portage, Michigan
Male - 27 Years Old
If you moved Brian McCann's thighs to his arms, he'd look like Dan Uggla's twin brother.
05:58 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
But it's not like he's in the AL where he'll be getting consistent PT as part of a DH platoon. He's a great talent at the plate, obviously, but he won't be at 100% efficacy if he's just pinch hitting, even if it is once a game. Sure, he'd probably give a fair amount of value back if he played first, but he'd also be contributing a lot more offensively if he were in the every day lineup.

Oh, of course. But I'll take the upside of his once a game contributions over the slop they had last year pinch hitting for them. I think they actually did a real good job on the bench this offseason, got a lot of roll players that will probably contribute more then the likes of Pete Orr or Ross Gload
05:58 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
If you moved Brian McCann's thighs to his arms, he'd look like Dan Uggla's twin brother.

I don't know why, but this made me lmao
06:01 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Oh, of course. But I'll take the upside of his once a game contributions over the slop they had last year pinch hitting for them. I think they actually did a real good job on the bench this offseason, got a lot of roll players that will probably contribute more then the likes of Pete Orr or Ross Gload

Yeah, he's better, but in such a limited role, his upside is severely limited.
06:06 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a late inning replacement in games when the Phillies need offense too...I can't see his back handling entire games, but 2-3 innings at the end of a game that they're trailing by 1 or 2 runs, and Wiggington or Nix have gone 0fer? I can see it happening, if he pushes Uncle Cholly to let him.
06:42 PM on 02/06/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Forgot to add Ian Kennedy to the list of players I love to watch; I'll always have a soft spot for him.
05:44 AM on 02/07/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Whoever dreams up these David Wright rumors needs to just stop.
05:50 AM on 02/07/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Quote:
Last offseason, the Red Sox traded for Adrian Gonzalez, who had one year remaining on a prior extension worked out with the Padres. Gonzalez was due $6.3 million for 2011, in the final year of a four-year, $9.5 million deal, but it was obvious that the Red Sox had every intention of working out a long-term deal. He was the solution at first base both now and into the future and an extension was a foregone conclusion after the December deal.

But the actual extension wasnít announced until mid-April, after the season had begun. The Red Sox extended Gonzalez for $154 million over seven years, but in waiting to announce the terms until after the season had started, they avoided a substantial increase in their luxury tax calculable payroll.
For purposes of the luxury tax, the average annual value of a contract is factored in, not the specific salary owed that season. When a player gets extended under normal circumstances, with one year remaining on a prior deal, the entire obligation is averaged in calculating payroll. If the Red Sox announced the extension in December, then they would effectively combine the 4-yr/$9.5 million and the 7-yr/$154 million contracts into one lump deal. All of a sudden, Gonzalezís 2011 luxury tax calculable payroll is $18 million, not $6.3, because it is treated as an 11-yr/$165 million deal.

By waiting to announce the deal, the Sox were able to save a ton of money for luxury tax purposes while still keeping their guy in town. Itís possible that the Phillies are taking this route. Being so close to the luxury tax threshold this year, the savings in average annual value between Hamelsí current $15 million salary and the ~$18 million average annual value with an extension taken into account is of material significance.

Would be nice if that was the case.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version